High back boosters and minivans-a visibility question

jaded

I had to take the back off of DS's Nautilus and Turbo when I got my van, because the back was seriously obstructing my vision(he's 8, and long torsoed, he was on the last height adjustment for the Turbo anyway) I have him on the back bench, to keep him in a separate row from his brother, who is in the passenger captain's chair(8yo is on the driver's side)

But I've seen others keep the backs on for their older children too, how does that work for you? Maybe it's because I'm 5'1?

ADS

Maedze

I don't look through my back window and I don't expect to :)

I have very dark tint, several very tall Nautiluses, and half the time there's a bike rack and bikes on the rear door.

Learn to be handy with your sideviews :)

TerisBoys

:yeahthat:

At one point I had a hb Big Kid, SR/C and Nauti. Pretty much eliminated any rear view within the van.

Look at it this way - someday there's going to be bodies where those booster backs are. Learn to use your mirrors now.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I don't look through my back window and I don't expect to :)

Learn to be handy with your sideviews :)

:thumbsup:

They only get taller and taller, lol. :)

I'm 5 even by the way. But my teen stepsons are 5'6", 5'8" and 5'9" :rolleyes:

You coudl try switching around who goes where, if you would like..putting the taller child in a captains chair, for example, which is already tall, shouldn't obstruct your vision much, and put the smaller kids inthe back row. But you can drive perfectly well using just your side mirrors.

jaded

Oh, I use my mirrors too, maybe i should try the back again now that I'm more used to driving the van(I'd always had a sedan in the past, so that was another issue I had to overcome, the size difference)

christineka

I use the side mirrors. I'm 5'2" and have tall seats in 4 seating positions now. I can barely see out my back window.

BudgieStew

I'm 4 11 and have a Nautilus or Monterey sometime both in the third row depending on what is going on and I think the third row of our Flex has is slightly higher seats like stadium seating. We have tint as well and a Marathon on the other side.
Honestly a back up camera is the only way I can do it. I love that thing and have no idea how I did it before...oh I know I broke the taillights out backing into a snowbank:eek:
We are downsizing and depending on what we get next I will most likely add an after market back up camera.

I might be strange though because I find sedans/small cars harder for rear view then vans. Every time I have to drive a car I feel like I am backing up blind...not enough windows.

LuvMyGirls

I don't have any seats in my third row or a problem seeing out the back, but I do have a hard time seeing out the second row passenger side window when changing lanes because of a Monterey there on its highest height. I do use the mirrors, but I still like to be able to see for sure out the window.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC