Does RF leg room matter to you?

purplemama

Like does it determine what seat you use for RF? I scored an Avenue for 17.99 today and DS has NO leg room in it. UGH. But I'm going to use it for awhile to see how it works out. It's not a safety issue at all, right? Just comfort?

ADS

BabyKaykes

If he doesn't complain it wouldn't bother me. I have a problem with Britax and the CA legroom, though. The seats are just so shallow.

Lack of legroom becomes a problem when the kids legs are so long they get in the way of you buckling them in. That's why I sold my FPSVD.

dmpmercury

I haven't found it to be a big deal. My Almost 4 year old is in a boulevard and she never complains about her legs. She crosses them or puts them up on the seat. It isn't a safety issue.

kidnurse

I don't worry about it if DS is not complaining at all. I think a lot of what we worry about comfort-wise is just that, our worry. I let DS tell me what is comfortable or uncomfortable. He is fine in which ever of our seats he is sitting in, RN XTSL, CA, or TF all RF. Not sure of his current size but he is not a little guy, size 3T on top and 2T on bottom at 22 months old.

NannyMom

We're in and out of the car several times /day. I only about leg room if DD's legs are in my way of buckling her.

MissAllyLou

Sort of. I cared enough to move her from a MA/BLVD to a Radian, for a little extra room. I don't care enough to turn her FFing. If she's happy RFing in her Radian with more leg room, that's better for me than her screaming RFing in her Britax seats. :twocents:

Mingie

CPST Instructor
We're in and out of the car several times /day. I only about leg room if DD's legs are in my way of buckling her.

It matters to me when I am buckling dd in when we are going in and out on errands. The MA really was tough when dd was about 18mos. Her legs seemed to be just a difficult length to straighten or bend in the seat. It took a lot of effort to get her in. But now that her legs are getting longer I can straighten them a little easier. That and she can help me get into position. That being said we are close to the rfing limit so we are shopping for an extra seat. And legroom is one of my priorities. But really the leg room has not seemed to bother her in the least.

MamaDweeb

I have to admit that we spent a lot of $$$ on the Radian and I ended up turning my 3 yo to FFing because of the lack of legroom. She constantly complained about it being uncomfortable and I got tired of the fights.

I know.....would I rather fight her and have her safe or have her happy and badly injured? *sigh* but she is a very big girl and 3 months after turning her FFing she hit 35 pounds so being FFing at 35 pounds made me feel a bit better.

But my 16 month old son is still in the Evenflo Triumph RFing with plenty of legroom - he is 25 pounds and about 32 inches tall. He is staying RFing till he hits the limit on that seat :D (the mistake I made with DD is I was uneducated and turned her FFing at 1 yr old, then learned all this safety stuff and turned her back RFing from 15monts to 3 yrs. so she knew the difference. David won't)

Chely7425

I care if they care... enough that I will think of a different seat. My 2 year old complains about the leg room in the CA but we can't fit any other seat in our 2 across so he gets to just suck it up and deal till we get a van.

vonfirmath

I don't know. I've never had an issue. My son got to 3 years old in the Britax Marathon/Roundabout 50 (which are "Infamous" for lack of leg room) and never said a thing about it. Now he is FF in one car and RF in the other car, and he still doesn't complain (though I notice that in the FF car he crosses his feet on the seat instead of letting them hang)

cpsaddict

I think it depends on the kid. My DD is 34" tall at 15.5mths old, but her feet are not all scrunched up in her MA. She is much longer in the torso than in her legs. When my nephews were rf at 2, one would complain constantly about his legs and the other one couldn't care less. So, no, it doesn't bother me and I will not base my car seat purchases on it. If we get past age 2 and 30lbs and she gets really vocal about it, I may turn her, but if she has no complaints, we'll keep rf'ing.

purplemama

Thanks everybody. We've taken several trips now and my DS2 seems comfortable in the Avenue. He slept really good in it yesterday. He says, "I don't like it" but he doesn't throw a fit about being in it at all. I hated it at first but I'm learning to um, deal with it. For $17.99 I think I can put up with a lot!!

My plan is to sell my XTSL because his legs fell asleep alot in it and it's just overkill for him. He's about 36" tall and 25lbs at 2yrs9months old so we'd never need 45lbs RF (or 80 FF). The 35 RF limit and tall shell of the Avenue will do fine. Even 40 FF will probably work for him. With the money from the XTSL I'll buy a babytrend flexloc for the baby because with having a winter n00b in MI I really want a bucket.

mommy-medic

I think it also depends on the vehicle. I had a minivan with bucket seats that allowed the seat back to be reclined up to two positions- that allowed a LOT more legroom for my toddler when she was in her Britax seats. The nanny drove a Nissan Xterra with very upright vehicle seatbacks, and as a result my DDs legs were scrunched up into her chest. I finally had to turn her FFing at just over 3 yo in the nanny's car (and hated the Britax seats for FFing so got her a Nautilus). In my car- now a Toyota Sequoia- she still rides RFing in a Radian xtsl with tons of legroom! (see sig).

simplychels

No it doesn't matter to me OR my DD. It's not even a hint of a consideration when buying car seats.

However, I do notice I get more negative comments about her erf'ing when her legs are more cramped then I do in seats that offer more leg room. Meh really because I know its a non issue.

swtgi1982

Like does it determine what seat you use for RF? I scored an Avenue for 17.99 today and DS has NO leg room in it. UGH. But I'm going to use it for awhile to see how it works out. It's not a safety issue at all, right? Just comfort?

If you do not mind me asking where did you find out at that price?

purplemama

If you do not mind me asking where did you find out at that price?

I heard on here that Kmart had them for that. I went to three different Kmarts before I found one. Grand Rapids area, 68th st. Where I found it there were none on the shelf and the ones they had were hidden on the bottom behind a bunch of different seats. I doubt there are any left, the cashier was suprised to see it for that price and was going to buy at least one on her break and was going to call her friends to tell them about it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC