Time for a new seat and need advice!

AmandaHW

I currently have 2 carseats for my boys. I drive a 2005 Toyota Camry.

#1 carseat is a Britax Marathon with a DOM of Oct 2004
#2 carseat is a Britax Regent with a DOM of Oct 2006

DS2 is currently using the Marathon, he is 4years 5 months old. He weighs approximately 43# and is 42 inches tall.

DS1 is using the Regent, he is 5 years 10 months old. He weighs approximately 52# and is 48 inches tall.

My issue is that the Marathon is about to expire in Oct. At that time, DS1 will have just turned 6 and DS2 will be 4years and 8 months. Obviously, I am going to keep my Regent. My issue is what to get as my other seat. Here are some options I am considering:

1-Buy a Frontier85 to replace the Marathon for DS2. Keep DS1 in his Regent until he outgrows it height-wise or until it expires and by that time I can move him into a true booster.

2-Buy a Sunshine kids Monterey Booster and give it to DS1 and let DS2 ride in the Regent until it expires and then move him into a booster (DS1 he will be just turned 6 at replacement time)

DS1 has begged me to get him a seat like his other seat (which is a high back booster for the other car he rarely rides in) but I am hesitant to let him out of a 5 point harness. On the one hand, he is mature enough to sit correctly (he has proven this in the other car) and he is going to be 6, OTOH I do believe that 5 pt is always safer (although it is more expensive).

I am also open to other suggestions for other brands, etc.

Thank you if you have actually reached the end of this post!

Last edited:
ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I think either of those ideas sound good, so I'll just add some more suggestions. :)

I think in addition to the Frontier 85, you could look at other combination seats like the Graco Nautilus or Recaro ProSport.

For other boosters besides the Monterey, you could look at the Clek Oobr, Recaro ProBooster, Britax Parkway SG, Graco Turbobooster, and I'm sure others will be along with more suggestions (I'm not quite at the booster stage yet with my own kids).

I just want to reassure you that a 5 point harness isn't necessarily always safer. Once kids have the maturity to always sit properly in boosters that position the seatbelt correctly on them (usually happens within the 5-7 year old range), there is no evidence to show that being harnessed is safer than riding in boosters. If you feel your oldest isn't quite ready for a booster full-time, then another harnessed seat is your best bet, but if he's ready, I think that the Monterey or other booster can be an appropriate choice for a 6 year old.

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
So your younger son, DS1, rides in a booster sometimes?

I'd buy your older son a dedicated booster, if he sits properly, and pass down the Regent to your younger son. A Monterey, Britax Parkway SG, Clek Oobr, and Recaro ProBooster would be my top pics. Most kids his age and size do quite well in boosters, and there are no data to suggest he's safer in a harness or booster.

Wendy

Jillybeans5

If your nearly 6 yr old is ready for a booster and has proven already that he can sit properly in it at all times, I would give the regent to your younger son and buy a high back booster. You might want to look at other boosters to be sure you choose the one that will fit him best.

If he is mature enough and big enough for a booster a harness isn't actually any safer. But if your not sure he is really ready for a booster keeping him harnessed a while longer would be fine too. So really you just have to decide which one you feel better about.

My 6 yr old is harnessed in his Nauti, I think he is ready(size and maturity wise) for a booster but since he hasn't asked yet and he still fits in the harness I am in no big rush to booster. However if he asks to be out of the harness I would switch him to booster mode in a heartbeat knowing that he is ready.

AmandaHW

Thanks for your input. I do have one more question - it seems like several brands here are being mentioned, but outside of Graco and Britax none of these are available to me locally to try out...so how do I know which one will fit the best in my car?

AmandaHW

So your younger son, DS1, rides in a booster sometimes?

I'd buy your older son a dedicated booster, if he sits properly, and pass down the Regent to your younger son. A Monterey, Britax Parkway SG, Clek Oobr, and Recaro ProBooster would be my top pics. Most kids his age and size do quite well in boosters, and there are no data to suggest he's safer in a harness or booster.

Wendy

Yes, he does. I know I will probably get flamed for that here, due to his age (being only 4.5). It is my Mom's car and she helps me out sometimes when I am stuck at work or have an appointment or something (I am a single Mom) so it might be once or twice a month that they ride in her car. If someone could suggest a 5pt harness that would work for his ht/wt that is inexpensive and very easy to install for her (since she doesn't keep them in the car) I would definitely consider getting her something else.

Maedze

Yes, he does. I know I will probably get flamed for that here, due to his age (being only 4.5). It is my Mom's car and she helps me out sometimes when I am stuck at work or have an appointment or something (I am a single Mom) so it might be once or twice a month that they ride in her car. If someone could suggest a 5pt harness that would work for his ht/wt that is inexpensive and very easy to install for her (since she doesn't keep them in the car) I would definitely consider getting her something else.

You won't be flamed at all for this. In fact, I want to correct your assumption that a five point harness is always safer, no matter what. A child who is big enough for a booster, and mature enough for a booster, is safe in a booster.

I, too, would purchase a booster for your six year old and pass the Regent to your four year old. I probably wouldn't get a Monterey, because it can have significant shoulder belt fit issues, but I would look at a Graco Turbobooster, Recaro Probooster, the newest Compass booster with the redesigned lap belt guide, Britax Parkway SG, and Clek Oobr.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Thanks for your input. I do have one more question - it seems like several brands here are being mentioned, but outside of Graco and Britax none of these are available to me locally to try out...so how do I know which one will fit the best in my car?

You're talking about the boosters? Very rarely do you hear about booster/car incompatibility. But if all you have are the Parkway SG and Turbo, either one of those are fine to buy.

Wendy

AmandaHW

Oh, OK I see what you are saying...fitting my son, not fitting my car...sorry I misunderstood.

OK, thanks for all of your advice, I was feeling like I was doing something "wrong" by purchasing a booster for my 6 year old, I really thought it was always better to be in a 5 pt. harness...I am really glad I found this site to get advice :)

I am not opposed to ordering one of the others mentioned, I just don't know how I would tell which one would be the best fit for my child if I am unable to see it in person before ordering.

AmandaHW

Oh my goodness!

So I have spent the day looking up some of the recommended boosters...

The Clek Oobr is $275 :eek: Is it really that much better of a booster than the Britax or Recaro?

So, I have one no vote for the Sunshine Kids (this was recommended to me by a CPST on another "mommy" board) due to belt issues?

That seems to leave me with recommendations of:
-Clek Oobr
-Recaro Probooster
-Britax Parkway SG

and these slightly cheaper models:
-the Turbobooster
-Compass? Is this the first years compass?

Is the Clek Oobr really *that* much better than these other two? That is really out of my price range right now, but I will figure out how to do it if it really is that much better...

Between the others left on the recommended list...the Probooster and the Parkway...is one of those better?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The Parkway tips less than the ProBooster, but the ProBooster is wider for a broader shouldered child.

The Clek is nice, it has rigid LATCH, it's very comfortable, it comes in great patterns, and I wouldn't spend that much on it. Personally. However, I'd be thrilled if someone would buy one for me. LOL

First Years=Compass=Learning Curve. I can't remember in what order, but one company bought another bought another, and now they're all one. I wouldn't go for the Compass. It's wide and short. It won't last as long as the others.

The Turbo is a fine seat. Definitely the most awesome of the budget friendly seats.

The Monterey doesn't fit narrow kids very well, generally. But it is a great booster, and the belt fit is fine, if your child fits in it (most do, it's the super narrow kids who have issues).

Wendy

AmandaHW

Thanks so much Wendy! The Clek looks really cool (love that Paul Frank one!) but is so pricey. If it offers something above and beyond in safety, I would try to swing it, but since not I think I will keep considering the "short list".

Wow, so now I am back up to a 3rd seat to consider...the Monterey. :D DS is definitely NOT narrow, he is average (IMO) though...the only thing I could "try on" in a store around here is the Parkway (& the Turbobooster, but that is what I have for Grandma's car...he fits fine in it but I wanted something a bit more substantial for every day use)

aeormsby

I can't comment on booster recommendations (we're not there yet). But if you're worried about buying online & needing to return there are several websites that offer free or low cost return shipping. Two that I can think of off the top of my head are diapers.com & elitecarseats.com

AmandaHW

I can't comment on booster recommendations (we're not there yet). But if you're worried about buying online & needing to return there are several websites that offer free or low cost return shipping. Two that I can think of off the top of my head are diapers.com & elitecarseats.com

Oh, thanks! I was looking at my younger son in the Marathon today and realized I may not have the 2 months to decide I thought I did...his shoulders are slightly above the last strap holes...I did not realize until I read somewhere on here that that is wrong? :eek: I thought as long as his ears were below the top of the shell (which they are well below) that he was OK. Live and Learn I think...still can't decide on a booster though!

U

Unregistered

I kept my 6 yo in the Nautilus harness in one car for longer trips when he fell asleep. Does your 6 yo sleep in the car? That's the biggest reason I kept it. However, he asked to move to booster and the Nauti provides enough support for the sleeping as well, he doesn't slouch. The Nauti JUST fit him in booster mode with his last growth spurt. Prior to that, he couldn't have made it. At just 40 lbs, he fit the turbo in our second car just fine.

My ds is 44" and 43 lbs. He did not fit in the Monterrey, we gave it away to my friend who's daughter is significantly bigger.

My older son had a turbo (now our spare) and really didn't like it on long road trips.

Good luck with all the choices!

Pixels

Ears below the top of the shell AND shoulders at or below the top slots AND child under the weight limit. Otherwise, the seat is outgrown.

JakeysMommy

Hi, I just joined and posted today asking for help with picking out a booster for my little guy, too! These recommendations have been really helpful for me. :)

I agree with the gal who mentioned diapers.com as a good place to buy. They are offering free shipping and some discounts on car seats right now so you might want to check them out when you do get your new car seats I plan to do that when I decide on what booster I end up with -- I need 3! One for me, one for my little guy's father and one for our nanny so every little bit of savings helps!

Anyway, I am really appreciating reading these suggestions because I am so confused about what to get!

AmandaHW

Pixels...Thanks.

So, after all of this discussion I took out the books that came with my Marathon and Regent. In *neither* of those books does it say the seat is outgrown once the shoulders go above the top straps. In fact, the Regent booklet specifically says something to the effect of "once child reaches top strap slot seat can continue to be used until top of ears meet top of shell" (then gives a visual).

I am not arguing, or saying you are wrong. I am just perplexed as to why these carseat rules are not more widely known. I am an engineer, and I did feel like I understood the carseat rules, but this is not so.

In any event, Grandma is bringing over one of her turboboosters tonight. I am going to put DS1 in that and let DS2 take over the Regent until I get a new booster for my car.

I am leaning towards the Monterey, I am going to order one and try it out on DS and if it doesn't work at least I know he is safe in Grandma's turbobooster until I can find a good booster for my car which is the one he rides in 95% of the time.

Pixels

Britax used to allow shoulders over the top slots, but they changed that a number of years ago. I'm not sure if the change was retroactive or not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC