Need help choosing new car seat

U

Unregistered

I was in a minor car accident about 3 weeks ago, and it didn't occur to me that I needed to replace my DDs car seat until yesterday when I was reading one of the posts here. She just turned 2 and has been forward facing since she was about 16 months. After reading about the added safety of extended rear facing, this is what I now want to do with her. She weighs 24 lbs and is 34 1/4 inches tall. I'm looking to get suggestions on what type of car seat might be best for her. I would prefer something that she would be able to use for a while, yet not be incredibly too expensive. I just want her to as safe as possible. Any and all suggestions/advice will be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Melissa

ADS

myliljunebugs

Wow, she is a tiny little thing! :D That is great that you are wanting to help her be safe! Could you give us a budget to work with? Honestly at her size and just because I loved ours, I would maybe look at the Evenflo Triumph Advanced. It is a mid priced seat and gives you a lot of bang for the buck! If you post back with a budget, your make and model of car, and anything specific to your situation (i.e. need a narrow seat? want something up high so she can see out or low profile for ease of getting in and out? etc) you will get more help :)

nevaehsmommy

The graco my ride rear faces to 40 pounds. My sister got it for $129 at walmart. Even forward facing it has ALOT of recline so good for sleepers. Really cute covers as well

I have a learning curve True Fit and absolutely LOVE it. It is my favorite seat yet. I have had many and this is one that has not ended up on CL. It rear faces to 35# it has an incredibly tall shell. Even Foreward facing my 4 year old can sleep with out the head to the chest. It has built in lock offs so you do not have to use a locking clip. It also has the nicer style latch clips.

hrice

Look at:

Safety First Complete Air
Evenflo Triumph 65
Sunshine Kids Radians

The Graco Myride 65 is a great seat for shorter, chubbier kiddos as it has a shorter shell.

U

Unregistered

Sorry I forgot to mention some specifics :). I have a 2005 Ford Explorer, and the car seat she has been in is a Graco ComfortSport. The car seat we have been looking at is the Britax Boulevard 70; it seems expensive, but if we can get something that she can use longer and will keep her safe, then we don't mind spending a little extra. I don't know that we have a certain budget; I just want something that is super safe, and this was the first one I saw that would let her sit rear facing until she was 40 pounds. I will definitely check out the ones you all mentioned. Thank you for all of your help so far!!

rosey2007

I don't know how it would install in an Exployer, but I would recommend trying a Radian 80. They are less expensive then Britax and rear face to 45 pounds.

U

Unregistered

I'm thinking about going with the Radian-XT SL. I like that it isn't as bulky and that she can use it longer, both RF and FF.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Unless we're surprised by the new Boulevard, it won't get kids to 40 pounds rear facing. The shell is 1" shorter than the old shell, and the old shell got most kids to close to 35 pounds, but not all kids.

40 pounds rear facing seats:
Sunshine Kids Radian65/80/XT/65SL
Evenflo Triumph Advance 65
Evenflo Maestro
Safety 1st Complete Air
Graco My Ride
new Britax lineup (which is not out in stores, and you need something ASAP)

45 pounds rear facing seats:
Sunshine Kids Radian 80SL/XTSL

Since your daughter is so light, though, 35 pound rear facing seats should work well for her:
Learning Curve True Fit/True Fit Recline/True Fit Premier
Evenflo Triumph Advance
Britax Marathon/Boulevard/Roundabout50

The RadianXTSL is a highly recommended seat here. :) It's generally online only, unless you can find it in a baby boutique. What will your daughter ride in in the meantime?

Wendy

U

Unregistered

I found a good deal online for the Radian XTSL, so I'm going to get that one! Right now my truck is in the process of being fixed, so I have to drive my husband's truck when I go out (which isn't that often). She rides in a Graco ComfortSport when I drive his truck. We probably won't be getting out much until my truck is fixed and we have her new seat.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's not the CS that was in the collision, right?

Just watch for that seat to be outgrown rear facing soon. It's got a 30 pound weight limit rear facing, but the shell is short, so she may not last long in it at all (1" above her head).

Wendy

U

Unregistered

No, it's a different seat. I have noticed that she seems to be getting close to outgrowing it and plan on talking to my husband about getting a new seat for his truck.

And one more quick question: what do I do with the seat that was in the wreck? At first I thought about just throwing it out, but I don't want someone to find it and think it's safe to use (although you can't see any damage just by looking at it).

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Cut the straps, remove the cover, damage the shell as much as possible, write "CRASH, DO NOT USE, DANGEROUS" on it in sharpie. Put the shell of the seat in a trash bag and put it in your trash bin. Don't just put it on the curb. If you guys have power tools and some aggression, have fun. Don't run it over with your car, you'll just scratch it. :whistle:

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC