do you think the new britax seats

myztic

Will live up to everyones expectations as a revolutionary new seat? With extra safety features?
Till what age do you think a child can comfortably rear face in one? Short child. I'm probably gonna go for the radian but I don't want to have a moment where I say ugh I should have just waited... Do you think it will totally beat out the radian xtsl?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Revolutionary new seat? No, I don't think it will be.

I think people who like Britaxes will like the new seat.

I think people who don't like Britaxes will not change their minds.

I would *much* rather have an XTSL than a new Britax. That's a personal choice, though, and not one anyone else can make for you.

firemomof3

:yeahthat:
I think they'll be better than the "classic" and I really like the steel reinforcement, easy height adjustment and hopefully this new safe cell tech. will better their head excursion numbers (Britax claims it will).
But like pp said, I'd rather have a Radian, they are just so yummy :love:

Jocey'sMommy

there are people who love and hate Britax's and there are people who love and hate Radians. I really really really really really wanted to LOVE the radian but at the end of the day I will take my easy as pie to install Britax seats lol My little one is small enough to still RF in the Marathon and RA50 at 3 1/2 and still has plenty of growing room for height and weight so luckily I don't NEED a radian but people with heavy and/or very tall kids do for safe practice so Radians are needed and are good seats if you need one. I am very glad that Britax will be improving their seats with a RFing weight limit increase though, I know most kids weigh more than mine does and outside of very tall kids I do think it will keep most kids RFing to atleast 3-4 instead of 2-3(at least that is my hope)

simplychels

I quite frankly don't even give much of a hoot about any of the extra new features its going to have. I'm strickly after the higher rf'ing weight limit :D So yeah it definitely will meet my expectations!

canadiangie

I just need something that rf's past 35lbs, that installs freaking upright in my vehicle, that does not have a continuous loop harness, that offers rebound management, that has a tall enough shell for my kids to get to age 4-5 rf. If the new Britax line-up can give me all of those things then I will be THRILLED.

twinkletoes

I've heard the shell is shorter? but I am holding out that it may not be shorter once installed?

I had the 33lb rf Britax.. so gutted that we didn't make it to 6 rf :( 6 Is my Ideal age and at 6 my dd is only 34lbs sigh... (we made it to 4 rf as I was scared to go above 32lbs.. (not knowing when she will put on that extra pound or so) with this new seat (or even the past seat) we would have made it to 6.

I used to LOVE the colours of Britax, the new colours look blah.

Intalls was super easy with a Britax, not sure why other seats are not so easy to install...

I purchased a cosco scenera (suggested here back in 05) however, when I travelled with it I couldn't get it to rf in the taxi cab or mini cooper :(.. dd was 19 months and about 17lbs :eek: I had to FF :mad: I wouldn't have had that problem if I had a britax.. but we didn't have the funds for one at the time and we barley used a seat (no car).. so it made perfect sense to buy the Cosco Scenera at the time..until we could afford a britax with the taller shell... (so we could def. rf for as long as possible) but had I known you need pool noodles and need to carry them around with you whilst traveling (and imagine putting it into a taxi car in NYC, those drivers are NOT patient)... Britax has it's uses... but it would be DREAMY if they just brought out the same models that they sell for the swedish market!!!! done deal then :love: - but those seats are not suitable from birth (even though the Britax seats here barely fit newborns) they claim they are from 5lbs.. we would rather see a bigger seat suitable once they have outgrown their bucket (Swedes buy buckets so they can see how their children grow, and then take it from there to what rf seat would best fit their child and car)

I've yet to play with a Radian... I avoided it back in 07 when I brought our Britax Blvd. because it was said to be awkward to install in some cars.. it had a 35lb rf limit then too (I believe).. either way, the blvd was our best choice at the time for our tiny 2.5 year old. I also wanted the head wings as I had the companion since birth (and this seats had the tallest shell/weight limit at the time) so much more to choose from nowadays :love:

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I own more convertible Sunshine Kids seats than convertible Britax seats. I think that will not change for me, unless there is a huge, huge sale.

DahliaRW

Nope, not at all. If they had made the shell and harness height taller, maybe. But they totally blew it. There are cheaper car seats that will last just as long or longer. And until Britax makes their worth the extra $$$ I just don't see the point!

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Why though do you prefer radians? Because of the heigher weight ? Heigher height? Even though its a miserable install and doesn't install very upright?

First paragraph is objective, second is subjective:

Taller harness and shell so greater capacity both forward- and rear-facing for the vast majority of children. Most kids won't make it to 70# in a new Britax or 80# in an 80SL/XTSL, but they will make it longer in a Radian than a Britax. Radians play better in a three-across.

Miserable install, including getting a decent rear-facing angle, doesn't really bother me. I don't mind wrestling seats when I have to and I'm pretty good at it, and I don't generally move my seats very often. I also prefer seats that sit low, not up on a base.

ETA that the point is moot for me, though: I have a 62# 8yo and I will not be buying any harnessed seats, let alone convertibles.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The way I see it, there are two worlds...the magical online world where people make very informed decisions and choose what works best for them. And the mundane retail world, where they either buy the seat they think is 'the cutest' or 'the safest' or 'Graco, because that's my infant seat'. For the online world, the Radian may be way better for some kids in some cars (meh, for me, even the first generation Marathons with the 33 lb limit were *fantastic*, I've never installed anything as easy, my kid fit RF to age 4.5, and FF to 6 and was comfy every minute), but for the real world, the Britax is a massive improvement, or at least claims to be. If it's anything as nice as their old ones, I think it's awesome. Even average sized 5 year olds fit in it rearfacing (haha, like anyone IRL does that? No, I'm happy if one parent in 25 thinks extended RF means '18 months'), and almost 6 year olds forward facing (kids who could be in a booster). Will it still be awesome for ALL kids? No, same way I can't comfortably wear every shoe on on the market. Is it a huge step back to be a teeny bit shorter in the shell and harness? Uh, not if it encourages even a few people to RF a little longer because it actually fits in their car without making them eat the dashboard :eek::twocents:

Melanie

I've had both Britax and Radian. I love that the Radian can do certain things. RF height and limit is huge for me. I specifically bought the Radian to keep DD RF after she outgrew the MA. I drive a big vehicle so it fits. I kept her in the MA while I had the Radian until she topped out the weight limit. I was just an easier seat to install and move around.

I think if you are willing to wrestle with the installation, not move the seat from car to car and you have a large enough vehicle I'd get the Radian.

I'm helping my SIL pick a seat for my nephew. I can't see her dealing with a Radian. Something easy and relatively foolproof like a Marathon works better for the average non-car seat savy population IMO.

emtb79

I dont know if they will live up to the hype, but I just want to play with one in the parking lot to see it. Like a PP said I dont like Britaxes new covers too Ho Hum for me. I like exciting and fuzzy covers and they look like they are fabrics that will peel over time. I like the fact of the easy adjust harness height, but the seats install so easily that doesnt do it for me.

Aurezalia

Why though do you prefer radians? Because of the heigher weight ? Heigher height? Even though its a miserable install and doesn't install very upright?

Yes, I prefer it because of it's higher RF'ing limits, greater leg room, sitting lower down on the seat (The Britax seats sitting way up on a base like that worries me slightly), tall shell, etc. I just don't see the Britax seats being worth as much as they charge. Either bring the price down to something reasonable, or add extra features so they're worth that price.
The second part is very subjective. Installing the Radian in my car has been a 30-second cinch. Very easy. Not "miserable" by any length. Sure, it's harder in other cars, but I'm willing to wrestle with it to be able to use such an awesome seat.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yes, I prefer it because of it's higher RF'ing limits, greater leg room, sitting lower down on the seat (The Britax seats sitting way up on a base like that worries me slightly), tall shell, etc. I just don't see the Britax seats being worth as much as they charge. Either bring the price down to something reasonable, or add extra features so they're worth that price.

Make sure to compare the Radian to the NEW Britaxes, the ones with a lower base, dialing height adjuster (except for the RA55), built in lockoffs, HUGS, (extra feature, extra $$$), rip stitch tethers, energy absorbing base, and several recline options. And the fact that a quick google search can get you one WELL below MSRP.

Maybe it won't really be that great by the time more than two of us have seen it (www.carseatblog.com has several previews), but we shouldn't knock it too hard before we try it (or I guess we should, some of us thought the Recaro convertibles would be ZOMGBBQ perfect for everyone, and they fell awfully short of it :D)

cpsaddict

I think they will meet my expectations, but I love my original Marathon. I have tried and tried to love the Radian and I just don't. Except that Flora cover. :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agree with chickabiddy, although i personally prefer the "other" ERF option, which is my complete air.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC