Radian vs. Marathon in an '07 MazdaSpeed3

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I posted this on another forum for someone, so thought I would put it over here as well for a comparison of seats in a small car. Let me know if you see anything wrong.;)

The important thing is to have the base of the seat flush with the vehicle seat BOTTOM. Here is what mine looks like after installing it. You can see there is about a 1 - 2 inch gap between the back of the vehicle seat and the base of the carseat. You need to be careful when tightening the LATCH straps so they don't wrap around the built-in lock-offs. The front of the MA still touches the vehicle's seat back... just the base is pulled away from the bight of the seat.
429820363_6c818c8d2e.jpg

The seat is installed fairly upright. This is a pic of the seat.
429825151_81475bb970.jpg

Here is a pic of my DH's legs in the front passenger seat... he tells me he is fine and has enough leg room. He's 6'3". Yes, that is a plate in his hand... I made him come take a pic during supper. Man, I love him!
429820374_2139bbb67c.jpg

Here is a pic of Mikkel RF in the MA. He's 22 months, 26lbs, 34in, 13in torso. Mikkel can sleep with the seat installed at this angle. His head rests against the side of the MA and does not slump forward.
429825159_572f08ed10.jpg

This is my RF tether anchor location.
429820349_26ba2f90b5.jpg

Here's our current set-up... RF MA and FF Radian
429825169_6590b29030.jpg

Now, the bad news...
There is NO leg room for a front passenger with a RF Radian. Here are two pics. One is the Radian installed RF and the second is the leg room (or lack there-of) for the front passenger.
429820333_acb4c7cd7f.jpg

429820301_72de165c4f.jpg

I can not get the Radian to center install without having to move BOTH front seats up that far as well.

Hope that helps,
Jen in Canada
Aiden 03/28/02, FF Radian
Mikkel 05/05/05, RF MA

Last edited:
ADS

Dsunny1

CPST Instructor
I can't get the pictures to open for me. I used to have a Mazda 3, I now have the Mazda 5. My marathon also installed well rearfacing in both vehicles. I don't remember if there was any gap at the base or not. I hope you can repost the pictures so I can see what you took them of. :) Jen

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I can't get the pictures to open for me. I used to have a Mazda 3, I now have the Mazda 5. My marathon also installed well rearfacing in both vehicles. I don't remember if there was any gap at the base or not. I hope you can repost the pictures so I can see what you took them of. :) Jen

Okay, try that. Someday I will figure out this linking thing properly!;)

Jen

southpawboston

great info! that was my experience as well, when i test-fitted a BV and a radian in my mazda3... the BV had quite a good fit, the radian was a no-no.

your speed3 is the same color as my 3... sunlight silver. cool! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC