Radian 65 install-- RFing w belt only

U

Unregistered

after reading some things on another forum i'm concerned about our radian.

we have the 65 (last model, not newest), a 97 camry, no latch or tether option.

our son is 2 already, but still sits RFing because he has not reached 35 #s or the height restriction, and has no problems sitting backwards.

however, i have noticed that unless both front seats are pushed back all the way, so that it is kind of "stuck" into place, the seat WILL move a little. seat belt option only in this car. we've tried locking clips and it isn't any better. the angle is proper, we are using the RFing plastic tilt on the base, the seat belts lock every few inches, but the seat will move if the front seats are moved.

any tips for a better install? the car seat install clinics in our area are not offered every day or even week, and i would like to re-install properly right away. thanks so much.

ADS

NebraskaMom

Good Evening.

I have a few questions before I can answer your question.

-Where are you checking to see if the seat has movement? The best place to check would be at the belt path location. As long as you have the proper angle on the seat, the seat can move no more than 1 inch at the belt path location. It is supposed to (and will) move more than that if you're tugging at the head area of the seat.

-What does your owners manual say regarding the installation of RF seats? :confused:

-Do the seat belts lock only when they've been pulled out all the way, or do they lock when you've pulled them out about 1/2 way? Pull gently, since most belts lock up when yanked :)

I am a technician in training right now, which is why I'm asking you questions before giving you a straight answer. Tomorrow is my last full day of class, so I'm here trying to gain experience with a variety of questions.

Thanks,
Stacey

jjordan

It is normal for the head end of a rearfacing seat to move. You only need to check for movement at the belt path (in all directions, with your non-dominant hand).

You usually don't have to wait for a carseat clinic to get a seat checked. See if you can find a tech in your area and contact him/her to set something up. Here is a link with a listing of techs from this forum; if no one is nearby there is also a link in that thread that gets you to a more comprehensive listing of techs. If you do find someone, you might ask if they've had experience with radians as they are relatively unusual, and someone who's worked with them might know some tricks to help you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC