Car seat behind stroller?

smackeen

I am not sure if this is the best place to put it or not.

I am trying to make my situation safer. I have a 2004 Montana and need to fit a double stroller in it along with three car seats. The only option that I have found is to out the stroller where the 2nd row drivers captain chair normally is. I know during a crash that this would fly into my son who is in third row.

Is there a way to tie the stroller down that would make it safer? There is absolutely no chance that the stroller would fit into what they call the trunk (hahaha) space.

ADS

Maggie

I have a 2003 Montana and have no problem fitting my monster Graco double (plus groceries) in the trunk? :confused:

Oh, wait, do you have a short version? I think the Montana's came in short and extended versions. I have the extended version. I've seen the short ones before and you're right, there is NO trunk space.

I'm not sure what to tell you about putting it in the van. You could somehow tie it down to the rungs where the seat goes, but I'm not sure what you could use that would be safe.

smackeen

It must be the short version as the trunk may be approx. 2 feet wide.

I was thinking bungee cords, but would the force of a collision cause them to fail? Hmmm... think I am going to need to go to a building store around here.

I am not sure if I could get a double stroller to actually fit in that space. If I was to get a new stroller I would need to order it online and then still not know if it would fit.

Joyofbirth

Maybe you could measure the space that you're working with and people could give you te measurements of strollers that might fit. We got a combi savvy twin sport when our second was born because we had a ford focus. I don't love it, but it works in small trunk spaces. Or possibly get an umbrella double stroller. I wouldn't leave it loose the way you have it. Not even bungeed.

emtb79

I was going to say instead of bungee cords how about tie downs that racket down if you really cant fit anything in the back. But Im with everyone else I would keep it in the cargo area.

I got Peg Perego Aria in my small space in the back of my Expedition that had less that 11 inches of clearance at the top of the seat back so it can be done.

InternationalMama

I was thinking bungee cords, but would the force of a collision cause them to fail?

Even if the cords fail they would slow down the movement/force of the stroller before they failed so they would at least do something positive, better than nothing. Someone here once recommended using LATCH straps from old seats to tie down luggage. :)

But I agree that I would carefully measure the space in your trunk and then post on the shopping section for advice on what might fit in that space.

skitle1802

I can fit my Graco Quattro Duo in the back of my DH's Chevy Aveo(Chevy's smallest sub compact)

Do you have a trailer hitch or get one? There are accessories to hold coolers/storage totes/strollers that hook into the trailer hitch. And then bungee/ratchet type tie down straps onto that.
ETA: Like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Valley-90180-Mounted-Basket-Folding/dp/B000RNY6Q4"]this.[/ame]

kattale

I would not use bungees, as they are designed to stretch and move. Perhaps luggage strapping, or even better, the rock-climbing webbing straps. We just tied a hammock to a tree with those and put two 200-pound people (and assorted children) in the hammock over 10 days - the knots got tight, but there was no stretch to the strapping.

I personally calculated measurements for my stroller, and for my newest van, to ensure I could fit everything. But if you are not dealing with infants, than the double-umbrella strollers are what I recommend to parents in our twin association for a portable solution. Many have large-wheel or bike-trailer-type strollers for home use, and the umbrella for in the car.

BTW - as a cool side-note, in the Dollar Store the other day, I saw a very cool in-line triple snap&go type stroller with three infant buckets on it. The owner said that it had seats as well for when they outgrew the buckets. Too cute. I must be the only baby-gear geek who was fascinated by the stroller, and then added, "oh, and your triplets are cute too," as an afterthought. *blush*

Jenny

the maclaren twins take up almost no space, they are comfortable for the kids and hold 55 lb a seat my five and six year olds can still sit comfortably in it (and I used in from newborn and 13 month old on up).
For example, At the cheesecake factory, one evening I folded that stroller up and placed it underneath the booth bench we were sitting on. I also brought it on NYC buses and subways easily.

I think your best bet is to buy a new stroller -- heck, I'd almost have another baby just so I can buy a new stroller -- consider your problem a great excuse :D

mydogteaser

I thought bungees were OK. That is how I have my stroller secured in the cargo area of my van. I have it held down with one bungee wrapped around the stroller and secured onto a loop attached to the side of the van.

rodentranger

Someone here once recommended using LATCH straps from old seats to tie down luggage. :)

That may have been me. I steal LATCH straps from seats at Garage Sales and Free Piles all the time before I scrap the seat! I have a big bag of them!

Anyway, I have a Pilot with a tiny cargo area behind the third row. I couldn't fit any double besides the Maclarens (which I wasn't happy with) and the Phil & Ted's Sport. If I left the wheels on it, I had to fold the split side, but with the wheels off, it fit fine.
P1010056.jpg

MoonRocket

If you need to strap it down I would get some cam straps. They sell them at REI or other outdoor stores
http://www.rei.com/product/672425
They are very easy to use as you just thread the loose end through the locking buckle and there is a release much like the harness loosening device on a car seat.
We have done some super burley 4WDing with kayaks held on the roof with these and they hold super well. They don't allow things to shift around like bungies do.
I keep a sack of them in different lengths in my car and have used them for all kinds of things.

BTW- they come in lots of different lengths, but I assumed for a stroller 6' would probably be best.

moiety

I have the [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KYKPBK/ref=oss_product]Mommy's Helper Stor-a-stroller[/ame] attached to the rear headrests in my PT Cruiser. It's two fairly simple adjustable straps with a connector that loops over a little button at the top of the strap. While it says umbrella-style only, it worked nicely with my Snap n Go frame and works with my Micralite Fastfold too.

Using LATCH straps for cargo stowage is a great idea. My car's tire change kit came with a long strap with cheapo-LATCH-type connectors on each end, designed to fit over the flat tire in the trunk and attach to the embedded d-rings there. I keep one end attached to the d-ring and attach the other end to my shopping cart to keep it from running away while I'm unloading it (especially the child in it.)

smackeen

I measured the 'trunk' space and at the smallest width it is 10 inches.

BUT... I did take the snack tray off the stroller, wedged a wheel a certain way and was able to close the door!!! For some reason that would not work before. The door did push on the stroller a little, but it fits and I am not worried now that it will hit my son.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. :)

jourdysmom

CPST Instructor
Is this the size of your Montana? Or is the back window shorter? I was able to remove the front wheels of a Graco Duoglider AND a Graco DuoQuattro and get them in just fine on the floor.

OR I turned them around and stood them up wheels facing out toward the back of the van and used a long bungee left to right to keep it from falling out when I opened the hatch. But again this is the extended wheelbase version. HTH

Last edited:

smackeen

My back window is half the size of yours.

I was able to get it into the 'trunk' space, but it needs to be just so to fit.

skipspin

It sounds like you got it figured out.
If you do end up looking for another stroller than fits I second the Phil and Teds. Mine fits in the back of my teeny Mazda5 (with all seats up) as long as I remove the two easy-release back wheels. It will jump out and attack you when you open the back if you do it wrong. LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC