New Momentum 65 cover at BRU

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4132502 (Ok, I put this link in and thought it was to the Olympic cover, can you say they are awfully similar? I couldn't even find the ones in the box on the floor because the pictures are SO similar and small!...so I typed the next sentence before realizing I had actually linked to it, lol).

It's called Black Rock, and it's mostly taupish/tanny/gray with black accents, it's a nice velour and the cover isn't all poufy at the head like the weird inflated-looking Olympic cover is.

Looks like the reviews for the Momentum in general (not always trustworthy, I know, but still...) show it being kind of too upright when RF for wee ones, like the Symphony is (it has the same base, the same LATCH mechanism, and no real way to add noodles in the seat bight, as there's no base there to put it under).
Anyway, probably still a nice seat for older RF'ers. Oh, I guess I should check the coverage under the bum on this one, the Olympic has nothing, it's like, sitting on the velcro edge of the cover on the plastic seat when you take out the infant pad...it's really unsatisfactory...I'll report back on the black rock tomorrow. The best news is that it's $20 cheaper, at only $179 :thumbsup:

ADS

Mommy0608

It is the LX, the Olympic one is the DLX. The LX has the Quick Connect LATCH connectors instead of the Surelatch.

That is GREAT to hear! SureLatch is nice in some vehicles but NOT in others. This is good news. :thumbsup: FTR, the SureLatch works great in my van, but not at all in DH's sedan.

Mommy0608

Looks like the reviews for the Momentum in general (not always trustworthy, I know, but still...) show it being kind of too upright when RF for wee ones, like the Symphony is (it has the same base, the same LATCH mechanism, and no real way to add noodles in the seat bight, as there's no base there to put it under).

Can you not put a noodle/towel under the front of the base on the Momentum 65 (closest to the vehicle seat bight)? My Symphony 65 manual clearly states that you can use a rolled towel to adjust the angle. I have a half-noodle (cut lengthwise) under the base of the Symphony 65 in my van because the seats are so ridiculously sloped and the seat sits extremely upright rear-facing. Works great for us, very easy to do. I can post pics later if anyone is interested.

Page 19: "3. Increase recline angle, if necessary. If level line is not parallel to the ground, disconnect SureLATCH connectors and place a tightly rolled towel/small blanket beneath the front edge of the child restraint." There is a graphic next to this statement that shows a rolled towel under the front edge of the base.

Jillybeans5

Can you not put a noodle/towel under the front of the base on the Momentum 65 (closest to the vehicle seat bight)? My Symphony 65 manual clearly states that you can use a rolled towel to adjust the angle. I have a half-noodle (cut lengthwise) under the base of the Symphony 65 in my van because the seats are so ridiculously sloped and the seat sits extremely upright rear-facing. Works great for us, very easy to do. I can post pics later if anyone is interested.

Page 19: "3. Increase recline angle, if necessary. If level line is not parallel to the ground, disconnect SureLATCH connectors and place a tightly rolled towel/small blanket beneath the front edge of the child restraint." There is a graphic next to this statement that shows a rolled towel under the front edge of the base.

It says the same thing, I had to add a towel under the base even if I didn't care about the recline because once I squished that sucker deep down into the captains chair, the latch strap wouldn't tighten any further because of the other little strap that connects it to the seat. I like the recline angle I got with one towel(don't have any noodles lying around), but might need more for a newbie if you have squishy sort of inclined seats like the captains chairs in the second row of my 05 yukon xl.

Jillybeans5

I bought (and returned) the triumph 65 and kept the black rock Momentum. My DS has more leg room in this one, the buckle is different(better IMO), the same as my 06DOM MA and I like the upfront adjuster better. The cover on this one is really soft and looks comfy. Just out of curiosity about RF height I put my 41lb tall skinny 4.5 yr old in it(installed RF) and he had exactly 1 inch of shell over his head. So, I really think my chunkier 2yr old will make it to 40 lbs Rf in this seat, YAY!

Mommy0608

That's great! I'm definitely lusting over this seat (LX, no SureLatch). Where's that drooling smile icon?!

I've already conceded to DH that if DS makes it to age 3 RF in his Symphony 65 without hitting 35lbs, then we'll go FF when he does hit 35lbs. However, if he reaches 35lbs before age 3, we ARE getting a new seat. Unless something extraordinary comes out in the next year, this is it!

(FWIW, I'm totally loving the Symphony 65 - won in a contest. Never would have considered purchasing it, but now that I have used it for a while, it's become my favorite seat for DS).

Jillybeans5

I looked at the symphony, I liked it but need that 40lb limit. My LO just turned 2 hit 34 lbs, turned FF(for a few days), got a new seat with higher RF limit and now he weighs 32 lbs, go figure. But since my 4.5 yr old string bean fits by height(barely) and just hit 41 lbs, I really think it will last a good long time

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Good, I only had to thanks thumb to agree, not come back and report my 'normal LATCH' findings :D

I dunno, the only couple times I've installed the Symphony, it may have been the cars, there was just this *huge, huge* gap, like, you'd need 4 noodles in a square to get it so that it wouldn't slip forward out from under the base :confused: Gotta have been the cars :whistle:

I'm thinking these aren't going to sell well unless people love the covers or the prices drop a lot... no one would pay as much as a Symphony for a seat that doesn't become a booster, at my store :eek:

Mommy0608

I looked at the symphony, I liked it but need that 40lb limit. My LO just turned 2 hit 34 lbs, turned FF(for a few days), got a new seat with higher RF limit and now he weighs 32 lbs, go figure. But since my 4.5 yr old string bean fits by height(barely) and just hit 41 lbs, I really think it will last a good long time

Yeah, of course I wish it had a 35lb limit, and that's why I wouldn't purchase it, especially for that price. I won it in a Facebook contest, and really like the seat. :thumbsup:

Good, I only had to thanks thumb to agree, not come back and report my 'normal LATCH' findings :D

I dunno, the only couple times I've installed the Symphony, it may have been the cars, there was just this *huge, huge* gap, like, you'd need 4 noodles in a square to get it so that it wouldn't slip forward out from under the base :confused: Gotta have been the cars :whistle:

I'm thinking these aren't going to sell well unless people love the covers or the prices drop a lot... no one would pay as much as a Symphony for a seat that doesn't become a booster, at my store :eek:

Huh, strange that you had issues with the noodles... must have been the vehicle seat shape, like you said. We have no isses at all with the noodles. I agree that they probably won't sell as well at this price because of the lack of booster mode.

featherhead

You think your price is bad, just look at the price in Canada!
http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=4360699
At least the Triumph 65 is that bad, it's $149 I think.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC