From Regent to adult belt

Wife&MomX3

Since the top slots R so high on the Regent, is it possible for a light child who doesnt have a crazy long torso to use the Regent until they pass the 5 step test, bypassing a booster altogether?

ADS

Maedze

No, not really. Part of seatbelt fit is dependent on overall torso height.

There are some vehicle seats which are just so bizarrely shaped and designed that very small children will fit ok without a booster, but over all, a child whose torso is short enough to have just outgrown the Regent will need a booster for another two to three years or so.

Wife&MomX3

R U sure? I havent seen it play out IRL yet, but a 20" torso on an adult isnt uncommon to my knowledge. My SSH is only 22" and Im almost 5'9".

Jennifer mom to my 7

Pretty sure. THey will at least need a backless. My 7 year old outgrew the regent by height at just before 6, the size of an 8 year old then. Still needs a booster. She is in a monterey right now. With the back still. This is why we are always looking for high back boosters to have at least 21 inch belt guides or taller.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I am sure that it is highly unlikely that a child will safely go from a Regent to an adult seatbelt (nor is it necessarily a desirable goal -- there is no need to harness most kids through puberty).

Most children will need at least a backless booster in most cars, and even if they can squeak through the 5-step test, there are advantages to boostering children with immature hips.

Maedze

R U sure? I havent seen it play out IRL yet, but a 20" torso on an adult isnt uncommon to my knowledge. My SSH is only 22" and Im almost 5'9".

Yes, I'm sure.

A Regent is not going to harness even a short torsoed child beyond 53ish inches.

At the very least, a backless booster will be needed for several years.

AtTheSouthDam

Pretty sure. THey will at least need a backless. My 7 year old outgrew the regent by height at just before 6, the size of an 8 year old then. Still needs a booster. She is in a monterey right now. With the back still. This is why we are always looking for high back boosters to have at least 21 inch belt guides or taller.

Exactly this. DD1 doesn't even pass the five step in the last row of my van (which is pretty small) and she has outgrown the Regent. She'll be in the montery for some time and likely move onto a backless in most cars.

Jennifer mom to my 7

ANd my now 10 year old would have outgrown it at around 7 (although she was already boostered for quite a while by then) at 53 inches, and 80 pounds. And, according to current NY state law, still requires a booster anyway.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My kiddo fit in the Husky (a tad taller than the Regent) till about age 10, but still really needed a booster at least in captain's chairs for another year-18 months till the belt really stayed properly low on his lap. In smaller cars he only needed a booster for maybe 6-12 months.
What a weird feeling it would be, to go from so enclosed and encased to nothing, though, I wonder if kids handle it well? Even my 10 dd now sometimes rides without a booster and she just can't sit properly, even though she passes every other part of the five step test, she leans right down and the lapbelt is promptly up over her abdomen as soon as she's out of position. :rolleyes: A booster saves my voice, from reminding her constantly to sit properly repeatedly on a trip :p

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yes, I'm sure.

A Regent is not going to harness even a short torsoed child beyond 53ish inches.

At the very least, a backless booster will be needed for several years.

Really, it is very hard to imagine how short of torsos kids can have unless you have.

My 14yo would *just* fit the Husky by height and she is 5'9". She went directly into a seatbelt at 80# and 5 feet tall.

DS (11), at 4'10" and 80# just outgrew the Regent by weight. He 5 steps in 99% of cars (the ones he doesn't fit don't fit anybody correctly). I booster him for long trips due to low tone.

DD (8) at 4'5", and 100# still would be on the second to top slot of the Regent if she fit it by weight. If she hadn't gained weight from the steriods for her allergies, I'm positive she could have fit the Regent until she fit the seat belt.

So, while it may not be common, it is possible for kids to fit the Regent until they pass the 5 step test. They just have to be torso-less. long-legged oddities like mine.

Maedze

Ok, so you have rarities, which I think we may have established with other seats like the Marathon/Boulevard, too :p But overall, the chances of a child 5-stepping right out of the Regent are incredibly slim outside of the scenario I described above. (for example, my 5 year old five steps in the third row of our Freestar :rolleyes:)

Wife&MomX3

Thanx 4 all the responses. I dont want ds to go straight from the Regent to nothing, I was just curious since it's top slots R so high. I cant even imagine him being in just a booster yet, let alone just the seatbelt. Yet I C so many kids his size, and smaller, riding around town like that. :(

Wife&MomX3

Ok, so you have rarities, which I think we may have established with other seats like the Marathon/Boulevard, too :p But overall, the chances of a child 5-stepping right out of the Regent are incredibly slim outside of the scenario I described above. (for example, my 5 year old five steps in the third row of our Freestar :rolleyes:)

DS used a RSTV in my dad's element this past weekend, and I didnt check every point, but he was passing some of the 5 steps in that vehicle for sure.

myliljunebugs

My DS is 8 and still hasn't outgrown the Regent (has about an inch left) and he 5 steps in a few vehicles already. I would imagine by the time that he would actually outgrow it (he doesn't ride in it) that he would 5 step in at least half the vehicles if not more. I would imagine DD will be the same way because at 5 she has a fairly short torso for overall height and that will just become more prominent as she gets older. I would expect to use at the minimum a backless, but it is possible it won't be needed in some vehicles.

NannyMom

A outgrew the Nautilus less than 1yr ago, so I imagine she'd still fit in the Regent. Though, with the recline bar, I think it looses some height, right? She 5 steps in my van, but not many other vehicles yet.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC