being nosy

pj2rc

I was sitting in the lunchroom at work yesterday and 2 ladies were sitting just down from me. I heard A say to B "he really needs to be in a carseat, but they say not until 3. But he's 2 1/2 so it's only a 6 month difference and he's the size of a 3 yr old anyway" :eek:.. this was in reference to her own son. .. I couldn't help myself .. "excuse me, I don't mean to be nosy, but booster seats aren't really supposed to be used until at least 4" (I emphasized at least). She didn't blow me off, but said - yeah for some, but the ones tht go up in the back are for 3 (darn Turboboosters). Then B started talking about her carseats and I heard her say something about be willing to spend what was needed on her child's safety. A said she had looked at a few but her son is already 35# and about out of head room. I piped in again that she'd probably be surprised that i will take awhile to grow that headroom, but the Nautilus & Maestro have higher weight limits for the harness "since he needs to be in that for awhile yet" ....... I think she may have heard some of it, and I really hope she doesn't buy that kid a booster

ADS

wvmommy007

I heard A say to B "he really needs to be in a carseat, but they say not until 3. But he's 2 1/2 so it's only a 6 month difference and he's the size of a 3 yr old anyway"

I'm wondering...what the heck is he in now? A laundry basket in the trunk? I know she meant booster, but it made it sound like he's too small for a car seat until he's 3. Which I sure hope is not the case.

Good for you for trying to be helpful, that's the best you can do in most situations. :thumbsup:

poohbearkrazy

I'm wondering...what the heck is he in now? A laundry basket in the trunk? I know she meant booster, but it made it sound like he's too small for a car seat until he's 3. Which I sure hope is not the case.

Good for you for trying to be helpful, that's the best you can do in most situations. :thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing. :(

pj2rc

lol -- no, she did say he's in harness seats now -- sounded like 2 different ones but she didn't know what they are. she said one he still had head room in, but the other one he was just about at the top for head room.

Mommy0608

Sometimes it's all you can do, it's great that you tried to help. Hopefully she takes your advice. :)

I'm curious though about the "head room" issue that you mentioned. For rear-facing, kids need at least an inch above the head, but that's not true for forward-facing. With FF seats, the harness must be at or above the child's shoulders, and the child's ears can not exceed the top of the shell. In most cases (or at least from what I've seen), the child's shoulders will go above the top harness position before the ears reach the top of the shell, so head room is generally not an issue. If his head is up above the top of the shell, he probably outgrew the seat long ago in shoulder height.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC