Is the Monterey really our only/best choice?

Jan06twinmom

I need to get a booster seat for my DS. He is 5.5 years old, about 48in tall and weighed 58lbs at his last dr appointment a few weeks ago. He was actually up to 61lbs early this summer. He's around 97th percentile for height and weight.

His torso height is about 16.5/17 inches. He is on the second to top slots on the Regent in our car (Rav4) and has less than 1/2 in in the Radian (Honda Civic, nanny's car). The booster seat will be going in our 2001 Ford Taurus for part-time use/booster training.

I tried DS in the Parkway SG and he seemed squished in it side to side. He's pretty broad in the shoulder area. I tried him in the new Compass and that fit really well, but the top belt guide is only 20in high. We have a local store that carries the Monterey and they are out of stock right now so I couldn't try him in it.

I wanted to try him in the Vivo and Probooster, but no one in town carries these car seats. It looks like the Probooster would give him more room side to side. I'm looking at the booster seat measurements and it looks like the Indy Jane would work in terms of height, but I'm afraid that he'll hit the 80lb weight too soon.

So should I just go with the Monterey? Or is there another booster seat that would really work well for an off-the-charts big 5.5 year old?

Melanie

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The new airbooster um..i think its called the boost air? is pretty tall, about 21.5 inches or so torso height and nothing n teh shoulder area, just those giant headwings..its really flimsy and requires vehicle support.

But...if the compass gives him 3 inches to grow, why not just use it? 3 inches is a lot of grownig time, even for a big kid. by the time he outgrows a 20 inch guide height, chances are he'll be pushing 8? and probably fine in a backless as a backup seat.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
If you'll have vehicle headrest support in all vehicles the seat would be used in, you could also consider a Cosco Pronto. Inexpensive, adjusts very tall (taller than the Monterey, I think,) and my large-sized 8.5yo fits in it just fine. OTOH, it's pretty much the polar opposite in terms of sturdiness vs. the Monterey. Very lightweight, headwings not great for sleeping, etc. I'm not sure what your criteria is, and I personally would get the Monterey, but I wanted to offer up another opinion.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Vivo is nearly all gone, and Jane' is long discontinued, so don't consider them (Vivo's pretty tight, anyway).

Monterey does sound like it would be perfect....

Which Compass did you try? I'd probably really only consider the Pathway B570 because it has the lower belt guides to keep the lapbelt low off the tummy (other models don't have that and it tends to ride up on younger kids).

Jan06twinmom

Vivo is nearly all gone, and Jane' is long discontinued, so don't consider them (Vivo's pretty tight, anyway).

Monterey does sound like it would be perfect....

Which Compass did you try? I'd probably really only consider the Pathway B570 because it has the lower belt guides to keep the lapbelt low off the tummy (other models don't have that and it tends to ride up on younger kids).

We did try the Pathway B570. I couldn't remember the model when I was posting last night.

Jan06twinmom

If you'll have vehicle headrest support in all vehicles the seat would be used in, you could also consider a Cosco Pronto. Inexpensive, adjusts very tall (taller than the Monterey, I think,) and my large-sized 8.5yo fits in it just fine. OTOH, it's pretty much the polar opposite in terms of sturdiness vs. the Monterey. Very lightweight, headwings not great for sleeping, etc. I'm not sure what your criteria is, and I personally would get the Monterey, but I wanted to offer up another opinion.

I was wondering about the Pronto when I was looking at the list of boosters, but I haven't heard it recommended. Our Taurus has high seat backs but not head rests. So I'm pretty much figuring as long as we have this car, we will need a hbb for my DS. I'm hoping we can replace it before our twins are 7 years old though so it might not be an issue.

Melanie

Jan06twinmom

Have you tried a turbobooster?

I haven't tried a turbobooster and I'm not sure why. I guess I keep hearing that it fits small children well. Will it work for a bigger child over time?

I know it fits my niece who is about 49in tall and weighs 50lbs - but she is 7 years old so I know it will work for her until she is 8 or 9 years old. But with my DS being similar in height and heavier, I wasn't sure if it last very long for him.

If it does fit him, I might get it for the nanny car when he outgrows the Radian.

Melanie

unityco

My 4.5yo has pretty much the exact same measurements as your DS. He's pretty happy in the Monterey. :thumbsup:

andre149

With no headrests the Pronto is a no go... and I think the turbobooster might be as well, but I'm not sure on that one (someone else chime in lol). I would go for the Monterey... he'll be in it for a while, and that way you don't have to try a bunch of different boosters just to end up back at the Monterey :twocents:

Carrie_R

The Turbo is fine without headrests.

The Pronto needs head support, but not necessarily headrests, so until his ears reach the top of the seatback it would be fine... if that would be a while, or if you need a stopgap to save up the funds for the Monterey, then it would work for you.

I like the base of the Pronto. The back, well, I personally am not a fan, although it does the trick.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC