Britax 70 series...

kidnurse

I am not such a big fan of Britax, I used to be back in the day, but with a bigger than average kid, not so much anymore. Anyway, are the Britax 70's the new seats everyone has been waiting for to come out? If so I have pics of my almost 2yr old in the Marathon 70 and the Boulevard 70, pics in #4

Overall I was not too impressed. My son would only fit these seats for a very short amount of time, his shoulders are just a hair under the top slot. :thumbsdown: T is 22 1/2 months, 32 lbs, and I will go measure his torse length now if I can find a tape measure.

ETA: DS is 35 1/2 inches overall, torse length is 14 1/2 inches

Last edited:
ADS

tracee877

I would love to see pics! My DS is about the same age and size as yours only a little lighter. I will PM you.:)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Rear-facing, it's close to an inch less compared to the height limit of the previous models, based on the top of the shell. Front-facing, it's perhaps a half inch higher than the previous models, based on the top harness slot height setting (depending how you measure).

tracee877

Here are kidnurse's pics, I have permission to post them.:)

BV 70 CS lowest setting
08131018009501_1_.jpg

Highest setting
08131018019501_1_.jpg

T 22.5 months, 14.5" torso
08131018029501_1_.jpg

Harness at highest
0813101803_1_.jpg

MA 70
08131018049501_1_.jpg

Lowest setting
08131018059501_1_.jpg

Highest setting
0813101806a9501_1_.jpg

0813101806b9501_1_.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think it goes a touch higher than that, but I'm not positive.

4886520591_66c38c751a.jpg

That's Laine at 10.5, nearly 11 months. About five inches above her shoulder. Her TFP top slots are just below the top of her head. I don't know how Britax is getting .75" taller on this.

Wendy

kidnurse

It does look like you got it higher than I did. I had a 2 yr old on the loose at BRU, he kept taking off between pics. I had a hard time with getting the harness pulled out as far as it would go too, the catch seemed to be buried and upside down compared to what I am used to. In general I found it rather difficult to adjust.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I really disliked getting it looser, but I suspect that was done to keep kids from being able to loosen it themselves. But I had to pull the cover back once or twice to see what I was aiming for.

Wendy

simplychels

YIKES! Those pictures make it look really short! My DD still has about 3inches of torso growth for rf'ing in her current MA, but I think I might have to try this one before I buy it now. I was going to pre-order but perhaps I'll wait.

canadiangie

I have to say I am so confused about the new Britax line-up. Not ever have I felt so lost about a new seat (let's just take the MA for example). I feel like unless I put MY kid into one I won't have a fricking fracking clue how big/small or silly the seat is. :confused:

Momof4Girls

I was actually just coming on here to try to get some pics uploaded to post here, too. I did not get pics of all my kids in it, but I got some of my 30-lbs 4.5 y/o (she's my "benchmark" for RF seat fit b/c she's my biggest RFer).

First of all, I am in :love: with this seat, with the exception of the HEIGHT!! RF! My 4.5 y/o has about the same overhead room (on the test bench) in her current BLVD (the old style head wings...the first iteration after the WZ, of which I also have one, for comparison sake?) as she does in that one...not sure why it's comparable, when it measures shorter, but hey.

Off to upload pics....

sunnymw

To be fair..... pics taken IN the store just aren't as accurate.

More likely than not, it's in a FF position in the store (ie, really upright). When DS1 rides rear-facing in the EFTA he has a good 5-6-7" above his head. When he rides FFing... he has maybe 2-3". MAYBE. So FWIW, looking at this as an ERF seat, there's probably going to be a LOT more headroom once it's actually installed.

So... someone needs to install it RFing and get pics. :)

featherhead

To be fair..... pics taken IN the store just aren't as accurate.

More likely than not, it's in a FF position in the store (ie, really upright). When DS1 rides rear-facing in the EFTA he has a good 5-6-7" above his head. When he rides FFing... he has maybe 2-3". MAYBE. So FWIW, looking at this as an ERF seat, there's probably going to be a LOT more headroom once it's actually installed.

So... someone needs to install it RFing and get pics. :)

Darren and a few others did... I think the pics are in the reviews forum (whatever its called, can't remember).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=135236 (where it seems Darren finds it a little shorter RF and a little taller FF, I don't think Britax made that claim...)

Ok, now that they've cranked out stuff to make John Q Public happy (a tough adjuster? Good, I'm sick of reading about how toddlers are loosening their own harness :/ ), please will they release a special seat for us? We need a nice car-seat.org special release Multi Tech, and the BRU buyers can have their platinum hum drum :) (I still contend that In The Real World a seat that's a little shorter will fit in people's cars better and rearfacing longer than a year won't be a massive horrible inconvenience to dear old JQP).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I will be adding some new photos soon with my son in the MA70 vs a Boulevard CS. It wasn't quite so hot this morning as it was a few days ago. So, I took some more careful measurements and the differences are a little smaller than I thought, so I will update to that effect. The fabric slots ride real low when the BLVD is at the top height setting. With the fabric pushed aside, I would say the FF harness height is quite similar; the MA70 only being perhaps one quarter inch taller than the original BLVD.

As for rear-facing, the adjustable head rest of the new MA70 clearly adjusts taller than the one on the original BLVD. As for the shell itself, it's difficult to photograph. Because the shell is behind the head restraint, any slight angle of the camera can make a big difference. To the eye, the new model is perhaps one half inch shorter than the original, but definitely less than one inch. That's a little more consistent with Jeno's measurement following the review.

There will be a ton of comparison photos soon. Everyone will hold the ruler a little different. The camera angle will be skewed one way or the other. Results will easily vary a half inch or maybe more. Suffice to say that the outer shell of the new convertibles is a little shorter than the old ones and that the top harness height setting (at least in the MA70) is a hair higher but not significantly so.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
No, it doesn't. It's super thin and flexible (which is what Britax wanted). It's designed to move with the child's head forward facing in a frontal collision, to provide support.

Wendy

rosey2007

I think that I will have to make a trip to BRU and see for myself what these seats look like. I still have quite awhile before I need to buy a new car seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Not all. The two BRUs I went to the other day didn't have them. Should be within the next week, though.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC