I opened an onside air and compaired it to scenera at kmart today

figure it is the least I can do since I do not know what the heck happened to mine. lol

So Yes the on side air is a scenera.. same seat, no eps foam, same exact shell, Same seat, but it looks like they went and taped foam to either side of the shell. I was not impressed at all honestly.
I feel like I paid 90 bucks for a lost scenera with foam on the sides lol

So I am planing to return mine if it is ever found.. I wish I had brought the camera in with me but I forgot it and just played with out it.

So who ever said it was a different shell from the scenera was DEAD wrong. it is the exact same shell lol and even same seat. same recline foot thing and everything. I think I will return mine and get a 40 lb scenera instead lol

Last edited:
ADS

ericarizo

Yeah, I saw one on Sunday and had posted about it being the same as the Scenera with those added little circles of foam things. I was not impressed and will not pay 90.00 for a Scenera with a new cover and foam things.

Brycen'sMommy

I saw an Onside Air at Kmart last night too. I was definitely not impressed. No EPS foam and the cover was barely more padded than the Scenera. I think it is way overpriced at $100. I'm disappointed because this was going to be DD2's seat in DH's car. Now I might as well buy a 40 lbs RF Scenera because it's basically the same and much cheaper. :thumbsdown:

ETA: The Onside Air was sitting next to an Evenflo Tribute and the Tribute seemed so much nicer in comparison. The cover was more padded, it had EPS foam, 4 harness positions, it RF to 35 lbs and it was only $59. I might buy that for DH's car instead.

Last edited:

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Isn't it based on the Avenue though, not the Scenera? The Avenue is slightly taller than the Scenera, but has the same basic shell shape and recline foot. I didn't think any of the Air stuff had the EPP foam in it?

Brycen'sMommy

Isn't it based on the Avenue though, not the Scenera? The Avenue is slightly taller than the Scenera, but has the same basic shell shape and recline foot. I didn't think any of the Air stuff had the EPP foam in it?

It is definitely a Scenera, not an Avenue.
Go here and click on 360 degree tour. Spin it to the side and you can see that it is a Scenera.

NannyMom

It was Dorel CS that said it was different than a Scenera. I didn't have high hopes though.

I plan to go to Kmart tonight, I think I have my camera and tape measure in my purse.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
well now, I think people are being a tad unfair because their expectations were not met, but in reality, we have been saying for a long time that a scenera with EPP/S foam would be a valued addition to the market. Well, that's basically what this is, except they used their new trademarked air cushions instead of EPP/S foam.
$99 might not be the $60 or 70 "scenera with EPP foam" seat some people had hoped for, but it's still one of the cheaper seats on the market, and is a great seat for what it is. It is now priced on par with the titan, and is a better seat that the titan in both weight and height limits. It's a tad more than than the tribute or CS, but again, has higher weight and/or height limits. It seems perfectly priced for me.

As i see it, now the , $100 options are.

Regular Scenera 35/40/16 inches/no foam $45

40 lb RF scenera, 40/40/16 /no foam $55

Tribute 35/40/14?/foam $60

CS 30/40/14?/foam $80+

Avenue 35/40/16/foam $80

Titan Elite 35/50/15/foam $99

Onside air 40/40/16/aircushions $99

So as you can see, each option has something the others dont. There are basically 3 features you want, the higher weight limits, the higher slots and the EPP/S foam or air cushions. For the purposes of this discussion "higher slots" means about the 16 of the scenera/avenue/OA versus the 14ish of the CS or tribute.

Barebones scenera is the cheapest. Has the higher slots, but no high RF limit or foam.
$10 more gets you the 40lbRF limit in the 40 lb RF scenera, has the same slots, still no foam.
$15 more gets you the foam in the tribute, but the tradeoff is significantly lower harness slots, and the standard 35 lb RF limit.
There is no advantage to the CS, period. IT has the lowest limits in height and weight, and a higher price. It does have epp foam and..uh..cute covers?
$35 more gets you an avenue, which has the foam, and the higher slots, but the standard 35 lb RFing limit. *probably the best value still*
$55 more gets you the Titan, which has the standard 35 lb RF limit, an expanded 50 lb FF limit(unrealistic), with middling slots and EPP/S foam
or the the onside air, which has all 3 features - 40-lb RF, higher slots, and foam/aircushions.

The OA is now the lowest priced seat that offers reasonable slots, a 40-lb RF limit, and some form of side impact protection beyond a harness, in the form of some foamy air cushion things. However, the shell height means that most of the seats here aren't truly usable as 40-lb RFing seats anyway except for a certain body type of child.

But anyway...those are the under $100 options, outside of sales or clearances, and I think for the most part, there is a decent selection. If we remember that the average parent probably has, at best, the 2 year RFing goal that is the standard AAP recommendation, any of these seats will do to meet that goal, and the MAestro is still probably going to outsell all of these because most parents are looking to FF their kid anyway by 12-24 months.

InternationalMama

So as you can see, each option has something the others dont. There are basically 3 features you want, the higher weight limit, the heigher slots and the EPP/S foam or air cushions. For the purposes of this discussion "higher slots" means about the 16 of the scenera/avenue/OA versus the 14ish of the CS or tribute.

There is also a 4th feature: shell height. I'd take the Avenue's lower weight limit with a taller shell and a $20 less price tag over the $99 On Side with a 40 lbs limit.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
There is also a 4th feature: shell height. I'd take the Avenue's lower weight limit with a taller shell and a $20 less price tag over the $99 On Side with a 40 lbs limit.

No you are right. That should be added. I don't have those heights off the top of my head though :)

I thin the avenue is the tallest by like an inch right?

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
I found for us the top slots were about an inch higher on the Avenue over a Scenera and the shell was about an inch taller as well.

christineka

If most kids outgrow the scenera ff before 40 pounds, then how is it so much better with a 40 pound rfing limit?

The evenflo tribute's top slots are about.5 inches below the scenera's. (Not what I'd call "significant") I'd take a $55 tribute with eps foam over a $99 scenera with air cushions any day. The tribute installs a lot easier imo as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC