Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Update on Texas booster bills

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...80R&Bill=HB118

"Reported favorably w/o amendment(s)"

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillL...=80R&Bill=SB60

"Reported favorably w/o amendments"

Looks to me... unless I'm just reading into it... that it's looking pretty good?
    Mom to a Crew! Boys 10, 6, 4 and 2 and Girls 9 and 2!
    Don't ask me if I'm having more, I may be tempted to say yes!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Re: Update on Texas booster bills

That sounds positive to me.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

CPST Instructor

Yes, It has been going really well getting the House reps & Senate on board with this bill. We sent down 8 techs just from our coalition in Feb & early March to sit down with them and go over the bill and the benefits. They had some resistents the first meeting from 1 senator but one of our techs/instructors talked with her one on one and showed her how a booster seat worked and how it helps save childrens lives. Her opinion changed quickly.

We have strong hopes that this bill will pass this year. I am not wanting to count my chickens before they hatch but I am crossing everything I can too. Because I can finally tell parents that the law is 8yrs old & 4'9". I do tell them best practice right now but many parents just want to skate by on what the law is and not what is safest for their child.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

Carseat Crazy

So I am guessing this didn't pass. Oh well at least my child will be harnessed as long as possible and in a booster till he passes the 5-step test.

Jenn

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by jennsmile View Post
    So I am guessing this didn't pass. Oh well at least my child will be harnessed as long as possible and in a booster till he passes the 5-step test.

Jenn
    No it didn't pass
    Julie mommy to
    Rylee- 6yrs 40# 43" - Madison Regent
    Hannah- 4yrs 37# 40" - Madison Regent
    Ashlynn- 34 months 28# 33" - Brooke MA

I was trying to decipher the 'schedule' on those 2 sites. I'm completely clueless on it. How can you tell that they voted and it didn't pass?

I guess I'll continue to walk to the beat of my own drummer and keep dd in her harnesses until she's older, no matter what the minimalist law dictates. Crazy State.
    My Munchkin -- Nov 2008--5 years, 45.5", 42lbs
    Current Stats: 12 years old /5'5/ 115lbs/ Seatbelt

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Phillip K. Dick

Quote Originally Posted by Morganthe View Post
    I guess I'll continue to walk to the beat of my own drummer and keep dd in her harnesses until she's older, no matter what the minimalist law dictates. Crazy State.
    I think that you are one of many in a large drum section, lol.
    I don't understand why lawmakers did not find this to be a good idea. Especially here in a state that has a huge problem with uninsured people and the tax payers are flipping the bill for them allowing their children to go in cars, trucks and even truck beds without proper restraints.
    Peggy, RN-Critical Care and Emergency Medicine, CPST and Mommy to Connor (2/05) in a Graco Highback TurboBooster with Safety Surround

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Morganthe View Post
    I was trying to decipher the 'schedule' on those 2 sites. I'm completely clueless on it. How can you tell that they voted and it didn't pass?

I heard it over on Delphi a week or so ago. No matter what the law says my kids will be harnessed as long as possible and then into a HBB until they pass the 5-step test.
    Julie mommy to
    Rylee- 6yrs 40# 43" - Madison Regent
    Hannah- 4yrs 37# 40" - Madison Regent
    Ashlynn- 34 months 28# 33" - Brooke MA