Questions about tech course

MarathonMama

I'm [this] close to registering for the tech course, but I have some questions/concerns that are holding me back.

First of all, the course is only offered 2.5hrs+ from us which means hotel stay. In order for me to do it I have to take my entire family with me (baby is bf) and my DH has to take 2 days off of work (which is ok with everyone). The instructor has allowed me to bring my baby with me, but my DH will be close by to take him if he needs to ... which is a huge reason why I'm not wanting to just go with myself and baby and have DH and the girls at home. My reason for doing it now is purely because I'm on mat leave and he's small enough not to be a real pain if he's with me. If I wait, we're in to the winter and that's a whole other issue. This time of year my DH and kids can be tourists and enjoy the area.

1) is there a min requirement for clinics (etc) you have to do to keep current/certifiied?
2) how many people take the courses (will I be surrounded by 30 police/fire men)?
3) would you wait or do it now?

I rarely do anything for myself and I'm having a hard time not talking myself out of it because it's inconvenient for the whole family (which likely won't ever change).

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Are you in Canada? (Or Ontario, California?) The rules for keeping certified are quite different for CRST's and CPST's, so I could move this to the Canadian forum for you to get more accurate information if you want.

MarathonMama

I'm in Canada ... didn't think that it would matter for keeping certified (hence the q's), but if it does then go ahead and move it ;) Thanks!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I moved it, but put a long redirect so people can answer the general questions...like me! I say do it, it's a really awesome experience and I love being a tech. It IS so much easier when the baby's little, and it'll be kind of a weird fun family vacation, to boot :)

MonkeySauce

I say go for it. :) You have to recertify just every 3 years. I don't know about ON (I'm in NS) but when I took it, it was just a few people - 4 counting me. No police or fire, 2 SJA people and one person doing it who worked with new moms through her work.

My instructor was super nice too. It was very low-stress, and I never knew I could have so much fun doing a car seat clinic.;) I took it just to be more knowledgeable for my own purposes and to be able to advocate better for car seat safety, but since I took it I'm so jazzed to do more clinics and stuff. :)

dragonfly8

I say go for it. Babe is young enough to take with you.
When I took my course, we were a group of I"d say 20? Maybe a few more? But, I was the only one there that was there on my own will. The rest were all there due to their workplace sending them. Paramedics, some family services people, some aboriginal mom's place employee's, and a few tech instructors in training..........
I will say though, I received the highest exam mark in the class, which I'm quite proud of. I think wanting to be there makes a huge difference.......

LittlePeanut

Do it. I did it when DS2 was 6 months old and EBF. DH was handy with DS1 and took DS2 as needed or brought him to me when he needed feeding or mama time.

Are you certain you closest training is 2.5 hour away? Where are you located in ON? I know some recently certified techs in London who were able to arrange for a "private" class of about 8-10. They then later found out they could have done it for free through the co-operaters (I think). PurpleCat should be able to clarify.

MarathonMama

Do it. I did it when DS2 was 6 months old and EBF. DH was handy with DS1 and took DS2 as needed or brought him to me when he needed feeding or mama time.

Are you certain you closest training is 2.5 hour away? Where are you located in ON? I know some recently certified techs in London who were able to arrange for a "private" class of about 8-10. They then later found out they could have done it for free through the co-operaters (I think). PurpleCat should be able to clarify.

As far as I can tell, only Mississauga offers the course ... and I'm 2.5+hrs north of there ;) I'll pm you!

Good to know others have done it with young babies!

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Mississauga isn't the only place to offer the course, but it is one of the most active locales. You'll likely have OPP and Peel officers in there, with some moms, and other professionals.

Since I can see where you live (I pulled up a map, too).. I totally understand why you might not have a course in your area. It's possible, but it may be a bit of a waiting game to get one. Have you called your local SJA office?

1) is there a min requirement for clinics (etc) you have to do to keep current/certifiied?
Sort of. There is, but it's really your responsibility to stay current. You should be doing at least 10 checks a year, but in some cases this just isn't possible. If you're here on the forums, and you're staying current with information, plus you have friends/family/and your own seats, I personally consider that sufficiently "staying current". Just be ready to prove you're staying on top of things. After three years, you go through the renewal process and part of that should be (I think it happens in Ont?) supervision on a specific set of seat checks. Your best bet would be to go back to a Mississauga clinic for that, if not at least once yearly to check in with your instructor and get some insured checks done.

2) how many people take the courses (will I be surrounded by 30 police/fire men)?
Anywhere from 4-30. I can't imagine anyone running with under 4 or over 30 (even with lots of instructors).. Don't worry about the OPP Cadets--they're good to look at.

If you think it's now or never..then now.

-N.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
I also say do it! I don't think you will regret it!

I took my course this spring in Mississauga. No police/fire men in my class.:( Mostly TRU employees, a mechanic and another interested parent like myself. Maybe 14 of us. You will not be made to feel out of place AT.ALL.

One thing about the location though is that it is in a residential area with a school located nearby. We were advised to bring our lunch with us and snacks for breaks. The time it took to go buy food takes up you whole break.

Last edited:

QuassEE

Good point about the food. There's really nothing around. You could drive down to the waterfront but by the time you get there (lots of lights and cars) and receive food, it would be time to head back to start class again. There may also be times where you need to work through lunch a bit. There is a gas station on the corner at Hurontario, before you enter the residential area for drinks and misc, though.

Tam's more familiar with the area, since that's her home turf :) It's the Windy Oaks location, btw.

Trudy and I stayed at a residence inn type place at the Port. The Waterside Inn. It's a bit like an apartment, with a full kitchen and livingroom. It was also fairly inexpensive. Probably a better way to stay sane with a baby and to reduce costs by making your own food. There's a grocery store a few blocks away.

-Nicole.

MarathonMama

Mississauga isn't the only place to offer the course, but it is one of the most active locales. You'll likely have OPP and Peel officers in there, with some moms, and other professionals.

Since I can see where you live (I pulled up a map, too).. I totally understand why you might not have a course in your area. It's possible, but it may be a bit of a waiting game to get one. Have you called your local SJA office?

Sort of. There is, but it's really your responsibility to stay current. You should be doing at least 10 checks a year, but in some cases this just isn't possible. If you're here on the forums, and you're staying current with information, plus you have friends/family/and your own seats, I personally consider that sufficiently "staying current". Just be ready to prove you're staying on top of things. After three years, you go through the renewal process and part of that should be (I think it happens in Ont?) supervision on a specific set of seat checks. Your best bet would be to go back to a Mississauga clinic for that, if not at least once yearly to check in with your instructor and get some insured checks done.

Anywhere from 4-30. I can't imagine anyone running with under 4 or over 30 (even with lots of instructors).. Don't worry about the OPP Cadets--they're good to look at.

If you think it's now or never..then now.

-N.

Are you stalking me? :whistle: JK - I know you have the special powers ;)

I think you should just make another trip out this way ... it's realllllly beautiful where I am in the fall :thumbsup:

Do the 10 checks per year count as large checks/clinics or individual checks (for a total of at least 10 per year)?

Thanks for the recommendation for accomodations! I'll look into that. The lady at sja did give me some places to check out and mention the lack of food in the area. She also said 18ppl max ... hoping for some cadets, though ;)

Mingie: thanks for the encouragement! I'm really worried about feeling out of place and I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be that way!

QuassEE

The 10 a year can pretty much be any checks--just keep a folder with them stored. It's mostly for people who aren't staying as current and there would be concerns about them getting out of practice. It's not really as much of an issue for parents who're staying current on here. I've never known anyone to be officially audited, but as far as I'm aware each instructor is responsible for the students they certify.

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC