What would you do in this situation?

Aurezalia

The family I usually nanny for happens to be in Japan at the moment (1 year old usually ERF'ing in my car in a Radian.) Luckily it happened to be right now, as we have family friends with 2 kids, a boy, C, that just turned 6 and girl, M, that is about to turn 8. The kids were supposed to be at a camp this week that ended up getting canceled last minute, so they called me in a panic. I've had them this week from 7am - 9pm, Monday through tomorrow.

When I asked about seats - last time I had them for a whole day they provided the boosters for both kids, but I hadn't seen hide nor hair of them this time. Mom explained that apparently M has been out of a booster for awhile, and they had just moved C out of the booster a week or so before. Mmm... Ok. She must have seen the way my face contorted, as she jumped in with a "But if the belt isn't fitting him right, I'll leave the booster out for you just in case." Ok... sounds good. She's worried about belt fit! As the conversation continues I realize that belt fit only means checking to see if the shoulder belt hits them in the face. I kept throwing in "Oh, I thought they should be in a booster until 8 and 80 pounds," but she just plowed right past it. Unfortunately the law in AZ only says 50 pounds, from what I've seen, so I didn't have a legal foot to stand on, and as I have sort of a little-sister relationship with them, any booster advice given by me would not be taken seriously.
We get in the car and I check belt fit on both the kids. As I thought, no way were they anywhere near passing the 5-step test. I made C - with a little convincing - sit in the booster again. After the initial fight he was fine with it. I wanted to put M back in a booster as well - she was very resistant, and then it turns out they had already gotten rid of the one she was using, so I had nothing (I plan on going and picking up a booster this weekend to have for situations like this from now on!) She a very small girl - slightly smaller than her brother in both weight and height - and the belt was high up on her stomach. I also had to keep nagging C to sit up straight in his seat, and I could tell he was frustrated. He's been diagnosed with some disorder - I want to say ODD, but I don't think that's it - so I can't push things *too* far without risking an explosion that I can't manage while driving.
When we went to my house on Tuesday for swimming, I tried both kids in the Radian to check fit - mostly because I was curious, but also because I had a plan brewing in the back of my head. C was not interested in the slightest, but M actually chilled in there for awhile and was enthusing about how comfortable it was. Of course, when I offered to put it in the car for her to ride in, she firmly refused. There was NO way to talk C into riding in the Radian so M could have the booster.
I didn't feel comfortable driving to BRU/target to pick up a booster without having a booster for M, as it was a long drive and I didn't want to risk taking them in the car to get something to make them safer in the car! Circular problem, unfortunately. :(
End result: We only did things within walking distance (Which isn't very far, in this heat!) as I simply wasn't comfortable with the seat situation for the kids, and didn't want to be driving them around like that. WWYD?

ADS

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Do you have a Walmart close by? Can you run late at night and pick up a $13 Harmony backless booster? That's what I'd do. It's got cool camo colors now and is so low-profile, hopefully you won't have much of a fight.

Aurezalia

Do you have a Walmart close by? Can you run late at night and pick up a $13 Harmony backless booster? That's what I'd do. It's got cool camo colors now and is so low-profile, hopefully you won't have much of a fight.

Nope, no store close by that I know of. I'm only willing to go to Target or BRU, as I refuse to frequent Walmart. :whistle: It's too late at night by the time I head out to pick any up, anyhow, and then I leave super early in the morning.
We just won't be going anywhere. It's not too big of a deal, there's plenty to do around the house and with neighborhood friends.
I'm going to head out this weekend and pick up a cheapie booster at Target or BRU so I'm not stuck in this position again. Of course, I'm eyeing the Olli on swap...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC