A new member here, and just to say hello and what we ordered

pdxa4

Hello to everyone here. Just to say a big thanks to this forum and contributors for the extremely valuable information posted here.

We are still relatively new parents and have a beautiful healthy 9 month old daughter. My wife and I both work and we commute separately, with one of us going to daycare or picking up- so basically a good deal of car time for our daughter.

We have had our baby in a Per-Perego from a newborn. It has been a very good seat for us (one seat and two seat bases).
692515710_4Uv2C-M.jpg

692516229_oo4qz-M.jpg

706272254_Wkj8x-M.jpg

949459258_vjdmf-M.jpg

Our little girl is now 9 months old, 28" tall and 19lbs 8ozs. So fast approaching the 30" limit on this seat.

I've always been a fan of Recaro seats over the years from my involvement in car's and also with the positive reviews and safety of their baby seats. And to be honest they also look very cool.

We plan to order two new convertible seats for both our cars, naturally after a lot of online research we want to keep our girl rear facing until she is at least 4 years old. Amazing how little my coworkers know about the dangers of going to forward facing too quickly.

Anyway we plan to order the Recaro ProRide as our next safety seat. we were debating on colors, but going to go with the fun colors of the Blue Opal.
Our two cars are a VW GTi 5-door which is my wifes daily, and I drive a older Audi S8 (and I have fitted the OEM latch mechanism to it).

Anyway just wanted to hello to all here, and we are open to any opinion on what is best that we should do, you guys have a lot more experience than us.
Many thanks.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/08/recaro-proride-blue-opal-left-rgbsm.jpg

ADS

aisraeltax

the only issue i hvae w/ that seat is that it only rear faces to 35 lbs. Most kids are 35 lbs. prior to 4. My son is 4.5 right now and 40 lbs. exactly, so has 5 more lbs. to rear face (he's in a Radian XTSL, but i probably wouldnt recommend that seat with your current cars..not rear facing anyway).

there are several seats on the market right now that rear face to 40 lbs. Im sure others will pipe in with which seats they are.

welcome to the boards though! sounds like you guys have educated yourselves a lot about car seat safety...which is awesome!

good luck w/ whatever you purchase.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Welcome.

Your daughter will outgrow her infant seat when there's less than 1" of shell above her head, not at an overall weight limit. A 30" child with a long torso won't have shell behind their head to protect against whiplash, a 30" child with a short torso will have months left in the seat.

The Recaro seats are not known for their longevity. Rear facing they offer little leg room, so kids generally complain about that. The older seats had little shoulder room. My five year old would have outgrown it at 32 pounds. By 33 pounds I would have needed a shoehorn to get her in. She also had no leg support.

1227099210_b4c37bf6d5.jpg

That was Piper at 5 years, 32 pounds, in an original Como.

Here's Laine today at 10.5 months, just shy of 18 pounds, in a ProRide.

4887124126_78fba3c4e6.jpg

You can see her legs are already dangling over the edge.

4886521105_d6b5a629ee.jpg

Conversely, here she is in a Marathon 70, which is still not a seat I would recommend highly, but it gives you exact comparison since they were taken about five minutes apart.

4886519857_a2fbd77313.jpg

I can't find a picture of Laine in her current seat (I need to take one tomorrow), but she still isn't touching the backseat yet, like she would be in both the MA/MA70 and the ProRide.

If you love the seat, go for it. Just know its limitations.

I'd look first, though, at the Sunshine Kids Radians, Safety 1st Complete Air, Learning Curve True Fit, Graco My Ride, and Evenflo Triumph Advance 65. They'll generally last longer than the ProRide rear and forward facing, even though it doesn't seem like it on paper. They all offer more leg room/leg support, more shoulder room.

Wendy

Evolily

I agree with Wendy.

If you want the Recaro, it's definitely a fine choice, just go into it knowing the limitations. The lack of leg room isn't a safety concern, but it can be a comfort concern and eventually, especially with Recaro, make it near impossible to fit the child into the seat. Which means you could be faced with either buying a new seat or forward facing sooner than you would otherwise- generally we suggest rear facing to the maximums of your seat, which for the seats we suggest means somewhere around 3-4 years old for most kids.

The only situation where I've seen older children sitting more than comfortably in the Recaro is when it's installed on a bench that is low enough that the child can put their feet over the back.

pdxa4

Welcome. Are you in the Portland, Oregon area?

Thank you. Unfortunately not is Portland right now.
We lived there for years and it is our fav place. Jobs are limited there so we are currently living in the Bay Area.
We do get back to our friends in Portland at least once a year. We do plan to moveback in the next few years to enjoy a better quality of life with a more relaxed environment.

firemomof3

I agree. We had the Recaro Signo for a while and I really liked it up until my 3y/o complaining of the lack of leg room rf. So, I bought the Radian XT for her and she rear faced for another year. Even though the ProRide rf to 40lbs. the lack of leg room is still an issue.
I would encourage you to look at the Radian :thumbsup:

Maedze

I agree. We had the Recaro Signo for a while and I really liked it up until my 3y/o complaining of the lack of leg room rf. So, I bought the Radian XT for her and she rear faced for another year. Even though the ProRide rf to 40lbs. the lack of leg room is still an issue.
I would encourage you to look at the Radian :thumbsup:

The ProRide does not rear face to 40 pounds.

OP, I would steer you away from the Recaro seats for all the reasons mentioned above. There are simply better options for better prices out there.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Ok, for comparison, here's Laine in her TFP this morning. It was without the headrest, so add on about six inches of shell height above the current shell. But you can see the highest slot at the top of her head, to compare her to the MA70.

4888514318_4089da546b.jpg

And you can see the difference in leg depth.

4887913669_0d5b4bf2f2.jpg

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC