DS unbuckling

flutie128

My DS is 6, 50 pounds, 46 inches tall and currently riding in a Nautilus. DH is upset because DS can unbuckle and chooses to when it is not appropriate. Is there another that is harder to unbuckle? He also has been known to loosen his harness to reach something that has fallen on the seat next to him. Are there some good videos that will convince him to stay buckled with a tight harness?

ADS

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
What do you guys do when he does this? My kids can't unbuckle the GN, it's the hardest for the kids IMO.

glockchick

Pull over and rebuckle every time.

Try scratchy velcro on the buckle and harness adjuster.

A good spankin'? (kidding, kidding)

kidnurse

EBT = early bedtime

Most kids I know this age hate going to bed early, especially if they have other siblings who will get to stay up and play longer.

all together ooky

My 6 year-old can easily unbuckle any carseat. Heck, my 2 year-old can undo the black chest clip on the old radian (and she can buckle the main buckle).

I did show my 6 year-old crash videos (with dummies). We talked about them. After that she understood better what happens in a crash and why I want her to sit properly. I just went on YouTube and typed in 5-point harness crash test and booster seat crash test. A bunch will come up.

Since he's old enough to understand consequences I'd explain why he needs to stay buckled and then go on a "fun trip" to the store or DQ or something he likes. When he unbuckles, stop, buckle him back up, and drive home. Unbuckling=no fun.

flutie128

Thanks ladies. Most of the times he unbuckles when I am doing things like getting his sister in the car and he is mad about something. If he unbuckles when we are moving we stop and get buckled again. I hate when he is testing boundaries. I will google the crash tests and DH and I will watch them and choose the best ones to show him. He doesn't always unbuckle or even loosen his harness so most of the time is his properly harnessed. DH was just asking about a different seat that would give him more of a problem unbuckling. It has only been within the last month that he figured out how to undo the crotch buckle of the Nautilus but he has been able to undo the chest clip for at least a year.

BudgieStew

DS has been doing this lately when he gets mad and I pull over and wait until he buckles back and take away something fun like toy/tv for every time he does it. He has yet to do this with anyone else or on a highway though.

He is also in a GN and when we first got it I could barely unfasten it and he could not at all but it seems to have loosen up enough that it can be undone with ease.

Lenae

About a month ago, DH and I were taking a trip with the kids to the coast. We heard the sound of velcro, but didn't really think anything of it because DS had sandals with velcro on them. Then we didn't hear anything for a few minutes, and all of a sudden DS pops up out of the seat! I started panicking and DH found a turnout and pulled over. I flipped. I was shaking, it scared me so badly. DS has slid the chest clip down, and managed to wiggle out of his TF. I SWEAR it was tightened properly. I was so scared, I think it scared DS enough that he hasn't done it again. I spanked him as well. Which I don't do very often, only when I feel he has put himself in immediate danger, like the time he ran off in a parking lot. But he hasn't done it since. DH and I were like super careful the rest of the weekend, and probably over tightened his harness for a while. All I can figure is that because the TF is the continuous harness, he tightened one side and slid his arm out of the loose side, then out of the other, and undid his legs. It really scared DH and me. OH, and the velcro was the harness pads and head pillow he was undoing and discarding.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC