Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Moderator - CPST Instructor QuassEE's Avatar

Let's pro/con 2011 Sienna / 2011 Odyssey - TOP Trim Levels

Obviously these are opinions.. Correct me if I'm wrong on some of these, but I'd love if we came up with some fairly exhaustive comparisons. I replace my cars every 3 years, so my 2008 will likely mean a new 2011 Sienna or Ody. The Ody just doesn't wow, considering they had the ability to see the Sienna in action before hitting market.

Cons on both:
    Lack of power tumble on the rear rows

Sienna Pro:
    Cushy/comfy seating
    Push-button start
    Better/more updated dash and control layout
    Dual sunroofs (Does Ody have that?)
    AWD

Sienna Con:
    No 8 passenger seating on the Limited model

Odyssey Pro:
    Cooler (for drinks, not just COOL-er..)
    The ability to split up the seats and get three across in the centre row
    8 passenger seating on Touring

Odyssey Con:
    No push-button start
    Barely updated interior/exterior from the 2010 and prior
    Still no AWD option?

Questions--
    do they both have LED tail lights? And Xenon headlights (Sienna does) ??

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.
    It's like free money...Couponsurfers.com

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Let's pro/con 2011 Sienna / 2011 Odyssey - TOP Trim Levels

Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

That doesn't actually help.

As a carseat technician, as would be the case with any carseat technician that remembers the big CR blunder a few years back, I really don't have ANY faith in CR's ability to assess a product. Period.

-N.

Abbi (9, Ozzi/Olli), Aiden (11, Affix), Mason (16), & Kyle (18) in '02 Protege5 & '11 Ody TE.

Well, far from exhaustive, and not at all a detailed list. But just the fixed 2nd row captains chairs alone make the Sienna a no-go for me. I actually get a little jittery when I think about owning a minivan that doesn't allow for sliding the captains chairs together.

But really, I get a little jittery when I think about owning a minivan at all. So maybe just ignore me.
    dd1 - 8y6m, hbb PWSGL
    dd2 - 7y3m, hbb PWSGL
    dd3 - 4y3m, ff advocate/frontier xt

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

The new Ody is supposed to have three "real" seats in the 2nd row instead of two and a half like the current models (8-seater only).

Meanwhile, the new Sienna has downgraded their 8th seat compared to previous model years.

(I won't mention Toyota's horrid ad campaign for the 2011 Sienna... )
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Hm, interesting. I will be following this thread, as we're planning on getting a new minivan in January, and the Sienna is the front runner, due to the AWD option (and my husband loves the commercials ).
    Anna~ RN and expired CPST (hoping to recert soon!)

How ironic. I used to want an Odyssey with Sienna seating, and now I want a Sienna with Odyssey seating. How can I pass up AWD and push-button start?

-Nicole.

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

By "push button start," do you mean a button on the key? Because I was under the impression that those starters are fairly inexpensive and easy to install after market.
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!

Consumer Reports reviewed the 2011 Sienna in the new edition that just arrived. They didn't seem as fond of it as the old Sienna and overall it was a distant second to the current Odyssey.

Isn't the push button start like the Nissans where no key goes in an ignition, you just have to have the keys in your pocket or purse and the doors unlock and it starts when you push the button? Like that?

Yup--you just have to have the key in the car with you to push a button and start the vehicle. A lot of cars have had that for years now, but this is the first time I've seen a minivan with it. I first saw it on an old G35.

-Nicole.

Eh, remote start would have been much more helpful, but that's easy enough to install aftermarket.

It's an option that's offered, but obviously it's installed at the dealership. Not really cold enough here for remote start.

-N.

Don't know if it is the same for the Sienna but the Toyota remote start for the Tundra is the stupidest thing ever...it shuts back off when you open the door. WTF?

Oh and I looked at the Sienna when we were looking at Sequoias...I did not like the two tone leather on the Limiteds.

Dani, every remote start I have owned (and granted, I only owned base-models) shuts off when you put your foot on the brake. It is still very helpful, as it does the warming before you get to the car, and then you can just start with the key.

I will say that I appreciated my remote start very much in Arizona, when I could start my car from my apartment and take my newborn down to an air-conditioned car. Best invention ever

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    Dani, every remote start I have owned (and granted, I only owned base-models) shuts off when you put your foot on the brake. It is still very helpful, as it does the warming before you get to the car, and then you can just start with the key.
    Really? That would bother me.

The Toyota one shuts off when you open a door...which means it stops cooling/heating before you can get the kids loaded which negates the point for me. Mine is awesome and stays on until I turn it off or after 10 (maybe 20) minutes. Then when I am ready to drive I just put the key it and turn it to on and the car is "officially on" and ready to drive.

Most of the guys on my hubbys Tundra forum end up going with a Viper remote start system since they don't want it to cut off when you open the door.

Yeah I know there are certain models that allow you to put the key in and the car remains running. I think the one on DH's van is like that, but it requires a certain sequence that I can never remember, and I always manage to put my foot on the brake as if to shift from neutral, which shuts the engine off. I want the autostart that has the iPhone app, where you can start it from several miles away, which would be super helpful on mornings when I am coming home from work and have to get into a car that's been sitting overnight in -20* temps.

Quote Originally Posted by An Aurora View Post
    Yeah I know there are certain models that allow you to put the key in and the car remains running. I think the one on DH's van is like that, but it requires a certain sequence that I can never remember, and I always manage to put my foot on the brake as if to shift from neutral, which shuts the engine off. I want the autostart that has the iPhone app, where you can start it from several miles away, which would be super helpful on mornings when I am coming home from work and have to get into a car that's been sitting overnight in -20* temps.
    Haha oh a certain sequence...yeah I guarantee I could never remember that either! The one my husband plans on getting the Viper 1 (??) has the Iphone app....I forsee it being a problem for him because he easily gets sidetracked.

Nothing to add right now but I'll be stalking this since the Odessey and Sienna are the top of our list to replace our car since we are expecting #3.

We will have a first look at the new Odyssey at www.carseatblog.com around 2 weeks from now. Stay tuned!

22. Thank You from: