Help me find something

BudgieStew

I recall seeing a list of all the cons of the Eddie Bauer/AO seats a while back.
Maybe on this forum maybe on another but a few searches have not turned it up.
Anyone know what I am talking about and where I can find it?

Thanks

ADS

canadianmom2three

Have never seen such a list - but as a past owner of an EB (the one that wasn't even as nice as the EB/AO seat) and also a regular AO, I feel like I could write a pretty long list:p ...but I guess that doesn't help

Lara

I stole this one from someone on Delphi!

1. This WILL NOT BE THE ONLY SEAT YOU WILL EVER NEED!! Reason being... Carseats expire after 6 years max (plastic starts to break down after 5 years and the seat can have hidden damage and fail in a crash). Children need to ride in a booster seat until they are 8-10 years old and at least 4ft 9in tall. Also there are new advances on carseats all the time and in 6 years there will be lots of new information and new seats out that will be better. You will need to purchase a new seat after your AO expires.
2. There have been problems with the harness straps twisting. You may or may not have a problem with this, but something to be aware of and for others to know. These MUST be untwisted EVERY SINGLE RIDE and need to lie flat against the body.
3. The harness slots are rather low on this seat and your child may outgrow it by height before weight and making them need the belt position booster when they should still be in a harness (should be in a harness until at least 40lbs).
4. The back on the booster is not all that high and will probably be outgrown by a child at about 60lbs (tips of ears are even with the top of the shell).
5. The AO is designed with less head/side support then other convertibles in order to accommodate the later belt-position booster. But yet it offers too much side support for a belt position booster and it could cause the shoulder belt to be held away from the child’s body and in a crash the child could slip out from under the belt.
6. The chest clip tends to slide down when in use and the clip needs to stay at armpit level in order to prevent ejection from the seat and car in the event of a crash. Cosco is aware of this problem and has redesigned the clip, but some models still have the old clip.
7. This seat can be very difficult to install in many vehicles. It has many incompatibility issues. Some of which cannot be fixed and a different seat is recommended.
8. Seat shell may crack in extreme heat. This renders the seat completely useless. Cosco is not at all surprised this accurse and Cosco customer service says (according to one mom who spoke with customer service) "sometimes that happens on these seats when you have a hot spell".
From Consumer Reports…
9. When used a belt position booster (with out the harness) the belt guide can stick causing the belt to have slack. The child could slip out from under it in the event of a crash.
10. Also when used as a belt position booster (also with other Cosco boosters) children can slip out from under the lap belt portion in a crash.
New info I have learned about Cosco as a company: First, Cosco has several lawsuits filed against them right now for allegedly selling dangerous seats. They are aware of many problems with certain seats and refuse to pull them from store shelves as they “pass all federal safety standards”. The reason these seats pass standards is because they are only TESTED in frontal collisions, but the in real life results have been much different and unfortunately it has resulted in many children being seriously injured, paralyzed, and killed. Second, Cosco has been fined by the government many, many times for reporting false information to NHSTA about their seats. Third, Cosco will wait until they absolutely HAVE to put a recall out on one of their seats before doing so. This to me tells me they are a company out for a few $$ instead of worrying about children’s lives

broken4u05

I used to think that was the best seat because it was all you will ever need. Now i know better and i am glad. But i have used those seats before and i just do not like them

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I am glad I never bought a AOE! I almost did but then I ended up with a comfortsport. I didn't like how the AO/AOE's do not have a solid back :rolleyes: And in the end, ended up with a Marathon which I love :) I can't believe how many people choose this seat over others thinking they can use it for forever; well almost anyways :p I have told people my MA will likely last me longer then their AO/AOE will last them and my child will be in a harness the whole time :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC