driving with windows open

broken4u05

I have a question. Is it safe to drive with the windows down and what about if you have kids in the back? I like driving with my windows open and i mostly only open the front windows and crack the back ones sometimes the back just stay closed but i want to know if it is safe to drive with windows open?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've never heard it's *not* safe, at any rate... good question! I wonder if there's any data anywhere on that....

tl01

The only downside I've heard of driving with windows open is people stealing a purse off of a passenger seat or something like that. If the seat is in the footwell as it should be anyway I wouldn't worry. I know they saw gas mileage is better on the highway with the AC and windows closed but in the city its better to have the windows open.

broken4u05

I dont have a purse and i never really open them all the way because of the wind they are like half way. I dont really like the wind right in my face. So does this sound safe?

LuvBug

I only crack my windows(2-3") when DS is in the car, but when he isnt they are all the way down. Most the time I keep them closed if DS is in the car though. Ive had insects fly in the car. Ive had twigs and flowers fall in the car. Ive had a few random things end up in my car from the windows being down lol! but I dont live in the city ;) Id only worry about what might end up in the car when you have them down.

TheRealMacGyver

The only thing I could think of would be what someone else said about something flying in. Maybe a bee:eek: or even just dust that could get in your child's eyes. Other than that I do it, I like fresh air. If your that concerned you could put the vents on outside air and get fresh air that way. I guess as far as the back windows go, your child could throw something out the window that you really don't want them to:D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Probably is. I always open mine about 2 inches in the front and one inch in the back...all the fresh air, none of the bad hair :D

I thought Mythbusters busted that 'less gas to use the A/C' story?

LuvBug

I thought Mythbusters busted that 'less gas to use the A/C' story?

they did. At first the (engine)tests showed that driving with windows closed and AC on was more effecient... but then they did the real world test of driving at a set speed with a set amount of gas until the car stopped and the windows down turned out to give them a better result.

I drive with my windows down/cracked until it is just too hot to matter. Then I keep them up with the AC on.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
I guess as far as the back windows go, your child could throw something out the window that you really don't want them to:D

I've had a sippy cup tossed out the back window. Of course I only realized it after I couldn't find the darn thing anywhere in the car, and I remembered hearing something hit the side of the car on our outing that day :p

Morganthe

Sun exposure is why I can't handle driving with the windows down anymore :( Though I never liked the sand & rocks kicked into the window by other vehicles.

I had special window tint installed last year on my car that blocks about 98% of UV light. I noticed a difference on my skin within 2 weeks. I used to get really small bumps like heat rash on my left arm since I'm always the driver each summer. It wasn't a sun burn, but the skin was tender to touch. Now I don't have it unless I"m outside a long times (which I try not to be -- sunscreen doesn't stop this).

If I roll down my window on intensly sunny days to drive around, the rashing appears by the evening. I swear I can almost feel my skin percolating :( I'm glad dd is in the center of a high backed rear seat + the windows tinting. She doesn't need the strong sun exposure at this young age. My mother & grandmother have had rashing like this appear too. I'm too much of a Washingtonian, born to rust, not be a sun lover :p

The tint also really helps out my a/c & gas mileage. I've noticed it on long distance drives. And since I've already had to start using my A/C last week, that's important :)

Please consider sun exposure on your kids when they're in vehicles. It can add up really quickly :(

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
they did. At first the (engine)tests showed that driving with windows closed and AC on was more effecient... but then they did the real world test of driving at a set speed with a set amount of gas until the car stopped and the windows down turned out to give them a better result.

I drive with my windows down/cracked until it is just too hot to matter. Then I keep them up with the AC on.

Ah, ok, good to know!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Sun exposure is why I can't handle driving with the windows down anymore :( Though I never liked the sand & rocks kicked into the window by other vehicles.

...good point about sun exposure... I know our car must not let much UV in , because dh wears Transitions lenses and they don't tint at all when we are in the car (good thing, cuz they are kind of an ugly shade of blue I don't like to look at , rofl!)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We've had bees fly in before.... Only thing worse than that was Leila's affinity to toss her socks & shoes out :eek: :p I love fresh air (my asthma doesn't, though), but Leila is a priss -- "too much wind, mamaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
We've had bees fly in before.... Only thing worse than that was Leila's affinity to toss her socks & shoes out :eek: :p I love fresh air (my asthma doesn't, though), but Leila is a priss -- "too much wind, mamaaaaaaaaaaaaa!"

Ok, I heard about a *tragic* crash once where the mom drove off an off ramp, the circular kind, and I think maybe the kids lived in the back, but the mom died, and the only somewhat verbal toddler in the back kept talking about the bee in the car...like the mom was distracted by it and that's why she drove off the edge, or got stung by it or something... anyway, horrible way to become an orphan (not many good ways to become an orphan, come to think of it, but I always think of that poor toddler describing the bee in the car before his mother crashed and died...I bet she wasn't wearing a seatbelt?)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sooooo sad :( I"m not allergic so I never freaked out ... but one time in Cali. I was listening to the news on the radio on the freeway about African Bees swarming local residents -- I exited the offramp & heard a strange sound, followed by a scream: some guy on a Harley next to me was running a red light to try to escape a HUGE THICK swarm of bees :eek: Totally bizarre & scared the pants off me!

LuvBug

Yeah bugs dont bother me. If its something potentially harmful I find somewhere to stop and get it out. The only thing that freaks me out is those tiny little black spiders that look like armored machines!!! those freak me out bad! lol!

broken4u05

well my windows are never opened all the way and in the back the most i ever open them is an inch. Good to know others do this too

Splash

Actually, it is dangerous to have the rear windows down at high speeds with an infant.
Blow in your baby's face and watch what happens. They stop breathing. It's a basic swim teacher skill, and it works every time. Baby lungs don't fight counter pressure. They can breathe in, but are unable to breathe out. So the wind constantly buffetting the baby's face can, in fact, cause the baby to stop breathing. Of course, you're going to ask me to cite this and the simple truth is I can't, and Google did nothing for me just now. Which is why I told you to blow in your baby's face. And if you keep blowing, the baby will continue to hold her breath. Please stop blowing before your baby turns blue.

With an older child, this is less of an issue, but I still would not be willing to have the windows down while the kid was sleeping, or period while the kid was RF. I have my windows down about 1/4 way in the back at times, but normally only when Charlie is screaming and opening the windows calms him down (or drowns him out, whichever the case may be). Unless I can verify that he is breathing (screaming, playing, I can see him, etc), I don't do it. Once he's FF I might be okay with it as long as he is awake, but there really is very little opportunity here to have the A/C off, anyway.

Simplysomething

I don't like driving with the windows down because I don't like wind to blow on me. BUT I have--in the past, used open windows to get children to fall asleep. lol

On a road trip, when my oldest son was 3 and my nephew was 7--we opened the front windows and they conked out. Was nice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC