Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Registered User 5Phillips_family's Avatar

Exclamation Britax Roundabout

Alright we purchased a Britax roundabout for our middle child. We LOVED how big and cushy these seats are, however, when we actually put our son in this seat we realized he is WAY TO TALL! At 2 years old he is to tall for the roundabout. Now I understand he is a tall child but he is well within the weight perameters I had no idea he wouldn't fit. There are no height suggestions on this seat that we could find, so just incase any of you are thinking of purchasing this seat, be wary if you have a tall child. We are saving this seat for our third child, maybe she can use it for her forward facing, since you CAN NOT use the roundabout for a rear facing car seat. We really had no idea about that. Next time I think we will purchase the marathon instead. Kind of an expensive mistake at almost 200$.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

morrissey

Re: Britax Roundabout

According to the Britax website the Roundabout is rear-facing from 5-33pounds or up to one year old.

http://www.britaxusa.com/products.cf...97367E0C5B9295

I would like to know where you are getting your information from.

The only seat (non-booster) that Britax sells that does not have a rear-facing option is the Regent.

james

We used our RA rearfacing until dd's head was about 1 inch from the top of the shell. Britax told me I could use it rearfacing until her head was even with the shell, but I wasn't comfortable with that. It took her to age 3 rearfacing. She will be 5 in less than 3 months and would still fit forward facing, but I gave the seat away. We miss it, we loved that seat!

My dd is rather petite. Your ds must be very long torsoed to be too tall already. Are his shoulders above the top slots? Are the tips of his ears above the shell?

The Marathon is really a better deal. My middle dd got 3 more years use out of the MA after she got too tall for the RA. Unfortunately, nearly every seat made is outgrown in height before weight for most kids.
    Mom to three big girls in adult seat belts (20, 17, and 14) and one booster rider (8) in a Kia Sedona and a VW Tiguan.

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

Yes, the Roundabout is most definitely a rear-facing AND forward-facing seat. It should say so right on the seat's stickers, and in the manual.

Is your middle child's shoulders over the top slots of the seat?

It is actually very common for kids to be too tall for a seat before reaching the weight limit; the vast majority of kids outgrow the vast majority of harnessed seats by height before weight.

Most 40 pound weight limit seats lasted my tall girl to 30-35 pounds and then she was too tall (shoulders over top slots). The 65 pound weight limit convertibles by Britax were outgrown around 45 pounds, she may have a smidge of room left in a Sunshine Kids Radian now, but I can't be positive.

Saving a seat for future use is not very cost-effective because seats expire six years after they are manufactured; if you can't get use out of it now, I'd try to return it or sell it to recoup some of the cost and get a more appropriate seat for your current needs.

However, your baby can rear-face in the Roundabout.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Senior Community Member broken4u05's Avatar

Yeah the roundabout is RF to 33 pounds just not as liked because it is shorter than the MA.
    Kristina- Nanny to Jack and Drew now 3 years old Not a mother yet.

Senior Community Member broken4u05's Avatar

It is RF to 33 pounds just like the other seats MA, RA, BV but has a shorter shell so most people do not buy them
    Kristina- Nanny to Jack and Drew now 3 years old Not a mother yet.

CPS Technician

I've wondered that about the Roundabout, just like the Safe Seat 2. It doesn't seem like a good investment.

If I was the OP, I would return it and look at the MA.

At a check up event recently, I did a very non tech thing: I told parents who stated they had researched seats (good 'ol consumer reports I think) that since their 4/5 mon. was at/over 20 lbs. - just a big guy, they might want to consider the MA for additional harness weight and height.

For about $50 more than the Roundabout, you get other 25 lbs and several inches w/an MA.
    The Safe Seat is only useful for 5-10 pounds, assuming you are keeping your child RF for as long as the seat will allow.

Senior Community Member

I have two Roundabouts and two Marathons. While it's certainly true that the Roundabouts are outgrown faster rearfacing, they did take my 97th percentile tong-torsoed daughter frontfacing to just past her third birthday. (Of course, I had to buy Marathons then!) The harness adjuster is easier to use than the MA's, and they are just awesome for travel--so much better than the Marathon.

I don't think they're a total waste of money. Maybe more like a luxury for the car seat collectors among us. (I'm glad I can keep switching back and forth between RAs and MAs, depending on my needs. Right now DD is RF in a Marathon because she is closing in on the 30 lb weight limit on our older RAs. But she'll go back in the RA FF until she outgrows that, just because I like the seat better.)
    DD#1 (7 y, 5 mo, 54 in, 68 lbs ) Clek Olli
    DD#2 (4 y, 2 months, 43 in, 42 lbs) Britax Marathon

CPS Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by 5Phillips_family View Post
    Alright we purchased a Britax roundabout for our middle child. We LOVED how big and cushy these seats are, however, when we actually put our son in this seat we realized he is WAY TO TALL! At 2 years old he is to tall for the roundabout. Now I understand he is a tall child but he is well within the weight perameters I had no idea he wouldn't fit. There are no height suggestions on this seat that we could find, so just incase any of you are thinking of purchasing this seat, be wary if you have a tall child. We are saving this seat for our third child, maybe she can use it for her forward facing, since you CAN NOT use the roundabout for a rear facing car seat. We really had no idea about that. Next time I think we will purchase the marathon instead. Kind of an expensive mistake at almost 200$.
    I believe that it says on the side of the seat, the height maximums, or maybe that is on the MA. I would say in the manual for sure.
    Lori (I drive Cadillac Escalade ESV) SAHM to Brooks 9/13/01 seatbelt only, Brady 7/4/03 seatbelt only, Kinsadie 2/23/08 Pink Britax Frontier, and Brakin David 6/7/10 FF in a cowmooflage Britax Frontier Clicktight

CPS Technician

I believe that it says on the side of the seat, the height maximums, or maybe that is on the MA. I would say in the manual for sure.

All seats have minimum/maximum height/weight on the label of the seat (and in the manual). However, as you will frequently see on this forum, while weight limits are absolute, height is not - it is a guide.

As long as the child fits the harness correctly and their ears are not above the shell of the seat (ff), or there is about 1 1/2" of shell above their head(rf), the seat may be used even if the child is taller than the label states.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

CPS Technician

Correct, every seat has a label (and a manual) that states height and weight range for the occupant. However, as is frequently discussed on this formum, weight ranges are absolute, but height is not. If a child fits correctly:
    • Harness slot at or above shoulders, ears are not above the shell (ff)
    • Harness slot at or below shoulders, 1 1/2" of shell above their head (rf)
    the seat is appropriate for the child. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->