School me on ISOFIX

BananaBoat

I know nothing about ISOFIX other than it's similar to LATCH.

How similar?
Can I use LATCH connectors from a US seat on ISOFIX anchors?

I'm thinking specifically an XTSL in an unknown European rental in hopes that it will have ISOFIX so I don't have to kill myself trying to install with a locking clip.

HELP!!!

ADS

BananaBoat

So they are interchangeable?

Does anyone know what EU vehicles typically have ISOFIX?
What years or brands or how is it regulated?

mykidsmylife

Some vehicles do have the top tether available. ;)
We had a 2008 rental when we moved here and it had ISOFIX. I am not sure as to when they started using it though.

Adventuredad

Isofix is compatible with LATCH but it's quite a different technical solution. Isofix is rigid which most find a little easier to use. Isofix for rear facing car seats in Europe also use a support leg, or foot prop, for increased stability. It's considered a slightly better technical solution than LATCH.

Benefits of using Isofix are safe and easy installation. It's done in seconds. Drawbacks are higher price, due to currently lower volumes, and also the low 40 lbs weigh limit. Max Isofix RF limit is 40 lbs , Isofix is also used in some of our high back booster seats up to 36 kg (80 lbs)

Isofix was invented by the Swedes almost 20 years ago. The curent 40 lbs limit will be increased in the future, unclear exactly when. The new limit will likely be 50 lbs. It's currently being discussed.

While 40 lbs is a very high, or higher than what's available, RF limit is seen as quite low in Sweden since we strongly recommend rar facing until age 4. Some kids are skinny and will easily make it with 40 lbs while others have to be turned way too early.

Isofix was mandated in all EU cars in 2004 although I believe some don't have the connectors but are "prepared" for installation. Installing Isofix connectors in these cars is a 5-minute job. Some brands, such as VW, have had Isofix as standard way before 2004.

Isofix connectors can be found in back seat and also in the front seat since airbags can be turned off manually. Reason for Isofix in front seat is that it's just as safe, or safer, compared to rear seat.

BananaBoat

Max Isofix RF limit is 40 lbs , Isofix is also used in some of our high back booster seats up to 36 kg (80 lbs)
<snip>
Isofix was mandated in all EU cars in 2004 although I believe some don't have the connectors but are "prepared" for installation. Installing Isofix connectors in these cars is a 5-minute job. Some brands, such as VW, have had Isofix as standard way before 2004.

Is the 40 lbs limit the weight of the seat+child or just the weight of the child?

I'm specifically hoping for information about ISOFIX in a Fiat Punto (year unknown, trying to find out) & an Opel Astra (likely post 2004). Rental is in Croatia, so not exactly EU yet, but imports from EU.

Adventuredad

The 40 lbs weight limit is for your child. As mentioned this does not apply for HBB.

Fiat Punto is a small car and XTSL does often need a lot of room. Normally not a good combination.......:whistle:

Let me know if you have more info and we'll figure out the Isofix situation.

BananaBoat

The 40 lbs weight limit is for your child. As mentioned this does not apply for HBB.

Fiat Punto is a small car and XTSL does often need a lot of room. Normally not a good combination.......:whistle:

Let me know if you have more info and we'll figure out the Isofix situation.

Thanks for the weight limit clarification.

I know that the Punto is teeny. And, I know that the XTSL doesn't fit in my Subaru Forester AT ALL. Which makes me insanely nervous about even considering bring the XTSL, since the Punto must be used for 4 days of our trip.
The whole story is here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=136215

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC