SunMilk?

ADS

broken4u05

Never seen it. It is very weird but i am sure it would be helpful to some people that can't have the fat that is in milk. Looks like the is not in it. That is how i took it

gwenvet

Really neet! Would be great to switch kids to instead of lowfat milk at what is it 2yrs that the pediatriciand recommend?

skaterbabs

Children under age 6 should not be on reduced-fat diets at all, their brains are still developing and NEED the fat.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Children under age 6 should not be on reduced-fat diets at all, their brains are still developing and NEED the fat.

I know you don't do milk, but would you say it is better to keep kids under 6 on whole (3%) milk then switch to 2%?

broken4u05

So they still have to have whole milk till 6? Or is 2% ok after 2 years. That is what i was hoping but if it is not good than i will not do it. I just drink 2%

arly1983

I am starting to think toddler diets are like toddler carseats. YOu NEED to do your own research. My ped said several times that Jackson needed to be switched to 2% because he didn't need the fat anymore and that with childhood obesity on the rise, they were trying to be proactive!?!?!? Anyway, I did my own research (westonaprice website is a good place) and guess what he needs it and so do I.

skaterbabs

I know you don't do milk, but would you say it is better to keep kids under 6 on whole (3%) milk then switch to 2%?

Absolutely. Actually, as far as milk goes, if you're going to drink it anyway (remember, milk is a food, not a beverage), drink whole. If you want to reduce the fat in your diet, and you're going to drink milk, reduce the fat elsewhere.

Removing the fat from milk makes it unstable, and the stabalizer (vit a palmitate) is often preserved with BHT.

Kids under 6, unless morbidy obese, should NEVER be placed on a reduced fat diet. And even obese kids should have unhealthy fats replaced with healthy fats because overweight or not, their brains need the fat to develop properly.

Kellyr2

Well, you learn something new every day! A good friend of mine is a nutritionist and says that no one over 2 should be on whole milk. That after 2, you should switch to 2% or skim, due to the high fat content of whole milk. I know for most of us, whole milk just tastes gross... (I don't give enough milk to my toddlers for it to matter, so I give 2%, which is what I drink)

scatterbunny

Whole milk tastes AWESOME, it's the lower-fat milk that tastes nasty to me! Tastes like water with some crap thrown in, LOL!

FAT is not bad. FAT is not bad. BAD FATS are bad. GOOD FATS are good. We need them to function properly. Not just kids, but adults, too. In the research I have done, particularly in the area of dietary changes for people with health issues (PCOS, high blood pressure, high cholesterol), those put on traditional low-fat American diets did not improve; those put on high GOOD fat, low simple-carb diets got much better. We eat too much processed crap these days, and believe modified, low-fat foods are the answer.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
Whole milk tastes AWESOME, it's the lower-fat milk that tastes nasty to me! Tastes like water with some crap thrown in, LOL!

FAT is not bad. FAT is not bad. BAD FATS are bad. GOOD FATS are good. We need them to function properly. Not just kids, but adults, too. In the research I have done, particularly in the area of dietary changes for people with health issues (PCOS, high blood pressure, high cholesterol), those put on traditional low-fat American diets did not improve; those put on high GOOD fat, low simple-carb diets got much better. We eat too much processed crap these days, and believe modified, low-fat foods are the answer.

I concur, except for the part about whole milk tasting AWESOME :) I prefer 1 or 2% myself since whole just tastes too creamy, but the kiddos get Organic whole milk - nothing but the best for the little ones. I do confess that I only use heavy whipping cream in my coffee...even whole milk isn't creamy enough for my morning cup a' joe.:D

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Well, you learn something new every day! A good friend of mine is a nutritionist and says that no one over 2 should be on whole milk. That after 2, you should switch to 2% or skim, due to the high fat content of whole milk. I know for most of us, whole milk just tastes gross... (I don't give enough milk to my toddlers for it to matter, so I give 2%, which is what I drink)

I have always heard that after 2 you can switch from whole milk to 2% but not any less then 2%.

Niea

That's because this country has this insane notion that people (adults and children alike) NEED milk. You can thank the Dairy Council for that one -- all marketing. So people think that the only way a person can be healthy is to drink milk, and drink a lot of it. In our society of overindulgence, the more the better, right? So if one glass is okay, 8 glasses must be better!

So instead of people treating milk as a food and eating healthy portions, people treat milk as a "free" food, like water. Instead of curbing how much whole milk a child drinks, they instead curb what kind of milk the child drinks. All those glasses of milk add not only fats (which are good) but calories too. A child needs healthy fats for development, but not the 1000 calories that come with their beverage. A similar think can be said for juice (which is worse because it doesn't even have the fats).

The answer, if a person chooses to consume cow's milk, is to drink whole milk but in moderation. If you're thirsty, drink water.

Sorry for the rant -- I know you guys don't know me well, but I don't normally bite ;)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I'm allergic to the fat protein in milk (not lactose interollerant, it's different + I have Chrons Disease) -- if I'm not too poor when we move out to Cali, I'm gonna look into this!

(if I limit my milk intake, then a bit is OK, but I would love to have an alternative!!!)

*Jimaie ... lo ve your new sig :)

steph

I didn't know it was only in So Cal and Vegas??

They actually have commercials for it and they are pretty funny. They are cows dressed up like humans. I could go on but you kinda have to see them. I see it in the store all the time. Never tried it though.

I personally don't drink that much milk and we aren't cereal eaters so it isn't something I would really consider.

gwenvet

FAT is not bad. FAT is not bad. BAD FATS are bad. GOOD FATS are good..

You're absolutely right that bad fats are bad, but whole milk has saturated fats and the Sunmilk replaces those with more healthy unsaturated fatty acids. Here are some interesting info from their Nutritional Analysis report. In kids who are not overweight I fully agree, I would keep them on whole milk, but this seems to be a great alternative to lowfat milk for those kids with the tendency to be overweight.

"However, milk is also ranked as the third highest contributor of saturated fats in the typical American diet. This factor warrants attention because the overabundance of saturated fat in the American diet is a major risk factor for heart disease – the nation’s leading cause of death.

Several studies suggest that a diet high in saturated fat and cholesterol increases the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and certain types of cancer 3,4,5,6. More recent studies show that trans fatty acids behave similarly in the body to saturated fats and, in addition to raising LDL, may also lower HDL 7. This body of scientific evidence has led organizations such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH), American Heart Association (AHA), American Dietetic Association (ADA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to recommend a diet that is limited in saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol. The 2005 Dietary Guidelines recommend that less than 10 percent of calories come from saturated fatty acids and advise that trans fatty acid consumption be “as low as possible.”

A variety of studies demonstrate the benefits of replacing unhealthy saturated fats and trans fats with unsaturated fats and, more recently, researchers have investigated the benefits of unsaturated fats versus carbohydrates for cholesterol control, blood sugar and weight management. Following is a more detailed discussion of each.

With a watchful eye on the obesity epidemic and rising rates of diseases that are preventable by diet and exercise, health professionals and public health organizations are making recommendations to continue limiting saturated fat, trans fat and cholesterol while increasing consumption of healthier unsaturated fats. SunMilk mirrors the new dietary recommendations, with zero saturated and trans fatslow cholesterol and high-quality MUFAs. It also has a creamier consistency and improved mouthfeel over non-fat milk, so those who have abandoned the entire category because they could not transition from whole milk to non-fat milk may find satisfaction in SunMilk. The added benefit of higher protein and calcium levels featured in SunMilk is important for normal growth and development and bone health. Adults and children alike could benefit from the boost in nutrients that SunMilk provides. Three, eight-ounce servings per day will provide over 100 percent of the daily calcium needs. Essentially, SunMilk is a nutrient-dense food that provides all of the vitamins and minerals delivered in conventional milk products (some in higher quantities) with a much improved fatty acid profile and no saturated fat. With a higher amount of protein and calcium than conventional milk, SunMilk is quite possibly the world’s healthiest milk."

skaterbabs

Actually, I totally agree with you . lol

That's because this country has this insane notion that people (adults and children alike) NEED milk. You can thank the Dairy Council for that one -- all marketing. So people think that the only way a person can be healthy is to drink milk, and drink a lot of it. In our society of overindulgence, the more the better, right? So if one glass is okay, 8 glasses must be better!

So instead of people treating milk as a food and eating healthy portions, people treat milk as a "free" food, like water. Instead of curbing how much whole milk a child drinks, they instead curb what kind of milk the child drinks. All those glasses of milk add not only fats (which are good) but calories too. A child needs healthy fats for development, but not the 1000 calories that come with their beverage. A similar think can be said for juice (which is worse because it doesn't even have the fats).

The answer, if a person chooses to consume cow's milk, is to drink whole milk but in moderation. If you're thirsty, drink water.

Sorry for the rant -- I know you guys don't know me well, but I don't normally bite ;)

As far as SunMilk being better - that's hype. The fact is, people get too much fat/calories because they treat milk as a beverage - but it's FOOD for INFANT COWS, and people forget that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC