Reassure me DS will make it to 3 in RN 65SL

Cattitude

DS had a weigh in with clothes officially at doctor's office. 34 lbs full dressed. He's 23 months and I know he should make it to 3 before hitting 40 lbs but can I hear from some other moms of bigger kids?

I have the XT in my car at least but we got the 65 when diapers.com made the pricing error several months back. Now I'm starting to wonder if i should have just sucked it up and gotten another XT. He's not even a chunkster, looks very average weight to me but tall and muscular.

Tell me how much your 3 year olds weigh please!

ADS

Angela

My DS was about 30-35 lbs at that age too. That's where he leveled off and he stayed that weight until he turned about 4, so there's still hope. :)

a_js

I can only tell you my own experience.. ds was 35 pounds at 20 months. It was fairly painful to carry him at that weight. He was/is not fat, just a BIG kid--tall as well as heavy. He grew fast. But then he leveled way, way off and wasn't 40 pounds until almost 4. So, FWIW, I think you will be ok. He is now 49 lbs, at 6, so you can see how growth slowed down a lot.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
My DD gained a pound each month for about 6 months between 1 and 2. She leveled off and has only gained 2lbs in about 9-10 mo now.

ahgirls

My DD2 is very BIG tall and muscular. All the weights are listed as undressed at the doctors. She weight almost 32 lbs at 2 yrs and 41 lbs at 3 yrs. She will be 4 in November and now weights 43lbs.
As long as he slows down you should make it to 3yrs rearfacing. At least summer clothing weighs less to stretch those last few pounds next year. Good Luck:)

Lulu

A good way to make an educated guess would be to look at a growth chart and see what weight he'd be at age three if he stayed at his current percentile.

My DD will be three in November, and I'm pretty sure she's only gained two or three pounds since her second birthday. I have to say though, your DS looks really tall in that seat for just 23 months old. Luckily, his major growth should be in his limbs from now on.

myliljunebugs

DS weighed 31 lbs at 2, 33 lbs at 3, and 38 lbs at 4 if that helps. Now at 8 he weighs 58-61 depending on what day you weigh him

jeno

Senior Community Member
I've had 2 bigger kids too. DS outgrew a RFacing Britax with a 33lb limit right at 2. My DD is only just 2 and a few mos @ 35lbs, and I can already see the growth slowing. Its all about height after this. DS never actually never hit 40lbs until closer to 4, rather than 3.

flutie128

My DS was a big guy and was about 36 pounds at 3. It took another couple of months to hit 40 pounds. He is now 6 and 50 pounds naked.

armywife12

My son was 33lbs at 22 months old and 35lbs right before his second birthday. He turns 3 next week and is only 37lbs. He's fluctuated between 35-37lbs for the last year so he has significantly slowed down in weight. Can't say for sure if yours will do the same but I wouldn't start worrying about it just yet.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter was 36 lbs. at 24 months. 37.5 at 26 months. At 27 months, she weaned. At 27.5 months, she's now back to 35. So, yeah, expect some yo-yoing at this age. :)

stephcali

My 3.5 year old DD was 35lbs at 24 months and 43lbs at her 3 year appointment, so no she would not have made it ERF in a 40lb seat. (As it was at the time we had to turn her way before that anyway since there wasn't anything at the time that went above 35lbs). BUT my DD is a giant and is very tall also, she was very close to outgrowing the Radian RF'ing by height at 3 as well, so she is definitely big girl (not chubby though, just big).

Cattitude

A good way to make an educated guess would be to look at a growth chart and see what weight he'd be at age three if he stayed at his current percentile.

My DD will be three in November, and I'm pretty sure she's only gained two or three pounds since her second birthday. I have to say though, your DS looks really tall in that seat for just 23 months old. Luckily, his major growth should be in his limbs from now on.

Funny thing, in that picture he's actually only 18 months! I just changed his age under the pic, need to change the actual pic to match it!

My 3.5 year old DD was 35lbs at 24 months and 43lbs at her 3 year appointment, so no she would not have made it ERF in a 40lb seat. (As it was at the time we had to turn her way before that anyway since there wasn't anything at the time that went above 35lbs). BUT my DD is a giant and is very tall also, she was very close to outgrowing the Radian RF'ing by height at 3 as well, so she is definitely big girl (not chubby though, just big).

I'm also thinking my DS may outgrow it by height first. He has one slot left for the harness. We'll have to see how much he grows in the next year and how much of it is torso height.

Thanks everyone :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC