Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

played at BRU & Target lots of pics

This is my jst turned one year old ds... we were at target and decided to play with the carseats... We eventually need to get him a new carseat as well and still not sure which one to get... we had fun trying the seats out.
    This is him in the complete air lx:

My jst turned one year old ds in a complete air...

The britax marathon and blvd:

Couldn't find any efta or radians =(

If any one has any feedback on convertibles, i'd love to hear it.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: played at BRU & Target lots of pics

When my son was 6 months old, he outgrew his infant carrier. He was 21lbs & 28 inches. We bought a Britax Marathon in 2008 and I absolutely loved the seat. His head didn't slump when he slept, it fit RFing in my Explorer.. it was just an overall really high quality seat. He is now almost 3 y/o, 34lbs, & 36 inches and is still very comfortable. He's on the third notch from the bottom. I didn't know about Extended RFing back then, so technically he could still be RFing..

We plan to pass this seat onto my daughter when she needs to be out of Graco Snugride 35 and purchase my son a Britax Frontier85. I absolutely love Britax, and although I haven't dealt with many other seats I just can't say enough about them. It's also nice that on the website you can pretty much replace any part of the seat except for the shell.

Goodluck

Thanks... he's in a keyfit 30 and is abt to outgrow it both soon by height and weight.
    He's 26 lbs and his head is almost less than two inches from top. I jst bought my dd the frontier but she owned a graco comfort sport which I HATE! So would love to invest in a convertible that i'd love. Thanks once again. If anyone has convertibles that they love pls let me know and I'll check them out...

look at all that growing room in the complete air (by the way it's not the lx model). That should be a contender in my opinion. I have two and they are easy to use and have great longevity.

Crystal: CPST, DCP and BFF to:
    Hania: 3 months, rf in a nuna pipa
    Piper: 2 years, 26lbs rf in a monkey clek fllo
    Isabella: 4.5 years, 32lbs rf in a clek foonf
    Rocking out in a 2015 Subaru WRX and a 2006 Toyota Sienna

Wow! Look at the difference in how much shell he has over his head. Did you try the MyRide?

The pictures say it all, look how much room he has in the CA compared to the MA and BLVD!!!! Makes me wish I still had my CA
    Jen CPST-I
    DS1: 7 years 43# 49" Monterey, Probooster, Turbo SS DS2: 5 years 36# 41" Recaro Prosport, Frontier 85 and BV70

CPS Fanatic

For a child that heavy already I'd definitely get a 40lb rfing seat. And probably the CA because he seems tall. The radian is another good tall 40-45lb rfing seat, if it works in your vehicle. The My Ride is another option, but the growing room will be similar to the MA or Blvd.
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

Carseat Crazy

Your DS fits in the seats like my DS2 did, although my DS has a slightly longer torso I think. We do own a RA50 that we got during the Target clearance for $48, but his main seat is a TFP. He has tons more growing room in the TRP than the RA50 (same as MA and BV). The only seats I considered were the CA, TFP, and Radian XTSL. I was able to try out the TFP IRL at USA Baby. I also tried out the Radian at USA Baby and The Right Start. The Britax seats were never a contender since there was so much less growing room and DS1 outgrew his BV by height before 5 years old and DS2 seems like he's going to be taller than him. Here's some pics:

Outgrown Keyfit 30 at 9 1/2 months old

1 inch above head

True Fit Premier at 9 1/2 months old

Lots of growing room

Roundabout 50 at 12 months old

Roundabout 50 at almost 14 months old and installed in the car
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner (11 yrs old, 102lbs, 61" tall, adult seat belt)
    Parker (6 yrs old, 49lbs, 49" tall, FR90 and FR85)

He is sooo cute!!!!!
    Momma to three munchkins! Own a Recaro ProSport, FR85, TF, Blvd70, Scenera, Radian, Britax Chaperone, Evenflo HBB, Evenflo NBB ... cruising around in a 2011 Ford Explorer and 2011 F-150

Well thanks for all the responses... I did not see the myride at target yesterday. Going to buybuybaby today to play with more carseats. Hopefully I'll see the radian, myride, and TFP there.

Talking Re: played at BRU & Target lots of pics

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    Your DS fits in the seats like my DS2 did, although my DS has a slightly longer torso I think. We do own a RA50 that we got during the Target clearance for $48, but his main seat is a TFP. He has tons more growing room in the TRP than the RA50 (same as MA and BV). The only seats I considered were the CA, TFP, and Radian XTSL. I was able to try out the TFP IRL at USA Baby. I also tried out the Radian at USA Baby and The Right Start. The Britax seats were never a contender since there was so much less growing room and DS1 outgrew his BV by height before 5 years old and DS2 seems like he's going to be taller than him. Here's some pics:

Outgrown Keyfit 30 at 9 1/2 months old

Cute kiddo! I realize that my ds is very close to outgrowing the keyfit 30! I've been trying to figure out which seat to get him for a while now... before his first bday... now that he's almost 13 months its def time. I guess I'll use his sisters graco comfortsport today since I'm getting worried he's too big for the KF 30. I hate the graco CS. Ugh!

Will post the pics of our buy buy baby run today!

How does the CA fit in the car? That was the first time I put ds in a big boy car seat and I never noticed how tall he is... his torso is almost as long as my jst turned 4 yr old...

Carseat Crazy

I didn't try out the CA in my car, but I wanted to say that the TFP, CA, and Radian all had about the same amount of growing room for DS2. My DS1 who was 6 1/2 at the time that we tried out all the seats was pretty much even with the top slots in all three seats, while he outgrew his Britax BV heightwise a few months before he turned 5.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner (11 yrs old, 102lbs, 61" tall, adult seat belt)
    Parker (6 yrs old, 49lbs, 49" tall, FR90 and FR85)