New VA Law - Boosters to age 8

trailrunnermom

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch:
----------------------------------------
KAINE SIGNS CAR SEAT LAW FOR CHILDREN UP TO 8:
Under Va. law, which takes effect July 1, violators get a $50 fine; age had been 6
BY MICHAEL HARDY, TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
Mar 21, 2007

Children up to age 8 soon will have to be strapped into booster seats in vehicles traveling on Virginia's roads.
Click here.

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine has signed into law the assembly-passed measure that raised the age from 6.

Under the new law, which takes effect July 1, a motorist will be fined $50 for violations. But a police officer could cite only a violator who had been stopped for another offense.

A parent or guardian could obtain an exemption if a physician signs a statement that use of a restraint system for a child would be impractical because of the child's weight, physical fitness or other medical condition.

The tougher law does not apply to school buses, taxicabs or limousines.

"It passed with overwhelming majorities, and it was a top legislative priority of traffic-safety groups," said Kevin Hall, the governor's press secretary, in explaining Kaine's support.
---------END QUOTED ARTICLE---------------

Last edited:
ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Woo hoo!!! I'm so glad... :D Too bad it's not a primary offense, though, like the child restraint law.

There were other provisions, too - such as making it illegal to have a RF seat in the front - ? - wonder if that passed?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I couldn't find any more information then that yet, either (other provisions)... I'm waiting to see it on the news now, Becky called and told me to TiVo it, lol.

:)

trailrunnermom

Here's the summary from the Virginia General Assembly website:
----Quote-------
Passed
Child restraint devices. The measure increases the age that children must be secured in a child restraint device from 5 to 8 and requires that rearfacing child restraint devices for infants from birth to 1-year must be secured only in the back seat of motor vehicles manufactured after January 1, 1968.

The measure removes the exemption from required child restraint device use for the rear cargo area of vehicles other than pickup trucks and increases the age from less than 6-years old to 8-years old for the use of standard seat belt equipment for certain children.
---------End Quote----------------

(Well darn, I guess I'll just *have* to buy new boosters for the boys when they need them. Yay!) :) :)

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
So if a child restraint violation was primary before and now the booster is secondary, do they all change to secondary violations or not...? I hope not. I guess I can understand why it may be secondary: widespread violations plus hard to tell who is 6 yrs old or are they 8 yrs old? May lead to too many "false" pullovers, maybe? But I still hope it's all primary... :)

Simplysomething

I don't see where in the wording it says it is a primary or secondary offense--OTHER than the article.

Child Restraint Law, Virginia

Did you notice this part:
E. Nothing in this section shall apply to taxicabs, school buses, executive sedans, or limousines<S>, or the rear cargo area of vehicles other than pickup trucks</S>.
Does that mean it is no longer legal in VA to ride in the bed of a pickup truck?

Now this part:
C. A violation of this section shall not constitute negligence, be considered in mitigation of damages of whatever nature, be admissible in evidence or be the subject of comment by counsel in any action for the recovery of damages in a civil action.
Does that mean if someone doesn't use car-seats...they aren't being negligent? Or does that mean, If they have an accident, and their child who isn't in a seat is injured--they can still sue for damages? Help, I'm stupid today.

The DMV website hasn't been updated...yet. But It's interesting.
One quote :
Among children age 4 to 12 years, crash injuries are the leading cause of death. (IIHS)

According to this page, a police officer can stop a car in VA for improperly restrained children under 16. That's a primary offense, right?

Gah, I wanted updated info. lol

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
Does that mean if someone doesn't use car-seats...they aren't being negligent? Or does that mean, If they have an accident, and their child who isn't in a seat is injured--they can still sue for damages? Help, I'm stupid today.

So even if someone has someone's else child in their car and the child is not restrained properly which results in the injury/death of that child by ejection, etc, then can they not be held responsible in court if the parents choose to press charges?!? (That's how it sounds to me, too...?) That's bogus. Are there provisions like that in other states as well?

Last edited:

twokidstwodogs

Does anyone know if the law uses age alone, or whether it contains a provision about size? I know that very few eight year-olds would pass the five-step test, but what if one did?

skaterbabs

The law allows for that, if a 7 yo passed (unlikely, but if one did) a dr's not can be obtained, but honestly, if the kid fits, a police officer won't ticket you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC