Let's pro/con 2011 Sienna / 2011 Odyssey - TOP Trim Levels

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Obviously these are opinions.. Correct me if I'm wrong on some of these, but I'd love if we came up with some fairly exhaustive comparisons. I replace my cars every 3 years, so my 2008 will likely mean a new 2011 Sienna or Ody. The Ody just doesn't wow, considering they had the ability to see the Sienna in action before hitting market.

Cons on both:
Lack of power tumble on the rear rows

Sienna Pro:
Cushy/comfy seating
Push-button start
Better/more updated dash and control layout
Dual sunroofs (Does Ody have that?)
AWD

Sienna Con:
No 8 passenger seating on the Limited model

Odyssey Pro:
Cooler (for drinks, not just COOL-er..)
The ability to split up the seats and get three across in the centre row
8 passenger seating on Touring

Odyssey Con:
No push-button start
Barely updated interior/exterior from the 2010 and prior
Still no AWD option?

Questions--
do they both have LED tail lights? And Xenon headlights (Sienna does) ??

ADS

QuassEE

That doesn't actually help.

As a carseat technician, as would be the case with any carseat technician that remembers the big CR blunder a few years back, I really don't have ANY faith in CR's ability to assess a product. Period.

-N.

canadiangie

Well, far from exhaustive, and not at all a detailed list. But just the fixed 2nd row captains chairs alone make the Sienna a no-go for me. I actually get a little jittery when I think about owning a minivan that doesn't allow for sliding the captains chairs together.

But really, I get a little jittery when I think about owning a minivan at all. So maybe just ignore me. ;)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The new Ody is supposed to have three "real" seats in the 2nd row instead of two and a half like the current models (8-seater only).

Meanwhile, the new Sienna has downgraded their 8th seat compared to previous model years.

(I won't mention Toyota's horrid ad campaign for the 2011 Sienna... :thumbsdown: )

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Hm, interesting. I will be following this thread, as we're planning on getting a new minivan in January, and the Sienna is the front runner, due to the AWD option (and my husband loves the commercials :rolleyes:).

QuassEE

How ironic. I used to want an Odyssey with Sienna seating, and now I want a Sienna with Odyssey seating. How can I pass up AWD and push-button start?

-Nicole.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
By "push button start," do you mean a button on the key? Because I was under the impression that those starters are fairly inexpensive and easy to install after market.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Consumer Reports reviewed the 2011 Sienna in the new edition that just arrived. They didn't seem as fond of it as the old Sienna and overall it was a distant second to the current Odyssey.

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Isn't the push button start like the Nissans where no key goes in an ignition, you just have to have the keys in your pocket or purse and the doors unlock and it starts when you push the button? Like that?

QuassEE

Yup--you just have to have the key in the car with you to push a button and start the vehicle. A lot of cars have had that for years now, but this is the first time I've seen a minivan with it. I first saw it on an old G35.

-Nicole.

QuassEE

It's an option that's offered, but obviously it's installed at the dealership. Not really cold enough here for remote start.

-N.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Don't know if it is the same for the Sienna but the Toyota remote start for the Tundra is the stupidest thing ever...it shuts back off when you open the door. WTF?

Oh and I looked at the Sienna when we were looking at Sequoias...I did not like the two tone leather on the Limiteds.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Dani, every remote start I have owned (and granted, I only owned base-models) shuts off when you put your foot on the brake. It is still very helpful, as it does the warming before you get to the car, and then you can just start with the key.

I will say that I appreciated my remote start very much in Arizona, when I could start my car from my apartment and take my newborn down to an air-conditioned car. Best invention ever ;)

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Dani, every remote start I have owned (and granted, I only owned base-models) shuts off when you put your foot on the brake. It is still very helpful, as it does the warming before you get to the car, and then you can just start with the key.
Really? That would bother me.

The Toyota one shuts off when you open a door...which means it stops cooling/heating before you can get the kids loaded which negates the point for me. Mine is awesome and stays on until I turn it off or after 10 (maybe 20) minutes. Then when I am ready to drive I just put the key it and turn it to on and the car is "officially on" and ready to drive.

Most of the guys on my hubbys Tundra forum end up going with a Viper remote start system since they don't want it to cut off when you open the door.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Yeah I know there are certain models that allow you to put the key in and the car remains running. I think the one on DH's van is like that, but it requires a certain sequence that I can never remember, and I always manage to put my foot on the brake as if to shift from neutral, which shuts the engine off. I want the autostart that has the iPhone app, where you can start it from several miles away, which would be super helpful on mornings when I am coming home from work and have to get into a car that's been sitting overnight in -20* temps.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Yeah I know there are certain models that allow you to put the key in and the car remains running. I think the one on DH's van is like that, but it requires a certain sequence that I can never remember, and I always manage to put my foot on the brake as if to shift from neutral, which shuts the engine off. I want the autostart that has the iPhone app, where you can start it from several miles away, which would be super helpful on mornings when I am coming home from work and have to get into a car that's been sitting overnight in -20* temps.

Haha oh a certain sequence...yeah I guarantee I could never remember that either! The one my husband plans on getting the Viper 1 (??) has the Iphone app....I forsee it being a problem for him because he easily gets sidetracked.:whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC