A Bad Car Seat Day

montanamama

Sorry but I had to tell someone and I knew you ladies would understand. It started yesterday when we where coming home from a 6 hour car ride DD's pull up leaked in the car seat. This morning I needed to go into town and go grocery shopping (30 mile drive) so I pulled it out and set it on an outdoor table and put in another and went to town. On our way I got a flat tire, no tire store open today so I had to leave my car in town and barrow my sister's extra car not sure what it is but it is a 1980's grandma car and try and put my car seats that I had at the time in it. there is only lap belts in the back and I had my 5y/o DS in a booster so he had to go in the front, and I had to try and fit DD's MR in the back, it couldn't fit RF so I had to turn her FF for the trip home. She is 26m but only 23lbs. :thumbsdown:

When I thought the day couldn't get any worse I forgot about the car seat and tonight I was sitting on the computer and hear some thumping outside and I got up and looked out the window and the was a BEAR eating the car seat:eek: Yes a Bear a black bear!! Apparently it wanted some goldfish that where in the bottom of the seat. It was a new Avenue that I had just got for 35.00 a few weeks ago. :mad: and I sold all of my extra convertible seats in a garage sale last week so I have no more extras!
It was a very bad and sad car seat day:thumbsdown:

ADS

Mae

Wow. What a day. A bear? Eating... your car seat?

How ironic that it was after the goldfish.

montanamama

I scared the bear off but it is dark out and DH is out of town so the seat will be spending the night out there and if it is still there in the AM I will take pics.

Jan06twinmom

Sorry about your bad car seat day. But the bear eating the car seat is definitely one of those stories that will be talked about for a LONG time.

I read that bears in Yosemite try to break into minivans because there is always food inside - at least in the car seats. Not sure if the bears recognize a minivan or if they can just smell all of the yummy crumbs in the car seats.

Melanie

montanamama

*UPDATE* the car seat spent the night outside and yes the bear did come back because it was moved in the yard. Remarkably it doesn't look that bad for being attacked by a bear, there are some small rips in the underside of the cover near the RFing belt guide and some holes in the EBS foam at the top (I am thinking where it's teeth where when it moved it) there are some scratches on the frame but it looks like it is from being knocked to the cement from the table. the chest clip was moved up as high as it would go and there was not a crumb of goldfish in the seat!

We will be destroying the seat and not using it again because who knows what the bear did to it that we can't see..... on that note anyone have any recommendations for a good ERF seat that is cute for a girl my DD loved the "pretty" seat. We already have a MR in Bartlet as her main seat.

CrunchyMaineMama

Senior Community Member
Oh my gosh I can't believe a bear attacked your seat! That is insane. I agree with not using it anymore who knows if the harness straps were compromised or anything else. Do you just need a secondary seat? The Scenara comes in nice girly prints. It'd be a cheap solution for you.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Yeah, maybe a 40lb Scenera? Or even a 40lb Scenera with a different Scenera cover?

As funny as it is to read, that really stinks about your seat. :(

glockchick

On the up side, at least it wasn't a $300 seat. Still sucks though.

It is funny to picture. ;) I'd be tempted to call safety first, tell them what happened, and ask if the seat was still ok to use just to hear the reaction of the cs agent. Lol

montanamama

Yes it is funny I cried and then laughed.... the camera is in the van in town at the tire shop I am waiting for DH it get home so I don't have to drive again with the kids in that car. I was going to try and get the Avenue RF in the car so we could go get our van but yah that isn't going to happen now.... Yes we just need a 2nd seat but with DH going out of town to play with his friends and all of this happening and the fact that yesterday was our anniversary I am thinking I can get him to agree to pay for a nicer car seat than a Sencera. I have been looking at the TF in Butterflies they have on the walmart website. It is kind of mean but I had to deal with all of this by myself on our anniversery and 6months pregnant putting a donut on my van on the side of the road while he was on an overnight sailing trip...

a_js

we just need a 2nd seat but with DH going out of town to play with his friends and all of this happening and the fact that yesterday was our anniversary I am thinking I can get him to agree to pay for a nicer car seat than a Sencera. I have been looking at the TF in Butterflies they have on the walmart website. It is kind of mean but I had to deal with all of this by myself on our anniversery and 6months pregnant putting a donut on my van on the side of the road while he was on an overnight sailing trip...

Nah, it's not mean. It's totally fair.

My DH is going to a baseball game tonight, I'm home with DS, I'm 6.5 months pregnant and I am ordering a pizza instead of cooking, so there. Same principle ;)

I want pics too, I had a bad car seat week, animal damage was included but just cats, nothing beats a bear!! Not even the neighbor crashing the seat she borrowed from you and not believing you that it needs to be replaced. Bear wins the cake!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC