News I saw a Boost Air (and Onside Air and EFTA65)!! (basic Boost air review info!)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Went to Kmart, and they were putting new stuff out in the carseat aisle. I don't carry a camera with me, so no pics, but they had the onside air out, and the boost air! also, the triumph 65.

The triumph 65 is just the same, gorgeous plush cover though, nice seat.

Onside air was nice, exactly how it looks in stock pics, cover was definitely more plush than a scenera, and the air cushions beside the head seem like a great thing.

The BOOST AIR. WELL. um. ya.

It's hard to describe really. I was blown away..in good and BAD ways.

The bad. It is flimsy as hell. I mean..really, really, really flimsy. Makes a turbo seem built of steel. There was no manual out for me to read, but the back support to the ears is defintiely going to be a rule, it has to be.

Next - it has the oddest height adjustment i have ever seen. there are round holes in the back of the piece that moves up and down and a round plyug piece in the shell, and when you move it up and down, you "snap" the plug into the holes. IT seems VERY flimsy, the plug is on a flimsy piece of plastic, and if it gets broken, you will be completely unable to adjust the height of the booster. :thumbsdown:

On the good side..the head cushions with air protect are really deep, and seem like they will offer some superior SIP. SAfety 1st also has signs on the OA and BA (onside air, boost air) that they have tested the seats in a simulated side impact crash involving a vehicle striking the door from the side. Obviously, there are no standards for this right now, but I am happy things are going that way.

The arnmrests do flip up. The cover and padding seems good for a dorel seat, definitely better than the b ase version turbo we have.

The best thing...it goes really tall. I did not have a tape measure with me, but it was nearly over kates head at the highest setting. I just measured her now sitting against the wall, and I'm getting 22 inches, maybe 23 to where the top height was, as far as i can remember.

So..ya...its super tall, has these great headwings and a nice cover....but its super flimsy and the height adjustment seems questionable.
There is no Latch. The lkap belt portion..I'm not sure on. I did not have anything with me to approximate a lap belt to see where it fell on KAte, but I was not thrilled...it seemed like the lap beltpath was poorly defined and might not give great fit sometimes, but that was pure speculation on my part. It also said it converts easily to backless, but the evil carseat employee lady was being a complete $#%$^ and finally i just left to get away from her angry, upset, glaring self.

Anyway....I just wanted to share my impressions, even though I don't have pics.

ADS

Simplysomething

Jess is threatening people in chat if we don't comment on her thread. Therefore, here is a comment.

Uh, boost air and onside air have to be the stupidest names of car-seats i've seen in a long while. Glad you got to see 'em in person.

sirrahn

If I'm following your description correctly, that height adjustment mechanism sounds a lot like the one on the old Britax Starriser Comfy. That one wasn't flimsy though it was kind of a pain. I actually still have one that's not quite expired.

canadiangie

I read your post Jess.:) I just have nothing to say LOL. :p

But here's what I thought as I read your post: I wonder when they will come here so I can see IRL what these seats are all about. I also wonder about these crappy plastic whatevers on the back of the Boost Air. I want to know if Dorel will ever ditch the cupholder on the Scenera in favour of some EPP foam. I thought about this after you mentioned the Onside Air having a nice cushy cover and I assume a delicious layer of EPP hiding beneath it. I also wonder what they will charge us Canadians for said seat. Oh and finally, I'm not liking all the Complete, Air, Air Complete, Boost Air, Onside Air nonsense. I consider myself fairly intelligent when it comes to car seat names and not for anything can I keep this line-up straight.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If I'm following your description correctly, that height adjustment mechanism sounds a lot like the one on the old Britax Starriser Comfy. That one wasn't flimsy though it was kind of a pain. I actually still have one that's not quite expired.

thanks! i did not know that, Ive never seen one of those.

christineka

The fisher price booster had a clamp and an infinite height adjuster. I assumed that the starriser had the same one.

mom2juliarose

Next - it has the oddest height adjustment i have ever seen. there are round holes in the back of the piece that moves up and down and a round plyug piece in the shell, and when you move it up and down, you "snap" the plug into the holes. IT seems VERY flimsy, the plug is on a flimsy piece of plastic, and if it gets broken, you will be completely unable to adjust the height of the booster. :thumbsdown:

Is it kind of like how you adjust the height of the armrests on a TurboBooster? You know, the plastic comes through those slots, you push them in to lower the armrests? Is the plug you describe sort of like that?

TerisBoys

StarRiser/Comfy owner's manual. It's nothing like the FPSVB, which was prone to slipping down. Page 10 kinda shows how it adjusts.

It's not a simple lever like a Turbo or Vivo, but I kinda liked it, and knowing that small hands couldn't change it easily.

njkj

I went today to try and get pics and they were all in boxes :(

Doesn't Kmart know there are desperate car-seat geeks who want to see these seats out of the box geez.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I'm not certain cookie...I didn't loojk...but honestly, you wouldn't need it...the airbags do what EPS foam does, and supposedly, better, so it wouldn't make any sense to have both.

cookie123

I'm not certain cookie...I didn't loojk...but honestly, you wouldn't need it...the airbags do what EPS foam does, and supposedly, better, so it wouldn't make any sense to have both.

I guess so. Well, I wanted to see them so I went over to K Mart. No Airs of any kind. I did score an Avenue for 17.99 + tax. Expires 12/2017, so not too bad. I've been toying with getting a CA for Matthew, but have had reservations. I didn't mind the Avenue when I had it before - gave it to dd's fiance.

The Triumph Advance 65 was there. I've never looked at it that closely before. What's with that big hump in the middle of a kiddo's back where the eps ends. That seems very uncomfortable. The Triumph's harness isn't replaceable, right?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC