Would you write the sheriff?

luvsviola

This was posted on my local sheriff's website as travel tips. It states that all children 4-8 must be in a booster. I'm trying to decide if it is worth writing to ask him to change the wording, or if the fact that he is pushing boosters instead of seatbelts is admirable and should be left alone. And apparently carseats aren't required for kids under one year...:confused:

"Sheriff Ken Campbell and the Boone County Traffic Safety Partnership would like to remind everyone of Indiana state laws to keep the Fair patrons safe while traveling to and from the Boone County Fair this year.
Seatbelts and car seats:

All persons in any vehicle must wear there seatbelt while traveling on Indiana roadways. There are few exceptions.

All children under the age of 8 year and 80 pounds must be in a child restraint. It is also necessary for these children to be 4 foot 9 inches.

Children between 40 and 80 pounds, ages 4 and 8 years must be in a booster seat.

All children between 1 year and 4 years old must be in a car seat.

For more information on child passenger safety seat laws please contact Deputy Sean J. Kutz with the Boone County Sheriff's Office, Julie with the Boone County Health Department or Lebanon Fire Department station 2."

ADS

Pixels

"All children under the age of 8 year and 80 pounds must be in a child restraint. It is also necessary for these children to be 4 foot 9 inches."

All children must be 4' 9"? Weird.

Indiana law does not make any distinguishment between a child over age four and a child under age four. The law says that all children under age 8 must be in a child restraint.

Yes, I think it's worth a letter.

pj2rc

I think the 4'9" reference means, even if your child is 8+, if he are not 4'9", they must still be in a booster. Sounds like h Sheriff is doing a good job, most probably wouldn't bother or be as aware, but if your stated doesn't differentiate between wha type of car seat for under 8, then maybe just a quick note saying how much you appreciate his diligence, bu that you noticed xyz. (apparently in PA it is illegal for me t have my 4-8 yr old in a harness if they are over 40 lbs - so here his statement would be correct)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I usually save my letters for very egregious misinformation. What you posted is sort of off, but not overly horrible. So, no, I wouldn't write anything in that case, but I certainly wouldn't try to stop you from doing so.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC