Help installing Britax Boulevard CS

mrslikethesoup

Hello. I am trying to install a Britax Boulevard CS FF on the drivers side 2nd row in my 2007 GMC Acadia. I am having a hard time getting the Britax flat on the seat because the sides of the seat go up a bit. Any advice on installing the Britax Boulevard CS FF in an Acadia.

Thanks!

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The vehicle manual requires that you recline the seatback all the way to install a ff'ing seat.

Make sure that the Blvd is set so that the mechanical recline is in upright mode, then place the seat on the vehicle seat so that it's mostly straight up and down. You'll find the back of the base is off the vehicle seat a little, but when you get in to the carseat, the weight will compress the vehicle seat enough that the back of the base will be touching the vehicle seat.

Here's a pic in my 07 Outlook of a MA - same shell as the blvd.

Base on seat:
2389161322_b095ed47cc_m.jpg

How shell sits between the sculpting:
2388330815_c9b6f05d4c_m.jpg

Top of shell from other side - you can see how it pushes against the headrest here:
2296265151_2bdafc16c6.jpg

Full side view:
2297060736_d2df4892b2.jpg

(bottom 2 picture was taken at a separate time from the others so the base may be in a slightly different position on the seat. This particular install was fairly upright.)

This is what the back looks like for the tether:
2388333111_9131faf12f.jpg

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Is there a reason the 16 month old is forward facing already? Did you know it's up to 500% safer to be rear facing until at least the second birthday, and the AAP has recommended since 2002 that children face the rear to the maximum limits of the convertible carseat? That's 35 pounds, or less than 1" of hard shell above the head (not the headrest, the shell) for your Boulevard.

http://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;109/3/550
http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/30/4/12-a
http://www.hss.state.ak.us/dph/ipems/injury_prevention/CPS/assets/M-BullonRFCar.pdf

http://carseatblog.com/?p=5168

I would highly encourage you to rear face your 16 month old for at least another eight months, if not preferably another two or more years.

The one year and 20 pound advice comes from when seats didn't go beyond 20 pounds rear facing, so you tried to get as close to one year as possible. When a lot of pediatricians were studying medicine, that's what they were taught. And since they're not CPSTs like a lot of us are, they don't keep up with the latest advice on this. And why should they? They're not CPSTs. They should not be concerned with parenting matters, only medical ones. I don't ask my mechanic what carseat I should buy. Their concern is the car's health, not my child's safety. That's why the AAP journal Pediatrics had to write an article about this (linked above). So pediatricians would stop saying one year and 20 pounds.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC