hello its me again. Would a 3 yr old 36 inch 30 lb fit in a myride?

kayleesmom

Hello all. its me again. we werent lent a temporary carseat for my daughter. But i am soo not loving it. She fell asleep in it today and her head when forward and to the side.

So I am like what do i do next. I know my son is gonna need a carseat in feb. when his expires so do I get him a my ride 65. and give the britax to my 3 yr old till it expires? and then go from there with her. or do I put her in the my ride and leave him in britax he is 23 lbs and 18 months. How much room? or do i go with a different seat for him. I am returning the two nautiluses tommorow that we bought. and the straps for regent that we have in basement will be here monday. O another thing. we have a honda odessey 2006. so the back row only has latches in middle. so is that where I have to put the Britax regent and tether from top? Or does it fit better to use seat belt and tether? opinions. Hubby def doesnt like the latches on lent seat cause they are totally not like the ones on a britax. I mean what age would you think he would out grow the my ride? he is also cloth diapered so the buckle on the marathon is not easy to buckle with the diapers. does the my ride have 2 positions? I know I am driving you all crazy. I missed the carseats that were on clearance at kmart. they didnt have any left:(. is the best bet to get a my ride at bru with 20 percent off or go with a titan. or what.

ADS

Mom2FiveGirls

The MR does not have 2 crotch buckle positions, but we cloth diaper and I didn't have a problem buckling DD#5 in. She is 37 inches and 30 lbs now and she still fits with room to grow. I can post pics if you'd like. Do you know your DD's torso height? I haven't measured Ella's recently, but I can measure it for you if that would help :)

jess71903

Ambassador
I'm confused. Why are you returning both Nautiluses? I thought you were going to keep 1 for the 3 year old and then replace the Marathon when it expires. I just don't see the MyRide as being useful long-term for anyone but the baby. The most economical plan would be to harness the oldest in the Regent (installed anywhere with a top tether), put the 3 year old in a Nautilus (or a Maestro if you don't want to keep the Nauti), and the baby in the Marathon until Feb, at which point you can re-evaluate what seats are out at that point and what would work best for you.

NannyMom

Are you putting the 3 year old rear facing? My daughter is 3.10yrs, 31 pounds, 38 inches. She is rear facing in the My Ride with a couple inches to grow.

kayleesmom

i dont know 3 yr torso how do i find that? so i should look at maestro? for 3 yr old. and then pass down to baby? in feb. and see where to go from there. I hate the head slump idea in the nautilus.

NicoleCPST

Senior Community Member
Have to tried the Nautilus to see if they even have a headslump issue? All of this could be a moot point if it installs well in your vehicle with enough recline. Many kids don't have headslump issues and most love the Nautilus.

The Maestro wont work for your youngest, it is a FF only seat.

To measure torso height- sit your 3yo on the floor back to a wall. measure from the floor to the tops of his shoulders. That is torso height. FWIW my 2.5yo DD is 36', 33lbs and RFing in a Myride. But if you arent going to RF then its not really the best seat for you. You'd be ebtter served with a higher weight harnessing seat.

Last edited:

NannyMom

Have to tried the Nautilus to see if they even have a headslump issue? All of this could be a moot point if it installs well in your vehicle with enough recline. Many kids don't have headslump issues and most love the Nautilus.

The Maestro wont work for your youngest, it is a FF only seat.

To measure torso height- sit your 3yo on the floor back to a wall. measure from the floor to the tops of his shoulders. That is torso height. FWIW my 2.5yo DD is 36', 33lbs and RFing in a Myride. But if you arent going to RF then its not really the best seat for you. You'd be ebtter served with a higher weight harnessing seat.

What about the NEW 50lb harnessing Chase? What the consensus on that one?

The 50LB chase is a mistake. It is really only 40LB.

jess71903

Ambassador
I really think you're too hung up on the possible head slump. It's not a safety concern and 9 times out of 10, it's not a comfort concern, either. There was a whole thread recently with pictures of kids sleeping comfortably in the Nautilus. I really think the Nautilus would be the best fit for your situation.

The baby needs to remain rear-facing, even after February, so I would plan on returning 1 Nauti and setting that money asside for a new convertible when the Marathon expires. A MyRide would be a great choice for then, assuming there's not a new latest-greatest seat out by then.

Mom2FiveGirls

We have 2 nautilus'. DD#3 was in one up until a few days ago (she's in a TB now and doing great!). She had no issues with head slump. We moved her nautilus to DH's car for DD#4 to ride in when she rides with him. She is in a nautilus in my truck as well. In my truck, she does have head slump, but she has never once complained about it. It looks like she'd be uncomfortable and it bothers me, but it doesn't bother her (I've asked several times). I finally convinced myself that if it isn't bothering her, it shouldn't bother me enough to go buy a different seat. In the nautilus in DH's car she has no head slump issues. It all depends on the child and the vehicle the seat is installed in.

While DD#5 fits RFing in the MR, I wouldn't buy one for her at this point (3 years, 37 inches, 30 lbs). I don't think I'd get my money's worth. And I'm ok with her FFing now (she does in DH's car), but she prefers RFing and we have a seat that will allow her to do so. I wouldn't buy a seat just for RFing her for a few more months at this point. If I needed a new seat for her right now, I'd definitely go with a FFing only option.

I guess if you wanted to you could get a MR now, let your DD use it until February and then pass it to your DS then get something new for DD then? I'm kinda confused...lol. It doesn't take much these days :)

monstah

Look at this thread full of kids sleeping in the Nautilus. My son isn't pictured but he slept like a baby in his and I find it unfortunate you are so turned off by the Nautilus due to a few complaints when there are hundreds of kids sleeping comfortable in theirs.
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=133756 Head slump is not a safety issue. The only person normally bothered by it is mom or dad, kids don't seem to care.

You don't need to pass your 3 year olds seat to your baby. That would give you less seat and cost more $. Your solution is quite simple.
-Oldest in Regent until it expires or is outgrown whichever comes first.
-Middle child in Nautilus you already own because it last a really long time, switches to a high back and low back booster. You aren't going to find another seat for him more perfect for your needs and budget.
-Youngest stays in the Marathon and moves into a new rear facing seat when the Marathon expires.

If you insist on returning the Nautilus's, other choices that could work for your 3 year old are 1. The Frontier 85. It will last longer than the Nautilus but costs twice as much. It also makes a great high back booster when the harness is outgrown. Or 2. An Evenflo Maestro but the Maestro doesn't last nearly as long as the Nautilus harnessed and makes a lousy booster which is outgrown almost at the same time as the harness is. And honestly, headslump is more likely in the Maestro since it sits so upright and doesn't have a recline option.

ETA: A picture of my son sleeping at 3 years old. - ETA: I thought he was 3 in this picture but it was taken during vacation July 2008 so he was still only 2. :eek:

Last edited:

monstah

we have a honda odessey 2006. so the back row only has latches in middle. so is that where I have to put the Britax regent and tether from top? Or does it fit better to use seat belt and tether? opinions. Hubby def doesnt like the latches on lent seat cause they are totally not like the ones on a britax

Bolded - If you are referring to the expired Century seat, please cut the straps and cover and write "expired" & "unsafe" all over it in permanent marker and throw it out or recycle it. It is dangerous, and possibly illegal, if your state has a proper use clause.

I dont have a LATCH manual but I am sure someone will chime in on the top tether information. Her oldest is 52 pounds (from another thread).

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hondas have a lower LATCH anchor installation weight limits of 40 lbs., so for a child weighing 52 lbs. it would be necessary to do a seatbelt installation rather than a lower LATCH anchor installation. All Regents require use of the top tether for kids at 50 lbs. and up, and at 40 lbs. and up if it's a post-advisory Regent made after approx. June 18, 2007 and installed using the short belt path seatbelt installation method. (Seatbelt installation methods of post-advisory Regents are specified according to the child's weight - under 40 lbs., use the long belt path method, and 40 lbs. and over, use the short belt path method). Plus it's highly recommended to use the top tether at any weight for any forward facing harnessed carseat installation to reduce head excursion.

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
You could get the baby a new seat now and let your 3yo use the MA till it expires. The My Ride is o.k. but I'm partial to the Radian personally. Ilana is almost 4 and has maybe an inch left height wise in the seat.

Blondie87

I haven't read this whole thread, so there may be better options.. such as the Nautilus. But I wanted to share a couple pictures of my neighbors 4 year old that is almost the same exact size as your 3 year old DD in the MyRide. She fits great and loves it! She is normally rear facing in a Radian XT though.

9ae76d58.jpg

3bb9b0b3.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC