Newbie saying Hi and HELP!!!!

Emi

Hi all - My Name is Emily from the UK and Mummy to 8 year old twin boys (using Maxi cosi Rodi XP - very happy with them) and a 22 month old girl (using Maxi cosi Tobi - 5 point 18kg limit) - I have been on here reading up and getting more and nore confused about the best way to go for my rather heavy daughter!
She is 22 months old and weighing in at 37lb - she is a rock solid little pudding standing at 90cm with a seated shoulder height of 13"!! my problem is that her car Maxi cosi Tobi car seat is only tested to 18kg which is roughly 39. something lb so terrified about getting the right next car seat - she is not mature enough to go into a belt position booster which is about all that is available here in the UK and (infact Europe) after 18kg.

What I need is:
* 5 point harness (to say 65 - 70lb)
* Recline positions that can adjusted while the seat is fitted.
* Locking clips on the car seat (non locking seat belts in Uk vehicles)

I am aware that the Britax 2 way elite exists (available from only ONE Uk shop) but the recline position has to be selected before fitting and the seat it's self to me does not look substantial - hardly anything around the child (especially compared to the large encasing shell of her MC Tobi) so it dosen't really fit the bill.
I have been looking at (breaking the law I know- but I know 5 point is safest at her age) importing from the USA, it's going to cost me about $150 or £100 ish on P&P and then import tax on top but there are soooooooooo many seats that harness over 18kg

I like the look of the:

Britax Boulevard 70 - How does the recline work?
Recaro ProRide - Worried about locking clips only being belt guides? - No FF recline?
Recaro ProSport - but research says it has no locking clips, non locking seat belts here.
The First Years true fit convertable - not a make available in the Uk so not sure of the quality?

What do you guys & experts think - any other reccomendations???

Many thanks in advance

Emily (and little Lumplet)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you're going to import illegally, I'd import from Sweden and get a rear facing seat that will last her a lot longer. The Boulevard 70 wouldn't be my first choice here in the US. The True Fit is a convertible, so it goes from rear to forward, and she's over the rear facing weight limit, so why get something you'll use half of? Same with the Recaro ProRide, but the ProSport would be an option, if she was going to be kept forward facing (did you see this from the BBC last year? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8094829.stm).

I'd look at Swedish seats. Anything that goes to 45+ pounds rear facing. In the US I'd look at the Sunshine Kids Radian 80SL or XTSL, that'd be about it for rear facing.

Wendy

Jennifer mom to my 7

If you're going to import illegally, I'd import from Sweden and get a rear facing seat that will last her a lot longer. The Boulevard 70 wouldn't be my first choice here in the US. The True Fit is a convertible, so it goes from rear to forward, and she's over the rear facing weight limit, so why get something you'll use half of? Same with the Recaro ProRide, but the ProSport would be an option, if she was going to be kept forward facing (did you see this from the BBC last year? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8094829.stm).

I'd look at Swedish seats. Anything that goes to 45+ pounds rear facing. In the US I'd look at the Sunshine Kids Radian 80SL or XTSL, that'd be about it for rear facing.

Wendy

Wendy, she can get the 2-way elite. Which rear faces, correct? Let me see...http://shop.textalk.se/en/article.php?id=10208&art=1847999 Okay, rear facing to 55 pounds? 25 kg?

So, really, the best thing to do for your under 2 year old dd is to rear face her, and the two way elite will do that fabulously! Here is short and sweet video as to why rear face her, plus the carseatblog links:)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sssIsceKd6U"]YouTube- Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car[/ame]

http://carseatblog.com/?p=5168

twinsmom

Welcome!:)

If you want to import, I would absolutely import from Sweden and get either a Two Way Elite or a Multi Tech. Both RF to 55lbs.:thumbsup:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
There are shops that do sell the higher-weight rear-facing seats in the UK, too. I don't know if any are near you but there is a list at http://www.rearfacing.co.uk/buyersguide.php That site also has comparisons on features of the seats and fitting guides to help you fit your car.

Also, while I believe many do have lockoffs built in, if they do not you can use a separate locking clip (it may be called an H clip or a gated clip) to lock your seatbelts when installing the seat of your choice.

Emi

Oh my goodness!!! that is just a whole new can of worms - rear facing??!!??
Thanks for the links on you tube - scary!!
It sounds like a good idea in theory but virtually unheard of here! - I don't know of anyone with kiddo's RF past infant carrier stage - once bubs are about 20-25lb in the UK, us parents just get shown FF seats that last untill 18kg.
(LOL check me out using the Abreviations - I am managing to work most of them out, is there a list of what they all mean?)

As my dd has been FF for a year now how do you all think she will tolerate being spun around again??? I can't see her going for it - she has just started her terrible 2's and is very strong willed - I know I am the adult and make the decisions, but after a year of FF and her 2 big brothers FF aswell I can see this being a battle (and taking up all the car?) - how do you get a heafty nearly 2 year old in those rear facing seats, she is in the middle (Ford Galaxy) and I have very weak wrists (carpal tunnel)

Sounds lilke I need a whole lot more information and guidance (more research)

Thanks for the help so far XX

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I re-rear-faced my 3 1/2 year old after a year and a half FF and she did not say a word, rode that way until she outgrew the seat again.

I know several kiddos who have been re-rear-faced sometimes after years and do fine, and others who are part-time RF-- RF in some cars, FF in others, and go back and forth without a complaint.

RF is often more fun for them-- more leg support, so more comfy than dangly legs, and a much better view!

Check out the rest of the site I linked above-- it has a lot of really great information.

mommy-medic

Hi there and welcome- thanks so much for stopping in! A bit of preparation ahead of time will pay off in the end if you ever NEED your car seat to do what it's designed to do. We are glad you've posted your questions.

Edited because I just re-read your original post- If you are looking at importing and want a higher weight 5 point harness, I would avoid Britax- very limited leg room for rear facing, and they only allow recline to be used forward facing up to 33 pounds. The recaro seats are VERY narrow as far as interior room goes- so if you have a child that is anything above petite they will likely be squished in the shoulders. I don't have any alternative suggestions to offer that fit what you are looking for specifically, but the seat I use will rear-face to 45 pounds, forward face in a 5 pt harness to 80 lbs (will tall top slots so they aren't outgrown too early), but doesn't offer recline for forward facing.

I'm across the pond so not the best resource, but I am a firefighter and paramedic, and can say firsthand that if you are at all able to rear-face your daughter, it makes a HUGE difference in the outcome after a crash. Even in a side-impact collision children are better protected while rear facing because of the recline and rotation.

My youngest is 3 and a half, weighs 36 lbs (about 16 kilos) and still rides rear facing. She is in a Sunshine Kids Radian 80 XTSL in Flora. I had other seats but finally got this one because it allows rear facing to 45 lbs (about 20 kilos) and has a steel frame. It also allows her a lot more leg room than other seats available here in the states. (I also know that some of the higher weight, rear facing seats available to you have considered leg room and offer quite a few options that seats available to me don't offer, so take that with a grain of salt.)

Here is a pic of her last fall:
Jordansphone105.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC