Accident info

canadiannancy

What are the guidelines with regards to car seats and accidents? We were in our first car accident this week. Hit another car directly, damage to our front end, hood crumpled, lights broke, radiator bent etc, while we were pulled over exchanging details with the other driver, a car hit us in the rear, pushed us forward a few feet, not much more then a few scratches to our back end.

Long story but, what are the guidelines with regards to our car seats? I had all 4 kids in the car at the time of the accident, in their seats of course. Is there a amount of damage before they are considered unusable? Or a speed? Any information would be appreciated.

ADS

Maedze

All the seats need to be replaced. There are a very small number of seats in a very specific sort of minor accidents that may be able to be used again, but it sounds like yours aren't anywhere near qualifying even if they were the correct brands.

canadiangie

Per Transport Canada the seats need to be replaced. We don't have any "minor crash" versus "severe crash" or anything in between guidelines up here. Crash = replacement of seat(s). Period.

How old are your children, what do they weigh, what were they riding in, and what do you/will you be driving?

dogmelissa

Yep, Angie is right! I hope everyone is ok from the crash - if you haven't yet been, take everyone to see a chiropractor. Doctors aren't qualified to diagnose spinal injuries: we were in a minor vehicle collision 4 weeks ago and all of us, including DD who was safely and securely riding in her Radian, sustained grade 2 whiplash. It sounds strange and I was really confused as to how she got hurt but then logic kicked in: hers isn't so much whiplash as it is the muscles on each side of her spine in her mid-back got stretched too much because her harness held her hips and shoulders still but her head moved, which pulled on her spine just enough to injure the muscles. :(

I'm not sure how it works in Ontario, but in Alberta, regardless of fault - your situation is going to be a little complicated especially if the kids were still in the car at the time of the second impact - you are entitled to a certain amount of treatment for any injuries that you received in the crash. I believe that Ontario has a similar system to Alberta in this regard so be sure to ask your insurance about a bodily claim.

If your insurance company is reimbursing the cost of the seats, you will almost for sure be required to either hand over your crashed seats to your insurance company or prove that you've made them un-usable (cut harnesses on harnessed seats, I have no idea how you make a booster un-usable) but you should be able to keep the covers if you get replacement seats that they fit on.

Good luck, HTH and hope everyone is ok.
Melissa

LittlePeanut

As other have said, all car seats need to be replaced. I would remove the covers and take the locking clips if they were not in use at the time. Then take advantage of the trade in event at BRU (on until the 29th I think) for 20% off their new seats if they properly fit your children/car.

canadiannancy

The kids are
Kyra 5 years old, 42 inches 40 lbs in generations booster
Zoe 3 years old 40 inches 39 lbs in triumph advanced
CAllie 2 years old 37 inches 35 lbs in alpha omega elite
Xavier 12 monthes old in a safeseat1 23lbs and 30 inches

Called insurance this morning and they said that the car seats are part of our home insurance and that we would have to try to pursuade the adjuster to put it thru our car claim(as deductible is $1000 for home insurance.)

Maedze

The kids are

Called insurance this morning and they said that the car seats are part of our home insurance and that we would have to try to pursuade the adjuster to put it thru our car claim(as deductible is $1000 for home insurance.)

Nonsense. If you have a comprehensive policy they need to cover it less your deductible (assuming the primary accident was your fault). Call back and be the squeaky wheel.

The Generations does not make a good booster and I don't suggest using it as such. An inexpensive dedicated high back booster that would fit a five year old well is the Graco Turbobooster.

For the three year old, a good combination seat like the Graco Nautilus or Britax Frontier XT would be appropriate.

The two year old and one year old should have rear facing convertibles. I'll let Canadian techs cover the best bets :thumbsup:

canadiannancy

The generations is being used as a harnessed seat(it harnesses to 65), due to oldest falling asleep often(daily after school and on long drives) in her seat not being comfortable with her in a booster.

I hope insurance does cover, because DH says he would rather have the kids in the crashed seats then no seats and if not covered, we cannot afford to buy 4 car seats.

Maedze

Ah, a Generations 65 :)

How do her shoulders measure up to the top slots in that seat?

Riding in crashed seats is not 'good enough'. You have absolutely no idea what those seats will do to your children if there's ever another crash, kwim?

The seats must be replaced, really, before your children ride in the car again, even if it means buying basic, bare bones products and 'upgrading' as you get the money.

canadiannancy

I agree. If it is unsafe for them to be used. They will not be. However I see his point and even barebones seats for allof them will be over 500 bucks with tax, and our income is disability, so if they are not covered.....well, I just see his point.

We do have comprehensive insurance, since we do not own our vehicle and are making payments to the dealer, so I hope they will be covered.

Maedze

I'll let other people comment on barebones solutions, but a temporary option for your 5 year old would be a backless booster like the Cosco High-Rise, and I'd get rear facing Sceneras for the littles. I'm not sure what the cheapest HWH seat for the three year old is, though.

BudgieStew

The kids are

I'd fight that unless there is some clear policy that stats that the car seats are not covered under car insurance. Our insurance (Bel Air-we are in Quebec)considered the car seats as part of the car claim since it is not something that would be removed each time you get out and lock up like a IPOD, cell phone , etc.

Of course they did not cover the full amount of what the seats cost new( 2 year old seats) even with pictures and receipts.

I think the final chq. amount for the seats did not even cover what one of the seats cost new. But it was something even if it was annoying because it was not our fault. They didn't send us the chq. until about 6 months after when the entire claim was closed.

Good Luck.

canadiannancy

I am in Ontario and we are insured thru State Farm.

And in our case the accident was our fault. I am really not sure what the heck happened, it was after picking my Mom up from the train station in Toronto and I think DH was just a bit distracted. But even though our accident was our fault, I expect insurance to cover reasonable costs except for the deductible, as that is what i pay insurance for.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Carseats are considered to be equipment that is *normally installed in your vehicle*--just like seats, seatbelts, etc. Therefore it should be covered under your vehicle insurance policy just as any other vehicle component that was OEM provided. It doesn't matter whose fault--that's why we have insurance!

-N.

canadiannancy

After getting the runaround, the lat I have heard from STATE farm was that I just needed to buy "comparable seats" and bring the receipts to my agent for reimbursement.

So I have now remeasured the kids, since weights were....off in my earlier estimates.

Kyra is 45lbd and 42 inches(5 yeasr)
zoe is 40 lbs and 40 inches(3 years)
callie is 38 lbs and 37 inches(2 years)
xavier is 23 lbs and 30 inches(one year)

I have been offered a loan with confirmation insurance will reimburse to get the kids into non crashed seats. What would be recomendation for all of them? Ideally I would like them all harnessed, due to a lot of driving and oldest so not being ready for belt positioning booster yet, and if possible convertible rearfacing for the youngest 2. Our Van is 99% sure a total loss, so we don't know which vehicle they will be going into, hopefully a post 2001 minivan.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC