Played with the new Britaxes today

Splash

No pictures since I was not expecting them to be there.

They suck.

They look nicer, they're lower profile, the base is rubbery so non-slip. Other than that, they suck.

Loads of plastic, very cheap feeling. And SMALL. Charlie comfortably sits in a regular MA about halfway between 3rd and 4th slots. He was WAY over the top in the new ones. Sam is barely over the second slot in a regular MA and he had less than 2 inches in the new one. And I had to SHOVE Charlie into it. You think the Como has no shoulder room? Wait till you see this kid.

Exceptionally difficult to reach the harness adjuster, and the headrest up/down was easy enough to adjust from the BACK of the seat, but from the front was very difficult. And it was very cheap feeling. The whole seat felt cheap. And the BV looked ridiculous with the headrest all the way up. What got me the most though was how SMALL they were inside. Still enormous outside, but their interior dimensions were horrible.

Major step down, IMO. If I go back tomorrow, I'll take some pictures. I texted from from my phone to some members here to show how low the top slots were. And I had the old seats as well to compare, so I know where my kids lined up in old versus new.

Glad I didn't pre-order one!

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Hmmm, interesting. Because except for the slightly shorter RF height (which doesn't matter to me) I really liked it a lot. :twocents:

Heck, my 4Y9M DD still fits RF! And was quite comfortable.

love-pink

I'm hoping the brus has them tomorrow when I go so I can play with one. I want to get dd out of the avenue asap. I think the new britax 70s are going to be hit or miss for a lot of peopple.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
One of my local BRUs told me that they were hoping to have the new seats within the next month, but that they didn't have any in store yet.

I was only able to see the seat at a boutique-type store.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I'm curious about the top slot comments, I've measured and double checked and had others check. I find the top setting to be just as high if not up to a half inch higher than the old shell, at least in the Marathon 70 I have. Can you bring a ruler and compare to the photos I added to my review today? I'd like to see what the discrepancy is. As for interior dimensions and limits, I just didn't see big differences over a half an inch or so.

My DS is clearly approaching the limits of the new MA70, but he seemed a hair closer to the limits in the original BLVD CS. I wonder if the new MA70 varies at all from the BLVD 70 people have seen in stores because of the head rest?

As for the other comments, it will be interesting to see what people think now that they are hitting shelves. I didn't find it to be cheap feeling or difficult to adjust at all, as I have with some other models from time to time.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I haven't seen one IRL, and probably won't for a long long time, but I'm not excited about them. I really wanted to be, but just can't get there. Because of the shorter RF height, I would have no use for one anyway, except maybe when Griff outgrows the SR35, but there are other seats that I think I :love: much more than these.

Splash

It's possible there was another set of slots somewhere, but I doubt it. And it might be that I just couldn't FIT Charlie into it width wise. He was majorly cramped.
I liked the way they looked and I think they'd install easier, but the plastic connections and the flimsy harness slide put me off. That and my kid, who adored his MA and still wants it back, couldn't complain loudly enough how uncomfortable this one was.

cowgirlsmommy

Wow that stinks! I keep hoping to see one but haven't found one locally yet. I love my Radian so I'll probably just try to get one of those to work in hubby's car too.

arly1983

I found one, too, while out without my children and I did have the RA50 to compare and it was funny that Splash used the cheap to discribe them because I couldn't think of a word.

It actually reminded me of the AOE in terms of overall "feel" if you know what I mean (not in measurements or features) It felt more plastic-y and I abhor the marathon70 in the top position with the non-headrest sticking up over the shell. (didn't see a BV70)

I didn't have my tape measure or a child but used my arm (really accurate, I know) and I thought it was narrower and shorter shelled and the top slots were shorter. I was pressing down pretty hard but then this was my arm we are talking about so take this all with a grain of salt. :whistle:

So that is just playing with it, I have no desire to own it for the MSRP price. Maybe half price...

Last edited:

firemomof3

Ya, I'm really not sure what Britax is doing...or what they're thinking :confused: I was expecting so much more from their new convertibles, its very dissapointing :thumbsdown:

msg221

DH and I are heading to brunch and there is a BRU in the same shopping center so I think I will be sending him into Barnes & Noble next door, while I see if BRU has the new Britaxes. He won't be thrilled with checking out new car seats with me! I wish I could take my godchildren with me (2 year olds) so I could try them in the seats, but right now their 5 year-old cousin is visiting and I would feel bad taking them someplace and leaving him at home. Maybe next weekend, since he will be going home on Friday.

I had been thinking that if the new Britaxes were much improved, I would get one of those and give my TFP to my goddaughter's mom for their vehicle (she has a BLVD right now). But if that isn't the case, I will probably just buy her a TF as well.

canadiangie

I'm starting to get really bummed here. I had so hoped this would be my answer. I can't keep my Radians from falling down anymore. My girls are getting too heavy.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I took my tape measure to see a Boulevard 70 or Advocate 70 today to compare to the Marathon 70. TRU doesn't have them. Buy Buy Baby doesn't have them until the end of the month. BRU apparently had them, but would not bring them out until they are sold out of the previous models that are on clearance. Oh well!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, we all know what this means... I'll probably love it. Splash and I seem to have completely opposite opinions about all seats :D

Though I am generally fond of the solid feel of a good ol' Britax or Radian or TF or Recaro, and moving down to the less-solid feel of a AOE or or EFTA (which is solid, but still yet not quite a MA or RN or TF...) might not be appealing to me :/.

serabi

They came in yesterday? today? at our BRU. I am probably going to go check them out later. I was hoping I'd like them though...but cheap feeling does not sound appealing. boo.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC