Fitting 3 seats in Mercedes GLK? /Moved from Re: Britax Boulevard Forward-Facing Shoulder Belt install- Must tether?

A

alliekporter

I have a mercedes GLK with a graco infant seat rear facing for my 8mo boy and a britax marathon for my 3yo son front facing however with the bucket seats in this car i now need to have 3 seats in the back is this possible - which seats will fit - sunshine radians??????????????? My son will be 4 in Jan and baby one in dec but i need a third seat for carpools for my 3.5 year olds friends to and from school any advice would be appreciated for this small back seat.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You'll need something rear facing for the baby when the infant seat is outgrown. I'd probably pass down the Marathon and get the three year old a Nautilus, Maestro, or Frontier. Which is not what you asked, but it kind of plays into it.

What I'd do for the odd carpool kid is get a Ride Safer Travel Vest. Then either put the carpool child in your three year old's seat and put your child in the RSTV, or the other way around. That should fit between two seats for your kids without too much trouble.

Another option is a few Radians, that would likely work. Maybe even just two Radians, one rear facing outboard for the baby, one forward facing in the middle, and the Marathon forward facing outboard on the other side. The Radian and Marathon puzzle well together in the same direction, and take up less space than the sum of their widths.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Just a quick question because we have two kids and are looking at the GLK. Consumer Reports seemed to indicate it was hard to get a good fit in the GLK securing car seats - even with latch. Is this true? We have a Britax Marathon and a Britax Frontier and I am concerned about getting them tight. The Frontier is now past the 40# limit and needs to be secured with belts. Since you have a GLK where you comfortable with the fit you got with the seats you have?

To answer your question.. I definitely don't think another seat would fit with those two if you choose to go with a Frontier. We couldn't fit another seat or person between our two in our accord and the GLK didn't seem much wider to me. The Frontier is very wide and it sits lower on the seat than the marathon so it seems to take up more room.

jewels2b

I know this is an old topic but I've just started seaching options for my GLK 350. That is the car you were discussing right? I have the Marathon FF and Graco Snugride RFing and there is no way to fit even an older child in the center seat with these two car seats in the car. Were you able to figure something out. I have a newborn and a 3 year old and would love to be able to have an 3 child in the backseat for carpools just as you mentioned. There is no way to put a seat in the center position rear facing. I do own 2 radians but I don't think they would fit in the side and center seat with the graco snugride in the other side seat.

Just wondering what you may have figured out.

Thanks, Julie

tl01

Just a quick question because we have two kids and are looking at the GLK. Consumer Reports seemed to indicate it was hard to get a good fit in the GLK securing car seats - even with latch. Is this true? We have a Britax Marathon and a Britax Frontier and I am concerned about getting them tight. The Frontier is now past the 40# limit and needs to be secured with belts. Since you have a GLK where you comfortable with the fit you got with the seats you have?

To answer your question.. I definitely don't think another seat would fit with those two if you choose to go with a Frontier. We couldn't fit another seat or person between our two in our accord and the GLK didn't seem much wider to me. The Frontier is very wide and it sits lower on the seat than the marathon so it seems to take up more room.

I haven't had a problem installing seats in the GLK. I had one as a rental recently. I installed my Frontier 80 just fine outboard. I also installed a KeyFit infant seat without issue. The Frontier was installed with the belt and the infant seat with LATCH. I don't think the GLK was a problem at all. I install the Frontier using the long belt path as explained in the Frontier manual. I don't think I could have gotten another seat in between

I have also installed a Radian forward facing in the the GLK.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC