Love my new Radian XTSL

JMacSanDiego

I love it, although the back of it (the Radian carseat) comes rather close to the back of the front seat. I don't know how safe that is. I have the front seat set almost as far forward as it can go, and there is still about 2 inches of space between the carseat and the front seat. 95% of the time, nobody sits in the front seat anyway, so I guess it's no big deal. I have a 2007 Toyota Camry LE, which has never failed me. Anyhow my 2 and a half year old son Ryan seems to love it. He's 27 pounds and 36" tall, and I have the Radian's height adjusted to accommodate his length. Here he is in the seat shortly after it was installed. When this picture was taken, I hadn't yet lowered the straps to the holes below his shoulders, but shortly afterwards I did.
009.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

P1ally

Aw what a cutie :) LOVE our xtsl too :) What part of SD are you in? You can pm me if you want.

JMacSanDiego

Thank you. I am in the Allied Gardens/Del Cerro area. The previous carseat I had for my son (which is now in my mother's car for his use) was/is the Graco MyRide 65, which rearfaces up to 40 pounds. The main reason why I bought the Radian XTSL for him is because it rearfaces to 45 pounds, and I love that! As far as I know, it's the only carseat sold in the United States which has that high rearfacing weight limit. I know two or three other mothers who turned their kid's carseats forward facing because they were worried about their legs being scrunched. I told them that they really should turn them back around so they face backwards. I said that it's better for their legs to be scrunched up than to risk a spinal cord injury (or even death). I'm not trying to tell them how to raise their kids, or but into their business. However it does worry me when I see little toddlers who are forward facing too early. I don't want anything to happen to them. I hope their parents gave thought to what I said, and maybe will turn the seats backwards, or maybe buy a higher weight seat (like mine). The only drawback with the radian is that it's expensive, and some people might not be able to afford it. I was able to purchase mine with my mother's help.

Pixels

I love it, although the back of it (the Radian carseat) comes rather close to the back of the front seat. I don't know how safe that is. I have the front seat set almost as far forward as it can go, and there is still about 2 inches of space between the carseat and the front seat.

It's fine to be close. In fact, the Radian allows for bracing against the front seat. However, your Toyota does not allow the carseat to touch the front seat. As long as you can slide a piece of paper between the carseat and vehicle seat, it's okay.

JMacSanDiego

It's fine to be close. In fact, the Radian allows for bracing against the front seat. However, your Toyota does not allow the carseat to touch the front seat. As long as you can slide a piece of paper between the carseat and vehicle seat, it's okay.
Oh ok, thanks. I currently have the front seat setting as far forward as it can go. When my son is in the seat, there is about 1 and a half inches (or 2 inches) between the back of his carseat, and the back of the front seat. My car's owner's manual says not to let a rearfacing carseat interfere with the locking mechanism of the front seat. They also show an illustration of the front seat bending forwards and backwards. If I could scan it on here, I would. But I don't think I want to rip the page out of the manual. Anyway, thank you for letting me know. I wasn't 100% sure about that. I'm still going to be nervous when he outgrows the rf weight limit of the seat, and I'll have to turn it forward facing. I hope his neck & spine are stronger (and ossified) by then.

sunnymw

The Radian should last you eons and by then it will be very safe for him to be forward facing. Remember that in Sweden they have some of the best statistics around, and they rear-face to 4-5yo and then go straight to a booster most of the time. I really thing MOST kids will make it to 4-5 in the Radian and you have nothing to worry about there!! :)

If you move your front seat back a click or two (which it sounds like you have room to do), just make sure you do it with your LO in the seat because it will move with his weight in it. That way you can make sure that it isn't touching when it's more reclined with the added weight. :)

JMacSanDiego

The Radian should last you eons and by then it will be very safe for him to be forward facing. Remember that in Sweden they have some of the best statistics around, and they rear-face to 4-5yo and then go straight to a booster most of the time. I really thing MOST kids will make it to 4-5 in the Radian and you have nothing to worry about there!! :)

If you move your front seat back a click or two (which it sounds like you have room to do), just make sure you do it with your LO in the seat because it will move with his weight in it. That way you can make sure that it isn't touching when it's more reclined with the added weight. :)
Thank you. Right now when my son is in the carseat, there is about an inch of space between the back of his carseat and the back of the front seat. The front seat is as far forward as it can go, so I might keep it that way since nobody really sits there anyway. This is my little guy, he loves to look at himself in his mirror:
003.jpg

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC