Booster on school bus for 4-year-old

Elee

At 41 LBs and 42.5 inches tall, my son recently outgrew the car seats provided by the school for their small school bus. I realize that it is legal and not considered unsafe... but he seems so tiny (all by himself, naked w/o the protection of the car seat) sitting right next to the numerous car seats on the bus. I can only imagine him getting crushed between the car seats in an accident.

My other concern is -- although he doesn't sleep often on the bus, once I did see him leaned over the edge of the seat with his head protruding into the aisle; clearly the standard seat belt on the bus cannot keep him in upright when he falls asleep.

Can anyone recommend some kind of booster seat for him on the bus?
(The school will use it if I provide it, but it must be compatible w/ the lap belt that they have.)

Thanks so much in advance! :)

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
If there is only a lap belt, he cannot use a booster: he must use a harnessed seat. I agree that the Maestro would be a good choice.

Elee

Is this a public or private school? Does he have an IEP? Is this a special education school?

What is your budget?

It's a private school bus (he missed the public school age cut-off for kindergarten by 2 months!).

What is an IEP?

No, it's not special ed. The school is for age 2 through kindergarten, so they use small school busses with car seats to transport the kids.

Budget is somewhat flexible, as this seat can be passed down to his younger sib(s).

Elee

One more question...

The bus driver told me that her son would refuse to go into a car seat (or anything that looks like a car seat) for the school bus, especially if he's already been riding without it for a few months. I'm not sure about my son... He's generally more agreeable than many kids, but a new kindergardeners may not want to go back to a car seat if only the "younger" kids are using them...

She mentioned that she had seen a booster seat with a low back or no back that had been provided by a parent in the past... She's doesn't remember much about it, but it doesn't look as much like a car seat as his Nautilus or the Maestro...

Is that an option for the bus? If so, which models do you recommend?

Thanks!

Maedze

One more question...

The bus driver told me that her son would refuse to go into a car seat (or anything that looks like a car seat) for the school bus, especially if he's already been riding without it for a few months. I'm not sure about my son... He's generally more agreeable than many kids, but a new kindergardeners may not want to go back to a car seat if only the "younger" kids are using them...

She mentioned that she had seen a booster seat with a low back or no back that had been provided by a parent in the past... She's doesn't remember much about it, but it doesn't look as much like a car seat as his Nautilus or the Maestro...

Is that an option for the bus? If so, which models do you recommend?

Thanks!

No, that is absolutely NOT an option. Those seats can ONLY be used with a lap-shoulder belt. Putting a child in a lap belt and booster is a recipe for a serious or fatal abdominal injury.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Right. I know some of the smaller private school buses do have lap shoulder belts-- if they do, a booster is an option. But if not, it's a very bad idea (not to mention not allowed by any booster manufacturer) to use it with a lap-only belt on ANY vehicle.

Elee

Right. I know some of the smaller private school buses do have lap shoulder belts-- if they do, a booster is an option. But if not, it's a very bad idea (not to mention not allowed by any booster manufacturer) to use it with a lap-only belt on ANY vehicle.

No, that is absolutely NOT an option. Those seats can ONLY be used with a lap-shoulder belt. Putting a child in a lap belt and booster is a recipe for a serious or fatal abdominal injury.

Yikes!!! :eek: Thanks, that's important for me to know!

I will have to find out if their busses have shoulder belts... I think probably not though... Is there such as thing as a "low-back" booster that won't look so much like a car seat and can be used w/ a lap belt?

Maedze

Yikes!!! :eek: Thanks, that's important for me to know!

I will have to find out if their busses have shoulder belts... I think probably not though... Is there such as thing as a "low-back" booster that won't look so much like a car seat and can be used w/ a lap belt?

No. The only safe option for a lap belt is a harnessed seat.

Keep in mind that children also must have head support to the tops of their ears. Bus seat backs are usually quite low, so you NEED that high backed shell of a harnessed seat to protect their heads and necks.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I was thinking that I've seen a few buses that have lap-only belts in all but a few seating positions, but do provide a shoulder. It really really depends on the bus, so I thought I'd mention it. Or, if there's another bus available to pick him up that is newer and DOES provide shoulder belts-- etc. :)

Another question-- if there are only lap belts, what do the children not in harnessed seats ride in? Do they use the lap belts, or not use them?

There are also school-bus specific restraints that have a harness but have a lower profile and might not look so much like a "car seat" to him.

But they are much more expensive; I'd not even worry about it until you find out whether it's even an issue. (I bet it won't be, if you just explain that he needs to be safe on the bus like he is in the car.)

Elee

No. The only safe option for a lap belt is a harnessed seat.

Keep in mind that children also must have head support to the tops of their ears. Bus seat backs are usually quite low, so you NEED that high backed shell of a harnessed seat to protect their heads and necks.

Wait... Are you saying that it NOT SAFE for him to be on the bus without the harnessed car seat? The back of the bus seat is plenty higher than his head... Is that enough of the "head support", or must he be in a high-back booster with the support that curves around the head?

The other kids on the bus sit "naked" once they reach 4 or outgrow the car seat, unless the parent specifically requests otherwise. That makes me a bit nervous... I need to make a decision right away and buy something if needed before school starts in Sept!

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Wait... Are you saying that it NOT SAFE for him to be on the bus without the harnessed car seat? The back of the bus seat is plenty higher than his head... Is that enough of the "head support", or must he be in a high-back booster with the support that curves around the head?

He can't use a high-backed booster with only lapbelt.

What she is saying is that because your son's bus has only lapbelts, the safest choice would be a harnessed seat that installs with the lapbelt.

Really, at this point, you have two choices:

(1) Get a harnessed seat that can be installed with the school bus's lapbelt.
(2) Have your son ride in only a lapbelt on the bus.

The safest choice would be a harnessed seat. :) While school buses do offer "compartmentalization" in an accident (which I am not sure works with a lapbelt... I just don't know), it would be optimal for your son to be in a harnessed seat. The school is offering to allow you to provide a seat. I would take the school up on that offer!

Elee

I was thinking that I've seen a few buses that have lap-only belts in all but a few seating positions, but do provide a shoulder. It really really depends on the bus, so I thought I'd mention it. Or, if there's another bus available to pick him up that is newer and DOES provide shoulder belts-- etc. :)

Another question-- if there are only lap belts, what do the children not in harnessed seats ride in? Do they use the lap belts, or not use them?

There are also school-bus specific restraints that have a harness but have a lower profile and might not look so much like a "car seat" to him.

But they are much more expensive; I'd not even worry about it until you find out whether it's even an issue. (I bet it won't be, if you just explain that he needs to be safe on the bus like he is in the car.)

After he came out of the car seat, he used the lap belt, sitting next to the car seat for his younger sister. The school told me that he's safe with just the lap belt... until I found him slumped over w/ his head in the aisle, as mentioned above...

The "school-bus restraints" sound great to me! What are some names so I can look into it further? Thanks!!!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
A lap-only belt is not safe for anyone at any time. It is especially unsafe for a small child, because the belt is likely to ride high on the belly. In a crash, thousands of pounds of force will be directed into the soft tissues of the abdomen. This is "seatbelt syndrome" and it can be fatal. Riding in a lap-only belt is not an option that should even be on the table here.

ETA: The Safeguard Star is one bus-only restraint.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
One of the most popular is the STAR and STAR Plus seats by Safeguard/IMMI. There are other brands but that is often said to be easiest to use and install.

I agree that a lap-only seat is not a safe choice for children, even on a bus.

It might behoove the school to look into this issue, because the STAR seats are designed to fit 2 in a row, just like children normally do, and might be a good investment for them to keep ALL their bus riders safe.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC