Question Is the new generation of Britax Convertables worth the wait?

mam521

I'm just wondering if the new generation of Britax convertables is worth the wait. I LOVE my Britax seats (this after owning a number of others) and the improvements look like they are worth it, but I want to know if any of the CPST's have seen any of the stats on them and what their thoughts are.

ADS

canadiangie

I don't think any of us really know. And even when they do come out I'm certain reviews will be mixed. The bar has been set pretty high by some other manufacturers lately. The hefty price tag and shorter shell will no doubt be a negative factor. But the ease of install, rebound management, and higher rear facing weight limit might be enough to bring some of us back to Britax. We shall see...

mam521

I hope they aren't a bunch of hype. I know certain standards on my current seats leave me feeling spoiled. The built in lock offs are one and I like the v-tether. I hate struggling with the t-clip (welcome to my Nautilus in our old car :( )

I suppose I don't quite understand a shorter shell with a higher top harness height and a supposed weight increase (70lbs for the Boulevard/Advocate, correct?) Oh well, maybe I can score some nice covers for my current seats at blowout prices :) while they introduce the redesign.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The maximum ff'ing weight limit on the seats will be 65lbs in Canada since that is the top weight allowed by CMVSS 213.

I believe getting the 40lb rf'ing weight limit will make the seats worth the wait. I currently steer people away from all except the Advocate due to the abysmal 30lb rf'ing limit on the other seats.

Depending on the age/size/stage of your children, you may want to consider a Frontier XT if you won't have need of the rf'ing capacity and want to stick with Britax.

mam521

My daugther is currently in a Boulevard and a Frontier with us and a Nautilus at dayhome. My little guy isn't going to make it past..mmm...I'm gonna guess the 6 month mark in his bucket because I won't be able to haul him around at the rate he's growing. The plan is to snag Boulevard from our daughter, put her into another Frontier and put lil fat man into the Boulevard and we have a Roundabout for the other vehicle. But, when I go back to work in May, dayhome will also need another carseat (we are a rediculous family...6 carseats?!?!?).

The fight will be on then because I'll still want him rear facing and I don't know if the dayhome lady will be that responsive. Really, I don't care. I can't replace my kid and driving is the biggest risk we take every day. I want my kids safe. As it is, I got mad because we recently replaced a nearly expired Alpha Omega with the Nautilus and until not long ago, her carseat install for my daughter was fine (LATCH in 2nd row bucket seat). But she moved her to the back row, passenger side outboard position in the van and doesn't have a dedicated tether to that location AND she wasn't using a t-clip. I wish more carseats had a built in lock offs because I know the t-clip is a pain in the butt, but its a necessity. Hopefully it will be easier to convince her to use the little guy's seat properly because she'll end up with one of the Britax ones. Why don't jurisdictions do more random carseat checks for installation when its a known fact that majority of carseats aren't installed correctly? I sometimes think I should become a CPST and have the training to back the preaching! Now that I've totally gone off topic...LOL!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
hehe Stick around. Six carseats for two kids is nothing. I've got....six for two kids, and we have just two cars (two seats rarely get used). The most I've had is 14, and that's when I had one kid.

The Nautilus Elite, if it's available in Canada, has lockoffs built in. Then you wouldn't need to use a locking clip. If it's available up there. I don't know.

Wendy

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I suspect that the dayhome lady's vehicle has locking seatbelts, and just doesn't know it. What does she drive?

-Nicole.

njmommy

i know nothing about them but i have tall kids so that 5lbs difference probably wont be useful to me anyway. i chose to take advabtage of the sales & get a blvd cs now

kristy121

The maximum ff'ing weight limit on the seats will be 65lbs in Canada since that is the top weight allowed by CMVSS 213.

I believe getting the 40lb rf'ing weight limit will make the seats worth the wait. I currently steer people away from all except the Advocate due to the abysmal 30lb rf'ing limit on the other seats.

Depending on the age/size/stage of your children, you may want to consider a Frontier XT if you won't have need of the rf'ing capacity and want to stick with Britax.

Isnt the Blvd 35lbs? I was sure it was, Guess I better double check this tomorrow:eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC