Question How to fit 2 infant car seats in our SUV

U

Unregistered

My husband and I are expecting twins this fall, so we need to be able to fit two infant car seats in our vehicle.

We have a 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe SUV and bought two Baby Trend Flex Loc car seats, but they don't fit! There isn't enough room between the front row seats and rear seats of the vehicle. My husband is 6' 2" tall, so he needs his seat quite far back, but we didn't think it would be a problem because our SUV is a decent size.

Are we doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone recommend a smaller infant car seat that would fit better?

Thank you! :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look for something where the handle can be left up. The Snugride 22, Chicco Keyfit, or Safety 1st onBoard 35. The Keyfit and onBoard will probably fit very well two next to one another, so that way you can put them in the middle and behind the passenger, and that'll allow your husband to sit further back.

Wendy

canadiangie

Yes, what Wendy said.

Also, be sure that your dh has his driver's seat as upright as he can tolerate. In my experience most tall dads also like to have their seats reclined too much. A reclined front seat is both less safe, and also takes up way too much space. If he can tweek things a smidge he might find that sitting more upright allows for him to sit further back. You might find what I call the 'sweet spot' where he has enough leg room, the car seat fits, and he's also better protected because his seat is more upright.

HTH's

wvmommy007

Yes, what Wendy said.

Also, be sure that your dh has his driver's seat as upright as he can tolerate. In my experience most tall dads also like to have their seats reclined too much. A reclined front seat is both less safe, and also takes up way too much space. If he can tweek things a smidge he might find that sitting more upright allows for him to sit further back. You might find what I call the 'sweet spot' where he has enough leg room, the car seat fits, and he's also better protected because his seat is more upright.

HTH's

I wish someone, besides me, would explain this to my DH. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC