Transporting seats: What's the difference?

Ladyl

Why is it ok to ship seats in the mail but not check them on airplanes? DH worked for a delivery company for awhile and he said that most of the guys were not gentle with packages.

I'm mostly just curious!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They're packaged for shipping. If you put it in the original box and anything that came in it, and checked it that way that is an option. Most people find that an annoying option that's hard to pull off logistically, and the box disappeared long ago. But most people put it in a garbage bag to keep the cover clean and check it that way, no protection at all.

Wendy

itzmeigh

Maybe I've looked in the wrong boxes but I've never noticed any kind of packing in a carseat box. Just a box wrapped around the seat. No real protection.

I think that the real answer is... Nothing. There is no real difference in how the seats are handled.

For me the difference comes in use. When I oorder a seat in the mail I have time to get the seat check it for damage and then decided if it is safe to use. (Does the box look to be in good shape, is there any visible damage to any part of the seat.)

But when I check a seat on a plane I NEED THAT SEAT when I reach the other end of my flight. I need it RIGHT THEN. I won't have any way to use a back-up seat until I get a replacement for the damaged seat.

Also for me shipping a seat is a little more of a must. There really is no other way to get it from point A to point B. On a plane flight I do have an option. I can check it and chance it will be damaged or I can keep it with me and be sure it isn't. Most times I'd pick to keep it with me.

Pixels

The shipping box is protection. It's not just wrapping it in paper. It's corrugated cardboard, with strength. If the box has significant damage, even most of the carseat un-savvy people will give their new seat an extra once-over.

Maedze

Maybe I've looked in the wrong boxes but I've never noticed any kind of packing in a carseat box. Just a box wrapped around the seat. No real protection.

I think that the real answer is... Nothing. There is no real difference in how the seats are handled.

For me the difference comes in use. When I oorder a seat in the mail I have time to get the seat check it for damage and then decided if it is safe to use. (Does the box look to be in good shape, is there any visible damage to any part of the seat.)

No, the design of the box IS the protection. The cardboard crumples and accordions and absorbs most of the energy directed at the package.

OP, I guarantee you the shipping guys are a lot more gentle with the packages than the baggage guys are :cool:

Ladyl

Ok, the corrugated box as protection makes alot of sense!

OP, I guarantee you the shipping guys are a lot more gentle with the packages than the baggage guys are :cool:

DH told me stories about the guys throwing boxes labeled as computers. But then again this shipping company is now out of business...

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
DH told me stories about the guys throwing boxes labeled as computers. But then again this shipping company is now out of business...

My guess is they could tell by their weight that they weren't computers (can most people throw a computer? Laptops sure, but desktops? A dell tower, no monitor or keyboard or anything, is 28 pounds shipped). A lot of people reuse boxes.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC