Vent My first car seat check experience today

Meg

(I hope this is the correct folder for this.)

I was excited to go to my first car seat check this morning, but it ended up being anything other than helpful. My reason for going to the check was due to my Radian having a tilt, so I wanted to address that and make sure it was OK.

Police officers ran the check and were very nice, but the officer that helped me gave me some bad info. I got a lot of comments about how there weren't any mistakes with anything, so that made me feel good. The officer was joking around telling me to stick around to help install seats with them.;) They also had never seen a Radian before and were marveling at the weight of the thing.

The issues.. the officer asked me the age of my oldest and when I told him 3.5 years old, he told me I'm going to want to think about switching him to a booster. Um, he's 34 lbs, 37 in, and has the maturity level of a puppy. I told him that and he backtracked a bit. He also asked the size of my youngest and when I told him 6 months and 20 lbs, he said I'm going to want to FF him in the next few months. I told him I keep the kids RF until 3 y/o and you would have thought I told him I make my kids ride in the trunk. But then he told me "oh yeah, they just changed the recommendation." He removed the seats, wrote down the info, and then re-installed them himself. The way he kept asking me if I was a tech, it seemed like he thought I was testing him or something. Do they really never see a correctly installed/used seat?!

I left there a bit bummed that they were telling people the extreme bare minumums for car seat safety, although, I was happy that most people were leaving there safer.. new seats, tights installs, etc. But then I got home and went to remove my youngest from his seat and the whole thing shifted! I checked the seat at the belt path and that's when I noticed the officer never locked the shoulder belt!:mad: I was driving home on the highway going 65mph! I'm upset with myself for not checking before we left the car seat check, but I assumed it was done correctly. I can't believe we drove that long and that fast with an incorrectly/loosely installed seat. And of course, we never got the tilt issues resolved or addressed.

I'm pretty disappointed- I went there for help and left with my baby in an unsafe situation.:(

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Let them know what happened. He should have had you reinstall. And no, I wouldn't have expected some random cop tech to have seen many, if any, Radians. Or to promote ERF. And yes, it's not uncommon to see 100% misuse. Especially when you're telling people to forward face their six month olds and booster 3.5 year olds.

Wendy

Laurette

If you install the RN with a locking clip instead of locing the belt that will help the tipping. I always install RFing seats with a locking clip because of tipping issues. HTH

sixmaybemore

Let them know what happened. He should have had you reinstall. And no, I wouldn't have expected some random cop tech to have seen many, if any, Radians. Or to promote ERF. And yes, it's not uncommon to see 100% misuse. Especially when you're telling people to forward face their six month olds and booster 3.5 year olds.

Wendy

I'll have to ditto that. In 9 years of doing this, I've seen seven seats installed correctly. Seven. That's it.

Mommy2Marcus

The 3 times I have had my seats checked I was always asked who installed them. LOL, I did silly. They were amazed at how my seats were properly installed & how tight I got them. Only 1 has asked me to reinstall it myself. The last time he did not even take my seat out. Tugged on it, checked it all over & said it was a perfect & tight install. He did comment on the RF 3 year old though. :rolleyes: He had NEVER seen a child of that age RF. Took him by suprise.

It shocks me just how many techs (I seen 3 different ones) do not know, or they know & just do not promote, about ERF. It drove me batty all 3 times that I was told he should be turned FF b/c he was to big or that I could turn him FF b/c he would be just as safe. :rolleyes:

Farm_Mama

An experience very similar to yours, but with a fire dept tech, is exactly what prompted me to become a tech myself. Ironically enough, I did an event with the very firefighter who had done the bad check on my seats within a couple months of my being certified. The way the event was set up, we worked as a team... needless to say the firefighter learned a lot that day. ;)

Meg

If you install the RN with a locking clip instead of locing the belt that will help the tipping. I always install RFing seats with a locking clip because of tipping issues. HTH

Thanks for the tip.:) Hopefully the temp will go down tonight and I can get outside to play around with the seats and try out the locking clip!

msg221

I am sorry you had such a bad experience at your first car seat check.

I am grateful that the first car seat check I went to which was being held at a BRU, was run by very competent and professional techs. They spent a lot of time talking to me and going over everything with my seats and they made me install them myself afterwards. I went a third time when I had a different seat (RN) and was told it was installed perfectly. After that, I have been confident in my ability to install them correctly. I still would love to take the tech course someday and become certified.

pj2rc

I've gone to Police and fire dept ..they have always done the installs themselves, just had me hang out aong he sidelines while they worked, then showed me when they were done .... or they just checked my already installed seats and didn'ttake them out if they seemed tight. I never realized until I heard you all saying otherwise that they were supposed to let me do it. I've gone several times ..... :(
I'm hoping to go to a SafeKids check in Oct just to see how they run it and because I am trying to set up a check through them at my church in the spring.

Jennifer mom to my 7

Oh wow! I was going to guess dutchess:whistle: My brother gets his car seat advice from some state trooper who "does this for a living". Did I mention that before to you?

Oh, and yes, I am in Ulster, about 10-15 minutes from the bridge.

Meg

You mentioned Stop & Shop in Newburgh one time, so I figured you couldn't be very far away. I'm on your side of the river pretty often (at Target :eek:). It's so frustrating to hear about bad advice given out by officers/troopers!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Do they really never see a correctly installed/used seat?!
:whistle:

Probably not.

I've been to one extremely high end baby store for a seat check and most seats were used right there, but in average life, it's more like a 95% misuse rate, and there are no Radians (I just met with a mom to see if MY Radian worked in her car, because she can't find one at a store to try...I have the only one in town :cool:)

Jennifer mom to my 7

You mentioned Stop & Shop in Newburgh one time, so I figured you couldn't be very far away. I'm on your side of the river pretty often (at Target :eek:). It's so frustrating to hear about bad advice given out by officers/troopers!

Which target? I only know of the one in Middletown, at the mall:eek: Now to see if there is another:whistle:

Okay, found it:) Never knew it was there. Need to tell dh that we have this, instead of going to wallyworld.

Jennifer mom to my 7

:whistle:

Probably not.

I've been to one extremely high end baby store for a seat check and most seats were used right there, but in average life, it's more like a 95% misuse rate, and there are no Radians (I just met with a mom to see if MY Radian worked in her car, because she can't find one at a store to try...I have the only one in town :cool:)

Sorry, serial posting. But I did ask CTPDmom, BeckC, and LuvMyCharlie if they wanted to check mine, so they could see properly installed seats, or tell me what I might have done wrong. They declined:eek:

Meg

I got a short response back from the tech I emailed at the police station. He said "During these events we try to assure all seats are double checked by at least two technicians before a parent leaves." He then invited me to go down to the dept. to have the seat re-installed. No apology or anything.

Um, I don't want to go to the station to have them re-do the seat. :eek: I feel a bit awkward since I corrected them on their mistake. Also, I went to the check with a correctly installed seat (according to them) and left with an incorrectly/unsafe installation in my car. I re-installed the seat that evening and would prefer not to have them take the seats out again.

Thanks everyone for your help and PMs with contact info! ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC