Question about older vehicles

kickrz22

I am not sure when tethers became standard but my hubby just bought a used car and I am sure there are no tethers. It is a 1995. Can we just go and get them installed or is there something acceptable if no tether is available?

So if you have an older vehicle with no tether what do you do?

ADS

oddduck

Assuming you are in Canada and you have a forward facing seat - you need to have them installed as top tethers are required by law. I have had 2 installed in my 1998 Jeep Cherokee.

amyd

Post the make and model and someone with a LATCH manual can tell you what part number to ask the dealership to order.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The Honda tether anchor retrofit part number listed in the LATCH manual for all retrofittable Hondas is 82410-SE3-C01, called a "plate assembly" by Honda, and available from Honda dealerships or Honda parts vendors. It retails for approx. $13-15 per part in the U.S. from the dealership, not sure about its cost in Canada. There are three 8 mm weld nuts located in either the rear filler panel/package shelf or in the back wall of the Civic's cargo area, depending on the Civic's body style, for retrofitting up to three top tether anchors. Detailed installation directions are in the owner's manual for a Honda vehicle, not with the tether anchor kit. You can probably do the retrofit installation yourself using a torque wrench to save on labor charges at the Honda dealership. The LATCH manual indicates to tighten the tether anchor bolt to 16 lb-ft torque (22 Nm) using a torque wrench. If a torque wrench is not used, the instructions say to contact a Honda dealer to verify proper installation. This U.S. based online Honda parts vendor has a lower price for the part and appears to be capable of shipping to Canada with a potential savings if the exchange rate is favorable and if the shipping expense doesn't totally go through the roof, something you could consider checking into: http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-PLATE-ASSY__82410-SE3-C01.aspx I don't have any personal experience ordering or any relationship at all with that online parts store. It's just a site I've bookmarked as a lower cost source for the Honda tether anchor retrofit part. :)

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Honda may do one for free. The last time I sent somebody to Honda was about 2 years ago, and they got one free still. A lot of dealerships are getting out of free installation and parts for tether anchors now that all newer vehicles have them pre-installed, however.

-N.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC