2 kids, short van ride on tour...

DahliaRW

My boys are going with their dad and grandpa this weekend near Grand Coulee Dam. They plan to do the 1 hour tour. Per the info on the web site:

Highlights of the Third Powerplant guided tour include a look at two of the largest turbines in the world and a van ride across the top of the dam. Parents are required to bring their child’s car or booster seat for use in the shuttle van.

So my ds's are 3 and 5 1/2. It sounds like the van portion is very short, and I would bet that the seats have to be carried around otherwise. I'm wondering in this situation if you'd let them both ride in backless boosters for that short trip (ds is usually harnessed, ds is in a hbb in my car and a backless in dh's because it's the only booster we can get to fit in the bucket seats). The other option is a backless for my oldest and the RSTV for the younger. To me it sounds like the van is not in traffic at all, so I would bet the likelihood of an accident is slim to none. The RSTV is very portable, but it's a bit more cumbersome to use (and it'll be too hot for ds2 to keep wearing it on the tour so it would still have to be carried). Booster wise, I have a literider and a turbobooster (hbb, but we could just have the bottom brought). The other seats on the trip will be a complete air and maestro, but I'd like to avoid dh and my FIL having to uninstall and reinstall those!

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
First -- is it legal for your 3yo to ride backless in that state? Is he 40lbs?

If there's really no traffic, I'd probably lean towards it being okay, but others may disagree (or have points I haven't thought of.) The rest of the tour is walking?

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Do they have pictures of the shuttles? Are they 12- or 15- passenger vans, or are they full-size shuttle vans with 24+ seats? If it's a 12- or 15- passenger, you might get by with boosters, but there will probably not be 3 lap/shoulder belts next to each other, so they would have to sit in different rows. If it's a big shuttle, they will only have lap belts, most likely. I wouldn't be ok with a 3 year old in a booster, ever, and I just wanted to clarify in your OP where you said he is "usually harnessed".

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
First -- is it legal for your 3yo to ride backless in that state? Is he 40lbs?

If there's really no traffic, I'd probably lean towards it being okay, but others may disagree (or have points I haven't thought of.) The rest of the tour is walking?

Washington is a proper use state, so as long as he meets the requirements for the backless booster, it is legal. Dorel backless are rated from 30 pounds, as are the Harmony I think.

Having been there and seen where the van drives, I would be OK with using backless boosters for this very short ride where no other vehicles are allowed to be. I have not been in the vans, so I don't know the seatbelt configurations though.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would use a backless for the 5 year old (one that fits small riders well-- like the Harmony LiteRider) and an RSTV for the 3 year old. I'd bring a backpack to carry both of them.

DahliaRW

By usually harnessed I mean he's harnessed all the time, other than possibly in this one case. Sorry! Yeah, I know he's too young for a booster (and definitely not mature enough - but in the case of the shuttle there would be an adult right next to him).

I have no idea how the vans are configured. I can call and ask. I've never done this before, and while dh can do car seat very basics, I'm the car seat expert in this family. So I want to make it as easy as I can for him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC