When do you start booster training?

nevaehsmommy

My daughter is 4 years 2 months.

I am sick and have medical appts several times a month. This involves getting the car seat in and out of a cab or medical van. I have a true fit installed full time in my moms car. She rides in that 2-4 times a week. I would say that is the easiest to install of my seats FFing. Maybe I could put the regent in moms car and travel with the true fit.....trying to figure this out.

I think that traveling with a light weight booster would be easier than lugging a full size car seat. I have been putting the car seat in a wheel chair and lugging it around that way but then I do not have a free hand for Nevaeh...

I am wondering how do you go about booster training and what would be your bare minimums.

ADS

mydogteaser

Ds will be five in September. He is about 45 pounds and 43 inches tall. He just began booster training a month or so ago. Bare minimum for me is 4 years/40 pounds. Ds rides well in his booster for about 30 minutes and then begins slouching, leaning, etc. He, however, prefers to be harnessed.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
How much does she weigh?

I think that's actually an ideal way to booster train. With you sitting right next to her to make sure she stays in position!

nevaehsmommy

She fluctuates rapidly between 35-45#. She hovers *most* days at around 40# but has her other days.... She is 42 inches tall. Dead even with the second slot on the Regent.

nevaehsmommy

I have a 3-1 seat that she outgrew sometime ago. I remember hearing it makes a poor booster but do not recall why.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Because it puts the lap belt too high, causing internal injuries. In addition the belt goes from shell to shell, never touching the child. Nor does it go very high. It's about as bad as you can get. If that's the booster you're using, I'd lug a Regent on my back before using a three in one.

Wendy

Maedze

Because it puts the lap belt too high, causing internal injuries. In addition the belt goes from shell to shell, never touching the child. Nor does it go very high. It's about as bad as you can get. If that's the booster you're using, I'd lug a Regent on my back before using a three in one.

Wendy

:thumbsup:

I would be fine, OP, with using a booster in your situation, but absolutely do not use the 3-in-1 you have. Purchase a Graco Turbobooster. :)

nevaehsmommy

The Turbo was the one I was thinking of buying.They sell a cut(er) one at target.

There is no way right now for me to lug the regent. I can barely carry me right now.

My concern about boosters are that they seem so flimsy. The ones at target break in half. Are they just not put together right or are they really built that way. It does not seem safe.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Well, Turbos come apart later to be backlesses. You don't want them permanently attached. But coming apart is sometimes what they do. They'll work properly in a collision.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC