Question CO Car Seat Installation Law

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
Ok, a friend just told me that she got a package from her daughter's school saying that according to law your child's car seat must be installed by the fire department (not yourself) who are trained techs and that if you are pulled over and they find your seat was not installed by the FD you will be fined.

This was in Wellington, CO.

Anyone else heard of this?

ADS

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't see that. I do see that the law changed effective August 1. And that they encourage parents to get help from a CPST at a fitting station. But nowhere do I read that a having a CPST install the seat is mandatory, and in fact a GOOD tech won't install your seat for you at all!

http://www.coloradodot.info/news/20...018boost2019-as-new-law-takes-effect-aug.-1st

Perhaps your friend can call the principal's office, tell them she'd like to read the law for herself but can't find anything that cites this requirement and would they please forward to her where they got this info? My guess is, they misinterpreted something.

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
Yes that's what I said too, a good tech will not install for you (I'm a tech too) but she said that they made a big deal about it and that all of the guys at the FD are Safe Kids trained and all install for you to get the best install.

She linked me to the same site and I didn't see it either, but this is what she's hearing from multiple sources. I'm hoping to get some insight from someone around the area who can let me know the scoop. I'm suspecting scare tactic.

CTPDMom

Oops, sorry Kaitlyn didn't see your 'green'!

I would have her call and ask directly, like I said before. It sounds like this is a rumor that just got out of hand.

Maybe you could post the link that she gave you?

OsmAshe

Hi guys, I'm Kaitlyn's friend. Basically, when I registered my daughter for kindergarten, we got registration packets. Inside was a pamphlet thing from the school explaining that Colorado laws changed and that in our County it is REQUIRED for the FD to install a carseat. That seemed odd to me, even though I know that our Firefighters take classes in Denver (my dad was a FF). I tried to find info on the subject, but all I could find was the link that was posted above by another user, so I told Kait about it to see if she'd heard anything. She said it seemed weird to her also, and that she'd find out if anyone else had hear this for me. I'm trying to find the brochure thing they gave me about it, so I can post it, but I'm pretty sure I threw her packet away after registration.

ntrenary

I've never heard of that law. I know the booster seat law just changed to 8 years old, but I've never heard anything about a tech installing your seat.

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
She registered and made a post here, it's waiting in moderation so you'll see her reply soon :)

CTPDMom

Is Wellington the name of the town or the name of the county?

Maybe we can help you search out the pamphlet if it's posted on the web. I'm thinking that there must be a misinterpretation somewhere, and it very well could be that THEY misinterpreted and then put wrong info on the pamphlet.

Carrie_R

Her post indicates that it's county-specific... so there wouldn't be anything in the state's laws. Maybe check with your county's sheriff's office, and see if they have any documentation to that effect?

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I am a tech in CO and I have not heard a single thing regarding this. Wellington is in Larimer county correct? From what I can find there is only 1 safe kids certified tech in Wellington, I can pm you the info if you'd like.

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
Hi guys, I'm Kaitlyn's friend. Basically, when I registered my daughter for kindergarten, we got registration packets. Inside was a pamphlet thing from the school explaining that Colorado laws changed and that in our County it is REQUIRED for the FD to install a carseat. That seemed odd to me, even though I know that our Firefighters take classes in Denver (my dad was a FF). I tried to find info on the subject, but all I could find was the link that was posted above by another user, so I told Kait about it to see if she'd heard anything. She said it seemed weird to her also, and that she'd find out if anyone else had hear this for me. I'm trying to find the brochure thing they gave me about it, so I can post it, but I'm pretty sure I threw her packet away after registration.

I contacted the one listed Safe Kids Tech in Wellington and she has not heard of this either. We are guessing that the school is giving out incorrect information, or it is written in a way that is misleading. I have pm'd you her information and she would really like it if you would get in touch with her.

aeormsby

Wow, that's pretty scary info to give out. I did have a run in with someone (owner of the local kids consignment store - they also sell new Britax carseats) and she told me you should never install your own carseats, that she know some head tech somewhere (I'm in Longmont) and they told her that.

DD has her orientation next week for Preschool, I'll be interested to see if we get anything (St Vrain School District, Boulder County).

Hopefully Jen can help get to the bottom of this.

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
Thanks guys, I knew something was fishy about it, but I'm no where near the area to look into it. I was hoping someone would have some connections in CO :)

CTPDMom

I don't have 'connections' (since I'm in CT, LOL) but I *did* e-mail the county to ask. We chatted back and forth a couple of times but this was the result...

Me: Thank you for your reply. I'm well versed in child passenger safety as I'm a certified car seat technician. And I was able to view Colorado's law before writing to the county. My question was specific as to a pamphlet a mom received as part of a back to school packet. In the pamphlet she said the COUNTY requires (mandates) that seats be installed by a firefighter (I assume they mean a CPST). This is what was concerning. So there is definitely no county law/ordinance/policy that requires this, correct?

Robin (County Employee):That is correct. Robin
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

So there you go. Between the SK tech not knowing anything about it and the County definitively saying that there is no county law regarding this it's definitely debunked. BUT, Osmashe, DO contact the SK tech that Jen has PM'd the info for (not sure if she sent it to kaitlyn or you) so that she can perhaps search out the specific school and get the offending pamphlet out of circulation or corrected. :thumbsup:

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
Thank you so much! Last I hear she was looking for the pamphlet, but I haven't heard from her today. Apparently the fire departments techs just install everyone's seats anyway though, not teach parents to install so I bet all of these parents are just having them installed anyway :(

MoonRocket

They did tell us at Boulder Community Hospital that the seat had to be checked by a tech before we could leave (we had it done 3 weeks before the baby came and that was fine. We also just had to verbally tell them it was checked - but we also had the orange ID sticker, so that backed us up I guess.)

One of our friends got held up going home over it.

Yay that they just increased the booster age to 8 though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC