New Toyota ad

mominabigtruck

At least I think it was toyota, it was for their new van that has a middle row middle seat that slides up in between the driver's seat. They had a picture of a small baby in a ff evenflo chase maybe and the mother was handing back a bottle.

First of all, if your child is old enough to ff then I don't think they need a bottle.
Secondly I think this will cause alot more patterns to turn their kids ff prematurely just so they can play with them while driving down the road.
And am I the only one that thinks having a baby right next to you while you drive would be a huge distraction and potentially dangerous.

ADS

MySillyKids

At least I think it was toyota, it was for their new van that has a middle row middle seat that slides up in between the driver's seat. They had a picture of a small baby in a ff evenflo chase maybe and the mother was handing back a bottle.

First of all, if your child is old enough to ff then I don't think they need a bottle.
Secondly I think this will cause alot more patterns to turn their kids ff prematurely just so they can play with them while driving down the road.
And am I the only one that thinks having a baby right next to you while you drive would be a huge distraction and potentially dangerous.

Thats not always the case. My 13month old is stilll bottle fed for 2 reasons. 1) he has sensory issues that do not allow him to transition to any other texture bottle/sippy. 2) He has medical issues to where he cannot swallow properly and bottles/sippy's have to allow the extreme thickness through.

That aside, and if my child was 'normal' he would be off the bottle and such.

I know you didnt wanna hear that, but its not always the case that they HAVE to stop once they are FF'ing unless the kid is like 3+.

CAEKWILSON

My dd is 2 years old and still drinks out of a bottle due to her PKU, she has medical formula she HAS to have everyday it is her life...if she doesnt drink it then she wont grow!...... it can be distracting when your kids are ffacing expecially when they hit you with a shoe in the head!

my daughter will more then likely be off the bottle soon, if i could only find a cup that she would drink her formula out of!

take care!

mominabigtruck

I can certainly understand medical issues, but the average kid who is 3 and 30+lbs shouldn't have a bottle. A good reason I can think of is my sister, when she was very young maybe a year old and on the way to church easter sunday she projective vomited from the middle seat and hit the windshield. She had to be bottle fed later in life too due to health reasons, but at least if she'd been rfing she would have been the only one covered in puke.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

I agree with you, that ad hacks me. If they are going to show a kid in an Evenflo Chase, that mom should be handing him a full-on happy meal (with apple dippers and milk, of course).

It's not just the tiny kid ff, or the mom handing the kid a bottle, it's kind of the shocking vision of both happening at the same time, when you come from the world where RF is the norm and bottle feeding isn't something you do when you are driving...

But the seat that slides forward... hmm...kinda cool :D. You can definitely fit three across in that situation, and I'm always handing my kids things at stoplights, I'd just have less far back to reach, lol.

Momto2whosews

Senior Community Member
I haven't seen this ad, but I wish I could. It sounds like it'll just add to the "FF too early" mentality that most parents already have. And with Toyota minivans touting their safety features and statistics, that is sad.

Secondly, not having see the van, I have to question WHY anyone would want to move a child closer to the windshield??? We already know that the safest spot in a minivan is the center of the vehicle - not the rear seat, and certainly not closer to the windshield!

And, FWIW, I would have assumed the same thing about a FF baby being too old to take a bottle at least by our standards for FF. Maybe not by the minimum standard, but Toyota should know better than the settle for the minimum standard. It would have been just as easy to feature a 3 year old being handed a juice box or sippy cup. But then again, the ad agency probably would have put the 3 year old in a booster :rolleyes:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I haven't seen this ad, but I wish I could. It sounds like it'll just add to the "FF too early" mentality that most parents already have. And with Toyota minivans touting their safety features and statistics, that is sad.

Secondly, not having see the van, I have to question WHY anyone would want to move a child closer to the windshield??? We already know that the safest spot in a minivan is the center of the vehicle - not the rear seat, and certainly not closer to the windshield!

And, FWIW, I would have assumed the same thing about a FF baby being too old to take a bottle at least by our standards for FF. Maybe not by the minimum standard, but Toyota should know better than the settle for the minimum standard. It would have been just as easy to feature a 3 year old being handed a juice box or sippy cup. But then again, the ad agency probably would have put the 3 year old in a booster :rolleyes:

Their original spot for that 'front and center' seat had a three year old in an ashley floral marathon! THAT should be the kid in this ad :rolleyes:

mominabigtruck

I saw it in this month's Parent's edition. Oh and fwiw the seat isn't even buckled in, its just sitting on the seat even though the mom has her seatbelt on. That's a good message to send to parents, ff early and don't install your seats correctly.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
One thing I love about my Freestar is that the middle row slides forward :) (I just have an issue with the dealership & how much $$$ I'm paying for something that isn't worth it since they lied AGAIN) -- anyway, I haven't seen this ad, but fill out the form posted HERE

lovinwaves

Toyota is pretty proud of their second row middle seat being able to slide forward, but my Honda Odyssey will do the same thing. Maybe not *quite* as far forward, but in all reality it keeps me from feeling the urge to hand them things. With them far away then see I just have to pull over :p

teekadog

We've been minivan shopping for about a month. We've looked at about a half dozen, and the Sienna's in the lead. I like the idea of the middle 2nd row seat sliding forward. I would put my then-ffing (but currently rfing) 4yo there, with both rfing younger sibs on either side. That way they could be 3 across, with the better protected ones on the outside... and with the ffing one in the pulled-forward middle, I could reach around and make sure she was securely buckled even from my place in the front seat. At least, that's my thinking now. Does that sound about right to any Sienna owners out there?

I agree, though, that pulling the kid forward to encourage even more interaction between child and parent while driving = BAD IDEA. I have to admit that one benefit to keeping them rfing so long is that they really learn to leave mom alone while she's concentrating on driving. At least mine have! On the rare occasion that my 4yo ffaces, she talks my ear off!! Hmm, maybe I wouldn't want her sitting so close to me after all LOL...

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I prefer to move up the "front and center" second row seat in my '05 8-passenger Sienna only for rear facing because it makes it a bit easier to check on DD2 (when we're stopped, not while actually in motion), and it increases leg room for DD1 who rides in the third row center in her Regent. For forward facing when it was only DD1 riding in the van before DD2 was born, I kept the front and center seat moved back to increase her leg room and the distance between her and the front seatbacks to keep her from kicking them so easily. For a forward facing child, having the seat moved farther back rather than "front and center" could also reduce the chance of colliding with the front seats in a crash depending on the amount of head excursion, or if an occupied front seat's recline mechanism were to break and recline abruptly in a crash.

Thumbs down to Toyota for the ad described in the OP. I haven't seen the ad but it sounds worthy of complaint letters/e-mails.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC