Two questions

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Safe Embraces were good for eight years, right? I saw one on a friend's front porch today. I saw it was an FP, but without absolutely digging around and being vaguely rude and decidedly weird, I didn't get a model name. I asked the dad, but he said it was a carseat, that was all he knew. So I looked it up this evening and sure enough it's a Safe Embrace. It looked to be in FABULOUS condition. But even if it was one of the first ones in 1998, it would have just expired a few months ago, right? I just want to double check that. They weren't using it today for whatever reason, but I want to point out to them that they may need to check. I don't know where they got the seat, their oldest is Piper's age, so I don't know where a 6+ year old seat came from.

Second question. Why do you have to remove the harness of a combination seat when you use it as a booster? If you're not using the harness then you can just sit on it, right? As long as it's not uncomfortable. Or is there a safety reason? I saw one seat like this the other day, where maybe they were using both, I don't know, and then again this afternoon one of the moms has her son, also Piper's age, in a booster in the middle of her Volvo and his harness is still on the seat. He doesn't use it, just the belt, but I saw the harness was there.

Wendy

ADS

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I think someone asked this question in our CPS course. The instructors said they usually recommend removing it only so it doesn't get used past the weight limit - more as an added measure that someone who doesn't know any better might stick the child in the harness someday.

scatterbunny

The old Fisher Price seats (Safe EMBRACE series, not Safe VOYAGE series; and the Stay-in-View and Futura) were good for 8 years, and were discontinued in 2001, so some may be good for another couple of years. :)

southpawboston

I think someone asked this question in our CPS course. The instructors said they usually recommend removing it only so it doesn't get used past the weight limit - more as an added measure that someone who doesn't know any better might stick the child in the harness someday.

that would be my first thought... someone might think the harness should be used when in fact it shouldn't.

mamato2

I have seen this too. I think they do it so that two kids can share the seat? Makes sense if you know what you are doing but I'd think it would be uncomfortable for the booster mode user!
C.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC