Question When buckling an empty booster

babyherder

should you lock the seatbelt? My seatbelts have regular mode and child seat mode. The child seat mode locks the lap portion of the belt. I always buckle my empty booster (right now mainly a vivo) but generally not in child seat mode cause I'm afraid I'll forget to switch it back to regular mode when a child uses the booster. However, the vivo is kind of heavy and my little bro sits in the back seat but not in the booster. If I don't lock the belt will the booster still fly around in a crash?

ADS

glockchick

Will the super light weight boosters - i.e. harmony literider, graco turbobooster - even apply enough force to lock the belt?

Or is it that if they don't, they won't be moving much anyway?

I'm already doing a degree in engineering. I wonder if they have a car seat engineering program. ;)

Pixels

Emergency locking retractors are either vehicle sensitive or webbing sensitive. If they are vehicle sensitive, they "sense" a rapid acceleration of the vehicle and lock. That doesn't have anything to do with the weight of the occupant. If they are webbing sensitive, they "sense" how fast the webbing is playing out. In a crash, everything keeps moving at the speed the car was going until something stops it. One of Newton's laws. In this case, it's the seatbelt that is going to stop the booster. The booster pulls the belt out just as quickly as an adult body would (since both are moving at the speed of the vehicle), and the belt locks just like it would on an adult.

babyherder

Thank you! I was thinking it was worried it was weight sensitive but I'm so glad its not. I :love: the car seat mode on my seatbelts for installing harnessed seats but was finding it really annoying for the unoccupied boosters.

Angela

I'm going to add another question to this... what about the ALR seatbelts? I always lock mine when I buckle the empty seat in. Does it matter?

Maedze

I'm going to add another question to this... what about the ALR seatbelts? I always lock mine when I buckle the empty seat in. Does it matter?

ALR seatbelts are what's being discussed (switchables). Pixel's covered the question :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC